Respected Contributor

Cholesterol levels going up.

I changed doctors last September.  My old doctor had prescribed simvistatin for high cholesterol and I had been taking it for 4 months when I changed doctors.  My cholesterol had come down to 175 from 225, but my liver enzymes were elevated so my new doctor took me off the statin.  Since then, I've lost 50+ pounds but my cholesterol is now 255 (liver levels, triglycerides are normal).  I started taking Berberine a month ago, so don't know yet if it is helping.  I see my doctor next week.  I don't understand why my cholesterol would go up so high in such a short period of time, especially after losing a substantial amount of weight.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Also, is there anything natural that works to avoid going back on statins?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cholesterol levels going up.

[ Edited ]

I have relied on taking 3 grams of plant sterols daily for the last 11 years. Keeps me away from statins. I take Puritans Pride Cholest Wise, 3 softgels with lunch and 2 Puritans Pride Double Strength Phytosterol Complex with dinner. I do not eat breakfast, but you should take them with your 2 largest meals of the day. You may have inherited high cholesterol, in which case diet and weight loss wont help much.

You can also try OTC Red Yeast Rice, but that is actually a modified form of a statin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trudey I too have been taking Simvanstatin, 20mg a day. I really don't like taking medication of any kind, and that is the only one I do take.

Although I have not had any adverse effects and my doctor says my cholesterol levels are very good when I take it, I am going to get Andrew Lessman's CholestaCare. I'm hoping he will have it on special when he is on HSN the end of this month. I do use his oatmeal, which has CholestaCare in it. Hopefully, between the two I can get off the drug.

Honored Contributor

The reason why I take Puritans Pride and not Cholesta Care from Lessman is because he offers a much smaller level of the phytosterols in his product, to get 3 grams per day,  you would need to take about 8 of his daily.  And his is just the phyto sterols, Puritans Cholest Wise is a very comprehensive formula of other helpful ingredients like garlic, niacin, fish oil, etc. If you just want the phytosterols go with the Double or Single strength Phytosterol complex.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

The reason why I take Puritans Pride and not Cholesta Care from Lessman is because he offers a much smaller level of the phytosterols in his product, to get 3 grams per day,  you would need to take about 8 of his daily.  And his is just the phyto sterols, Puritans Cholest Wise is a very comprehensive formula of other helpful ingredients like garlic, niacin, fish oil, etc. If you just want the phytosterols go with the Double or Single strength Phytosterol complex.

Thanks Shellbelle.  I'm going to try the supplements that you recommended.

Honored Contributor

Trudey, if you need any help or have any questiions, please contact me here, I am happy to help. I have found that upping my intake of 3 grams per day of phytosterols has gotten me over the hump, I was taking less for a long time, and my results have been better with 3 grams. Best of luck to you. There is also an ingredient in Cholest Wise that helps with inherited chol. too.  If you are new to Puritans, once you place an order they will be sending you lots of good offers, and they are always on Mr Rebates, ShopAthome and all the rebate sites. Cholest Wise is one of their more expensive products, but I always stock up when they are offering Buy 2 get 3 Free or something similar to that.

Trusted Contributor

@WorldTraveler wrote:

@Trudey I too have been taking Simvanstatin, 20mg a day. I really don't like taking medication of any kind, and that is the only one I do take.

Although I have not had any adverse effects and my doctor says my cholesterol levels are very good when I take it, I am going to get Andrew Lessman's CholestaCare. I'm hoping he will have it on special when he is on HSN the end of this month. I do use his oatmeal, which has CholestaCare in it. Hopefully, between the two I can get off the drug.

I tried the CholestaCare, with no other medication, for several months while losing weight through healthy eating and exercise and my cholesterol went up.  I've seen reviews that said it worked for some people, but not for me.  Mine reading is borderline so I don't need presecription med but now I am trying garlic supplement and omegas.

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have relied on taking 3 grams of plant sterols daily for the last 11 years. Keeps me away from statins. I take Puritans Pride Cholest Wise, 3 softgels with lunch and 2 Puritans Pride Double Strength Phytosterol Complex with dinner. I do not eat breakfast, but you should take them with your 2 largest meals of the day. You may have inherited high cholesterol, in which case diet and weight loss wont help much.

You can also try OTC Red Yeast Rice, but that is actually a modified form of a statin.

Before trying Red Yeast Rice read some of the literature and the FDA info.  I read that what is available today is not the same as before because the FDA issued a ban on including the statin like medication as part of the formulation.  If there is a certain level in the Red Yeast Rice, it can not be sold over the counter.  Without that, it probably isn't effective at lowering cholesterol. 

Trusted Contributor

Cholesterol can be from heredity.  We mostly think overweight High Cholesterol/ skinny Low Cholestral.       Just not true. At a whopping 98lbs I had H cholesterol, DH  more than double my weight, L cholesterol.  You have to go by the number your blood work shows.--------------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

I definitely think my high cholesterol is hereditary.  My father (deceased) and my brother suffer with congestive heart failure but cholesterol levels always normal.  My mother (deceased) was never overweight and always had cholesterol levels over 300.  Is the treatment for inherited cholesterol issues different?  Does this mean that statins may be my only option?  I was just reading the information on Puritan's Pride cholesterol products and it stated they assisted with maintaining cholesterol within normal levels, but said nothing about lowering cholesterol.  I'm going to talk to my doctor about all of this, but I just want to be informed.