Frequent Contributor

I am having my THIRD colonoscopy next week due to my Dad dying from Colon Cancer and since there is family history I have to have them every 5 years!!! Believe me, I'm well aware of the Prep work the day before, yet because of them finding & removing poly's each time it has taught me to accept the procedure!

To my pleasant surprise I get to take PILLS with water or Ginger Ale (or any clear liquid) the day before this time! It tells me to take 4 pills every 15 minutes for a hour (5X) at Noon (for example) then 4 tablets every 15 minutes for a half hour (3 x) at 7 PM. That's it! I'd much rather take pills than drink that stuff so hope it works!

As for eating my doctor's never said anything about what I could and couldn't eat 48 hours before surgery - just not to eat anything after I start my prep. I do however watch what I eat 2 days before and try to go as light as possible. It makes it a lot easier when I'm spending so much time on the commode!!!

Trusted Contributor
I just had the test last week. I was careful for 2 days before and made a huge pot of chicken soup. I had the broth and chicken I had yogurt cheese and applesauce. It was a good transition and better for the test. Good luck
Super Contributor
On 3/20/2015 pink dogwood said:

Holy cow ladies, this test is a MUST HAVE for EVERYONE! And let me also say that if you have a Dr who even suggests a sigmoidoscopy you are wasting your time and the Dr is wasting your money for this test and doing nothing for you. You must have a real colonoscopy to check the entire tract.

So here's the prep you need - buy the 8.4 oz of Mirolax and 2 32 oz Gatorades that are NOT red, purple, blue. Choose the ones that are clear or the frost that's just that, a frosty color. Best thing is to schedule your test early in the morning so that you can do the prep starting at mid/late afternoon to be totally done/cleaned out by bedtime to get a good night's sleep and ready for the first thing next morning. THEN you can enjoy a good breakfast after you're finished. This test takes only about 20-30 minutes, quick, EASY, and complete. You'll know your results immediately afterwards too.

All this is is like a clean-out detox and you'll feel so much better too. Don't do that Go-Lightly drink, no one uses this stuff anymore. Buy the Mirolax and be done. You don't need to start with the ducolax pills before either, just not necessary. It may take 2-4 hours to get going but once you start, you'll be done within a couple of hours. BOOM - DONE and ready for one of THE MOST IMPORTANT tests you'll ever do for yourself, your health.

Nothing to this, trust me. I've had two done, my husband once. His once literally saved his life because his Dr found he had a cancerous tumor in his rectum. 22 months later, he is cancer free all because he had a colonoscopy. Let me also say that when he did his 2nd one, his surgeon found him to be TOTALLY cancer free. We thank God EVERY SINGLE DAY. Our surgeon did his job well.

DO THIS TEST, get it done, be healthy and cancer free. To not get this test done means you're hiding your head in the sand. You do not want to live like this.

ITA with every word and really, this is such a relatively simple thing one can do to address any problem that could become deadly. Everyone should have a colonoscopy!

OP, please contact your doctor's office with any questions you have regarding preparatory diet or otherwise. A nurse or PA will be able to answer any and all questions.

My prep was a breeze and what a comfort it was to be told that everything looked fine after the test. And should there have been a problem/issue, I knew that we would work on it and possibly save my life.

I don't mean to be bossy, just want everyone to be safe and healthy!! Smile

Trusted Contributor

The prep is awful,the exam is good.You are asleep and wake up feeling well.

Respected Contributor
My doctor said the Miralax and Diet Snapple iced tea were fine -- can't stand Gatorade. There was no cramping like the first colonoscopy prep 10 years ago: simply " water " passing. Got to bed at 10:30 and had a solid night's sleep. Truly, if I knew how easy this prep was, i wouldn't have kept postponing the second test. I'll follow up on time in a few years. HTH
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/20/2015 polady said:

I am having my THIRD colonoscopy next week due to my Dad dying from Colon Cancer and since there is family history I have to have them every 5 years!!! Believe me, I'm well aware of the Prep work the day before, yet because of them finding & removing poly's each time it has taught me to accept the procedure!

To my pleasant surprise I get to take PILLS with water or Ginger Ale (or any clear liquid) the day before this time! It tells me to take 4 pills every 15 minutes for a hour (5X) at Noon (for example) then 4 tablets every 15 minutes for a half hour (3 x) at 7 PM. That's it! I'd much rather take pills than drink that stuff so hope it works!

As for eating my doctor's never said anything about what I could and couldn't eat 48 hours before surgery - just not to eat anything after I start my prep. I do however watch what I eat 2 days before and try to go as light as possible. It makes it a lot easier when I'm spending so much time on the commode!!!

My BIL is a GI doctor, he told me the majority of colon cancers are not genetically related. I think that's why many think they don't 'need' to have this test. OMG- everyone should!! My first colonoscopy the drs found a large mass they thought was cancer, fortunately after my resection the biopsy was clear. And I have ZERO family history.

Honored Contributor
I had ZERO trouble with the prep. I ate VERY LIGHTLY the day before, and only fluids on prep day. Came home after the test and had my cup of tea and ate normally when hungry for the rest of the day. WORRYING about the prep is worse than the prep itself!
Esteemed Contributor

They want you to eat clear light foods for a couple of days because it helps make sure there isn't anything "left" so to speak. It is easier for the prep to work, too.

As far as "red" colored juice or foods, that is because it can give a false scan when they are looking at it since it looks like blood.

Esteemed Contributor

The drugs they use for the prep are easier to tolerate than they used to be. Just follow all the instructions you were given. Nothing could be worse than having to repeat the process due to poor preparation.

Clear Gatorade tastes good after awhile. Sad but true.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/20/2015 Still Raining said:

The drugs they use for the prep are easier to tolerate than they used to be. Just follow all the instructions you were given. Nothing could be worse than having to repeat the process due to poor preparation.

Clear Gatorade tastes good after awhile. Sad but true.

Good to know- I'm on the 'every 3 year' schedule.. That Go Lightly stuff tastes awful! My GI doctor wanted me to have it with warm water- I couldn't even mask the flavor with ginger ale. YUK!