Respected Contributor

I have been taking CoQ10 for over 10 years and for the last few years I have been taking Andrew Lessman's brand.

I have been wondering that if this product is important for every cell in our body, does it make cancer cells grow and flourish?

Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

Re: CoQ10 - Coenzyme Q-10

[ Edited ]

@kahootz wrote:

I've always heard to stick with ubiquinol vs. ubiquinone.  I can always remember this because the one that ends in "none" gives you none of the benefits.  I've heard that the ubiquinol is the best from vitamin store employees and also out of curiosity I searched this on Dr. Andrew Weil's website and he says the following:  "Seek out the soft-gel ubiquinol form when taking CoQ10 as a standalone supplement, as this has greater antioxidant efficiency than the ubiquinone form."  When I looked at the product information, Andrew Lessman's CoQ10 has 200 mg of Ubiquinone.  Therefore, I'll be passing on this one.  Thanks for providing all the good information however. Smiley Happy

@kahootz I've had the good fortune to speak with Dr. Barry (who, at the time, headed Kaneka's Research Dept) of several occasions. He definitely recommended the ubiquinal because it was the active form of CoQ10. 

He had me sold until I started listening to more of Andrew's broadcasts. Andrew probably does more research on this than anyone else in the vitamin industry, so I take what he says very seriously. Andrew's take is that the ubiquinal research doesn't back up paying a much larger amount of money for the same amount of CoQ10.

What really sold me on Andrew's perspective was when he explained how CoQ10 gets recycled in the body. So it's not just a use it and lose it supplement. It gets reused a number of times before it's finally pumped out the garbage shute.

Ubiquinone and ubiquinal are two forms of CoQ10 and these two molecules are almost identical. The only difference is that the (reduced) ubiquinal form has two fewer electrons. When CoQ10 is inside the body it is constantly being recycled. The ubiquinal gets two electrons and then becomes ubiquinone. Then when a free radical (oxidative damage) is in the area, it donates the two electrons to the free radical in order to neutralize it's toxic effects and becomes ubiquinal once again. This recycling goes on for a while before the CoQ10 molecule finally gives up in exhaustion. 

Additionally, from Andrew's broadcast today...

Vitamin C works with CoQ10 to cycle itself (they help to recycle each other). They’re in sort of in antioxidant cycle and reduction cycle. So they work together to recharge one another (i.e. Vitamin C helps to recharge the CoQ10 in your body, and vice versa). Your body you can't make CoQ10 without Vitamin C. 

btw, I remember the difference by thinking that ubiquinAL is ALL things to all people. Smiley Wink

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@bebe77    

Thank you for always being a wealth of information.  I also love to follow you on the Wen threads!  

I just ordered the 360 serving size of PC Liver and Brain granules.  I used the granules a few years back and think I'll try them again.  I don't forget things, but figure it will help my brain retrieve data faster.  As far as my liver, I do take Alleve for back issues and sometimes have 2 extra dirteee martinis!  

@jpie thank you so much for your kind words. Smiley Happy I'm really glad that Andrew's info was helpful (I quoted him whenever possible). Smiley Happy

The PC Liver and Brain granules are a great hidden treasure. According to Procaps Labs CS folks, Andrew thinks very highly of them and takes 2-3 servings each day (I take 2 servings each day). Andrew's version even includes a bit of Phosphatidyl Serine (PS). 

lol, your liver will thank you for the PC because Alleve gets processed through your liver... as do the 2 extra dirteee martinis! Smiley Wink

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I have been taking CoQ10 for over 10 years and for the last few years I have been taking Andrew Lessman's brand.

I have been wondering that if this product is important for every cell in our body, does it make cancer cells grow and flourish?

Just wondering.

@CLEM now that is an excellent question and I will definitely call Procaps Labs and ask them about this. 

My best guess would be probably not. What differentiates cancer cells from other cells is simply that they do not have an automatic termination feature in them. Normal cells have cell death programmed into them, but cancer cells are missing that feature. This is why cancer tumors grow and grow in size. 

That said, I'm still going to ask Procaps Labs this question as well as doing some online research. 

I'll be sure to share whatever info I find.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@kahootz wrote:

I've always heard to stick with ubiquinol vs. ubiquinone.  I can always remember this because the one that ends in "none" gives you none of the benefits.  I've heard that the ubiquinol is the best from vitamin store employees and also out of curiosity I searched this on Dr. Andrew Weil's website and he says the following:  "Seek out the soft-gel ubiquinol form when taking CoQ10 as a standalone supplement, as this has greater antioxidant efficiency than the ubiquinone form."  When I looked at the product information, Andrew Lessman's CoQ10 has 200 mg of Ubiquinone.  Therefore, I'll be passing on this one.  Thanks for providing all the good information however. Smiley Happy

I'm pretty sure AL explained the difference between the CoQs and said for the money you were getting a very good source of CoQ10. with his supplement. I highly doubt he would sell something he didn't think his customers would benefit from.

Super Contributor

In reply to Bebe777:  Well the ubiquinone is definitely cheaper so I can see why he would push the sale on that over the ubiquinol.  With what I've read I'm still going to stick with the gel cap form of the ubiquinol.  But, I think it's better to take some CoQ10 than to take none at all, and like I said the price on the unbiquinone is certainly better!

Trusted Contributor

I did a lot of damage today.  I purchased the 600 count as well as the Women's Ultimate Wellness (which help me with hot flashes); K2; unflavored whey; and Essential 1 for my son.

I had heard of Koneka (spelling) even before I heard of it from AL a few years ago.  Life Extension magazine had also written them up as being the best supplier, and further did an article when they opened their plant in Texas. 

I have some unbiquinol on hand from Life Extension.  I pick that up when it's on sale.  I tend to rotate between unbiquinol and ubiquinone. (Sorry for my spelling.)

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your work Bebe.  I don't know if Andrew mentioned this but CoQ10 is being used  to dramatically lower migraine attacks.   My nephew was just diagnosed and the neurologist  said that if  it is taken daily, the frequency of attacks is lowered drastically.  

Honored Contributor

Bebe has some mad typing skills.

:: bows ::

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so very much @bebe777!  As usual, you are a wealth of information and knowledge and your willingness to always be so helpful is very much appreciated 😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt