Valued Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery

[ Edited ]

for a bout of levity..........my surgeon takes a photo of himself and all his patients right before leaving the operating room - after each eye surgery. They prop you up into a sitting position and he put his arm around me and said smile for the camera. 

Gave the photo to me at the post op visit in a little paper frame

Just before the nurse clicked the shutter after the second surgery, I asked him if it was a proof of life photo. 

Good luck and please post updates.  

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1:  Sounds like you are on a budget and of course you need this surgery ASAP with no restriction as to lens choice.  Ask if your doctor takes Care Credit (you apply at doctor's office); usually you get at least a year to pay and as long as you make minimal payments, it's interest free.

Esteemed Contributor

I did write about the 2nd doctor, didn't care for her. She didn't do laser and scared me about surgey altogether by I might get bleeding and an infection. Will call again. I have to find someone! I don't know if insurance is pulling me down, gotta find someone confident. Do you know what the drops were given that made everything clear last night only? It was never difficult to find a surgeon for my back a few years ago. This is making me sick and scared. Is it because I can see only on this eye? The other eye never could be straighten.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding a doctor.  Ask the next one when you call if they do laser surgery.  You need to know that before you make the appointment.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@halfpint1- I know you and I have spoken about this before, but please check again about the eye muscle surgery.

I was told my whole life that my crossed eye couldn't be corrected, only to find at age 68 that the correction could be done.

I had cataracts in both eyes removed before I had the muscle surgery, and now my vision is great- no glasses except for reading.

@violann, I know that you've posted about this before. I think it's downright criminal that you were told this very common problem couldn't be fixed.  The eyes will never have "binocular vision", i.e. you won't see two distinct images from both eyes at the same time, because after age 3-4 the brain has trained itself not to see that way and can't be retrained. BUT - cosmetically, i.e. how you look to other people - can totally be fixed, and you will see "better" as far as double vision and "confusing images." I know that when you have double vision to start with (I think you said you did?) it's more difficult to get a good result as to how you will see, but it's still better than the alternative.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Many people schedule their surgeries that are elective based on their budgets.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a budget it is what the insurance companies will do. Calling them again today. Thanks again for all that care and help but I can not see the answers.

Super Contributor

Sending you Big Hugs...... So sorry to hear of the loss of your Beloved Husband.... Bestest Wishes to you ~ 

@halfpint1 wrote:

I put it off pp of having taxes coming up. my dh died last 2-14.

Respected Contributor

My dad had it done to one eye recently and immediately had good results. He was shocked. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor
  • I didn't get good news yesterday. First of all 3 referalls are not accepted. Also I was told by my insurance that they do not pay for lasik and they call it cosmetic. So I have to wait for the 1st doctor which will be at the end of May. This has made me a wreck. The grocery store is very close that I can walk there but the red and green lights to cross the street are hard to see so I look which way the cars are going. I never thought getting this operation would be so difficult. I was on the phone all morning. There is nothing I can do about it but hope and pray everything turns out ok.