Honored Contributor

It has been two years since I was diagnosed with cataracts.  Checkup today showed no significant change.  Doc said I'm very lucky to be this old and not yet bad enough for removal.  So I will wait another year.

The problems I do have with my eyes and mouth stem from Sjogren's Disease, and have nothing to do with my cataracts.  That disease causes dry eyes and mouth.  Doc said to just keep doing what I'm doing.

Next is the dermatologist, and last is the gastro doc.  I don't go to a rheumatologist anymore because there is nothing they can do for me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Congrats on no change on your cataracts, that's always good!  I go for my third cataract check up since diagnosis with no changes.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  My vision is fine with glasses but when the day comes I'm going to ask them for some Lasik and a little eyelift while they're there.... j/k.... sort of..... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: Cataracts checkup today

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

Congrats on no change on your cataracts, that's always good!  I go for my third cataract check up since diagnosis with no changes.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  My vision is fine with glasses but when the day comes I'm going to ask them for some Lasik and a little eyelift while they're there.... j/k.... sort of..... Woman Wink

@Q4u

All of my life I had great eyesight.  At 40 I needed reading glasses, otherwise my eyesight was still great.  Now at 79, as long as I use my eyeglasses for distance and my readers for close up, I am still fine.  The Sjogren's is a separate thing and part of my autoimmune issues.

Anyway, I had my bottom lids done when I came down with Hashimoto's at the onset of menopause.  The bags were horrible and added ten years to my appearance, they were like water buckets.  At that time the surgery was reasonable and I have not had baggy bottom eyelids since.  Will never regret that decision.  So I say go for it if it's reasonably priced these days.!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Both my eyes were fine until the second year after my cataract surgery.  I am gradually going blind in one of the eyes but 2 different doctors could find no reason why.  Both told me the problem can be corrected with a lazer.  Anyone know anything about this procedure ? 

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

Both my eyes were fine until the second year after my cataract surgery.  I am gradually going blind in one of the eyes but 2 different doctors could find no reason why.  Both told me the problem can be corrected with a lazer.  Anyone know anything about this procedure ? 

@HiLo  I don't know anything about the laser procedure for this.  I would definitely have it soon, though, before your eyesight gets worse or you go blind in that eye.  Why are you hesitating when you already have two professional opinions?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@HiLo wrote:

@HiLo  I don't know anything about the laser procedure for this.  I would definitely have it soon, though, before your eyesight gets worse or you go blind in that eye.  Why are you hesitating when you already have two professional opinions?

@NickNack

Were both docs in the same practice?  If not, and anyway, I would definitely get another opinion or two.  First, however, call your insurance, to let them know what's going on and that you've yet to be definitely diagnosed, hence your quest for second and third opinions/evaluations.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@HiLo wrote:

@NickNack

Were both docs in the same practice?  If not, and anyway, I would definitely get another opinion or two.  First, however, call your insurance, to let them know what's going on and that you've yet to be definitely diagnosed, hence your quest for second and third opinions/evaluations.

Good luck!

@sfnative  I think you meant for this post to go to @HiLo.  I was just replying to her post.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Exactly one year after my cataract surgery, I noticed cloudiness in one eye also.  It's sometimes called "after cataract cloudiness".  I googled this - this is probably what you are experiencing.  I had the Yag laser treatment.  It took a few seconds and my eye was clear again.  I also had it in the other eye 2 months later.  

"The most common complication of cataract surgery is clouding of the part of the lens covering (capsule) that remains after surgery, called posterior capsule opacification. If the cloudiness affects your vision, you may choose to have a laser surgery called Nd:YAG posterior capsulotomy to correct this problem."

You should go back to the ophthalmologist who removed your cataracts.  He will/should do the laser treatment.

Let us know your outcome.  Don't let this go.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I did go to the Dr. who did the catarats ane he told me to go back to my regular Dr. for the proceedure, then told me to get yet another opinion.  I just got the name of a Dr. from Johns Hopkins but decided to bite the bullet and get it done anyway in the next month or so.   I am so blessed this is not my good eye!

Thanks so much for all your replies and advice ladies.

Respected Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

Exactly one year after my cataract surgery, I noticed cloudiness in one eye also.  It's sometimes called "after cataract cloudiness".  I googled this - this is probably what you are experiencing.  I had the Yag laser treatment.  It took a few seconds and my eye was clear again.  I also had it in the other eye 2 months later.  

"The most common complication of cataract surgery is clouding of the part of the lens covering (capsule) that remains after surgery, called posterior capsule opacification. If the cloudiness affects your vision, you may choose to have a laser surgery called Nd:YAG posterior capsulotomy to correct this problem."

You should go back to the ophthalmologist who removed your cataracts.  He will/should do the laser treatment.

Let us know your outcome.  Don't let this go.  Good luck.

@sophiamarie and @HiLo, I had this laser surgery about a month ago by the opthalmologist who had done my cateract surgery two years ago. He did the eye that had lost more vision first and the other eye two weeks later. It is done in the opthalmologist's treatment room at his office. No drugs or IV anesthesia are needed. They dilate and deaden the eye with drops. You stay seated. It is just a tad uncomfortable but not painful. 

I am so sorry you were given the run-around by the opthalmologist who did your cataract surgery. That makes me mad. He is going to have to provide your medical records to whomever does the capsulotomy anyway. It will be okay. You will get the good clear vision back in your bad eye pretty much immediately after the laser procedure and you won't be afraid to have the other one done if needed.