Respected Contributor
last time I had anaestehia I was a nauseous and threw up for a good hour. I hate anaestehia ! my body seems to reject it. Is the fentanyl any good? I read versad is an amnesia drug that helps you not remember anything (because sometimes the procedure can be painful??)
Trusted Contributor

It's the procedure itself that scares me. My husband had severe pain and long recovery after his.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Ms Morgenjen, I do hope that your husband's results proved to say he's in good health. I'm sorry to read that you're 'scared' because he had a not so good recovery and I'm sorry that the recovery wasn't so good.

On the flip side if you think that was scary, you should be in the room afterwards when your dr comes in to say your husband has rectal cancer. When you join up with your husband after his test before the dr comes back in and you see his face is whiter than the sheet around him you know something is wrong.

Every day my husband and I take the time thank God that his dr found the mass. He is alive today and surviving quite well considering all he's been through from January 2012 through April 2014.

This test is very important for everyone to have. It's not a scary thing at all. We all sit on the toilet many times throughout our days. The prep just makes you sit there longer!

Respected Contributor

It was a breeze! no pain whatsoever, and i woke up immediately after- no ill effects from he anesthesia, nor any pain- I certainly could have gone to work afterward, but obeyed orders and did not...

Anesthesia and the delivery system for it is SO much better now than even 5 years ago....(when I last had surgery)

Trusted Contributor

pink dogwood, the prep I don't worry about. I have a fear of being put under and they told me they have to put me under to do the procedure.

Very glad to hear your husband is ok now.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Frequent Contributor

Just had one last week. My advice is do what the Dr. says. I had 5 polyps removed. 2 that were quite large & pre-cancerous. I have to go back for a follow-up colonoscopy in 6 months. I'm glad that I had it done. Who knows what could have happened had I waited longer. Do not skip this test!!!

Frequent Contributor
On 3/21/2015 italian baker said:
On 3/20/2015 kittymomNC said:

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences about this, both good and bad. I'm overdue for my colonoscopy and have delayed for various reasons, illnesses and deaths in the family, etc. But I know I HAVE to get it done.

The prep the last time was horrible for me, but your posts make me think that maybe it won't be so bad due to different protocols available now. I'm going to call my doctor's office first thing Monday and find out what they use now. <em>Polady</em>, please come back after your test and let us know how the pills worked!

When I had my last one, I had had a hysterectomy years before, and I was not totally asleep at the beginning of the procedure. I felt some pain and told the doctor... he said he was working around some scar tissue from my previous hysterectomy. They gave me more valium (that's what they used then) and I was fine. I remember seeing my colon on the screen and the nurse saying "you're clean as a whistle"!

The odd thing was, prior to the colonoscopy, I had had very, very bad bouts with IBS, pain so bad sometimes I felt like someone was running a knife around inside my abdomen. But after that procedure, I have only had a problem like that a few times in over ten years. I think maybe that scar tissue had been blocking something and he accidentally straightened it out! So my colonoscopy not only gave me good test results, it pretty much cured my IBS!

Kittymom when you call your doctor ask about the Miralax.I just had my second colonoscopy and this prep was so much better. They wanted me to use the go lytely but I couldn't tolerate it. I mixed the Miralax with white grape juice and made sure it was cold. You can mix it with other things. Don't forget about using Vaseline. It really helps to keep your bum less sore:-).Communication with your doctor is key.If you want to be out let him know. I was out for my first procedure because I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time. Didn't remember anything. My last colonoscopy went well also. This test is so important!. I have taken care of patients with colon cancer.Its a horrible cancer.All cancers are. Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions. They are working for you :-)

kittymomNC: Just wanted you to know I got the pills (Osmoprep) . It wasn't completely covered by my insurance however as they did cost me $40 so I can understand why it isn't that popular. I always had a very hard time drinking that liqud stuff even with the flavors. I took these pills & drank them with Ginger Ale and had no problems at all! I ended up with 2 small polys & have to go back in another 5 years so having these screenings are very important. Those pills are what I'll be using next time!!!

Honored Contributor
"morganjen", Never could quite understand "fear of going under" when it comes to adults. Fear of the unknown? Yes, but what is the very worst thing that can happen to anyone "going under"? I have had 3 Colonoscpies with "no anesthesia" whatsoever, so you should be able to request this from your Gastro doctor. I don't recommend it, but if your fear is from "going under", in my opinion it would be better than not having the Colonoscopy. Did your husbands doctor say why he had pain after the colonoscopy? I have had my colon lasered and also have clips holding the Right Colon together. Now I had some discomfort after those 4 different procedures, but I was told what was the cause of this. I would certainly have asked the doctor the why of this. Think I have said enough, maybe too much. Best to you
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor
I'm terrified of pancreatic cancer. My doctor essentially told me bluntly that there was no test and it is deadly. Survival rate is 2 percent. Just disheartening that modern medicine is not keeping up.
Trusted Contributor

glad I found this,  I asked some questions last week before the new forum and can not find it anywhere....

I was suppose to have the test last Tuesday and had to cancel due to terrible back pain so bad I could barely walk from the bed to the toilet and it was in very slow motion,  was afraid I would never make it in time with the 4 doculax I was suppose to take 1st,  2 hours before the Miralax.....

I have taken 2 Doculax in the past and the cramps were sooooo bad I was almost passing out on the "john" and almost about to vomit.....

You say I really do not need the 4  doculax at all!    This would be so much better for me,  I have no problem taking the Miralax....it is the 4 doculax this is totally freaking me out...

I now need to re-schedule the test....what do you think?