Respected Contributor

I hope and pray that those of you who are undergoing treatment, recovering from surgery, or having problems with side-effects, will feel better soon. I do pray for everyone on the Cancer Forum each night, and I'm sure the rest of you do the same.

I came down with a nasty cold (not sure how I got this, as I've been really careful about washing my hands, and haven't been out much at all). I did go out yesterday, as that was the only day this week when the temperature was above freezing. It was my cousin's birthday, and we saw the movie "Frozen", had a late lunch, then bought some groceries. I felt awful when I got home, and went to bed early.

Today, the hot water heater in our building is being replaced, and we won't have water (hot or cold) all day. Also means I can flush the toilet! I ran water in the bathtub, put water in two buckets, and several bowls, etc. Luckily, since I went to bed at 9 PM last night, I was able to get up at 5:30 AM today, get cleaned up, have breakfast, and do the dishes.

I have problems with fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, and I know some of you have aches and pains. I also have been diagnosed with mild pre-diabetes (I am trying my best to change my diet, so I get my blood glucose down to normal range again). Anyway, I get emails from Jill Bauer, Everyday Health, and read the following:

Alleviate Aches:

This pungent, spicy root contains chemicals that work similarly to some anti-inflammatory medications, so it has potential to help relieve arthritis pain. If you’re dealing with aching joints, try adding a hit of ginger to your menu every day.

Getting your daily dose can be as easy as steeping a few slices of ginger root in hot water to make a delicious “tea.” Also try grating fresh ginger into stir-fries or stews, and adding fresh or ground ginger to smoothies, oatmeal, or a healthy muffin or fruit crisp recipe. Or nibble on a slice or two of crystallized ginger to satisfy a sweet craving after dinner.

I'm going to give ginger a try. I have a friend who had breast cancer several years ago. When she was going through chemo, and then coming to work right afterwards, she would chew on a piece of ginger, and that helped her so she wouldn't get sick to her stomach. Her husband also has CLL (same as I do, but he's had it for 13 years), and he recently went through chemo, and is now in remission. Both of them really watch what they eat, ever since they were diagnosed with cancer, and they are doing fine now.

Honored Contributor

bluejay---when it rains it pours!!! You have a very full plate and it sounds like you can't take anymore but somehow you will pull thru all this junk!!!! Take one day at a time--don't think about yesterday or tomorrow, just what you need for today. I'm sorry your son is leaving but he has to go do his thing sometime. I know the timing is bad but thats the way it happens. You are not alone in trying to deal with a possible cancer dx. We all are going thru that or have gone thru that and it is mind numbing for sure. And not sleeping is probably 75% of the reason things are hitting you so hard. I would call your dr and ask for something to help you with the anxiety and sleep issues. I take .05 mg or ativan (lorezapam). It helps me sleep and really reduces the anxiety and helps with nausea. When you are rested things aren't quite so bleak. And if your hubby is a good one, talk to him about it all. Chances are he has alot of anxiety too and needs to talk. Also----try to go for short walks everyday----weather permitting---it really helps clear your head. Remember that you can come back here and rant and rave if you need to--we will talk you down from the towerWink!!!!

PAM

Respected Contributor

Bluejay, I'm sorry your having such a rough time with all of this. They have to know what they are dealing with. He's just covering himself. Neck dissection?? Honestly I would go for another opinion. We're here for you kiddo. Remember that there are such things as benign nodules before you get yourself in an uproar.

lv I hope your seeing the lignt at the end of the tunnel post surgery. Please try to eat and drink water or gatorade. A nice smoothie would be good as well. Ginger tea would be fine. Pure ginger is a bit strong. It almost blew my head off.

Girls we can only take one day at a time.

Jxx

Valued Contributor
LV, bluejay, glad to hear from you both. Sorry it's been so hard on both of you. Bluejay, I'd be going crazy if I had to wait two months ,to get a diagnosis of cancer or not, seriously I'd be getting somebody's butt in gear, and get some answers! It's cruel to make us wait like that. LV I assume the ovarian remnant that they removed was benign? You didn't mention it, so I hope that is the case. You can rest assured you're both in our prayers. Let us know how you're doing. Goldie
Regular Contributor
On 1/20/2014 akaGoldie said: LV, bluejay, glad to hear from you both. Sorry it's been so hard on both of you. Bluejay, I'd be going crazy if I had to wait two months ,to get a diagnosis of cancer or not, seriously I'd be getting somebody's butt in gear, and get some answers! It's cruel to make us wait like that. LV I assume the ovarian remnant that they removed was benign? You didn't mention it, so I hope that is the case. You can rest assured you're both in our prayers. Let us know how you're doing. Goldie

Hi Goldie, I have been getting tested (ultrasound, parathyroid scan and fine needle aspiration biopsy) and none of the tests can rule out cancer, so I won't know if it is cancer until after the pathology report comes back after my surgery. It has all been a process. I do think the ball has been dropped along the way, but I am almost at getting a surgery date so it still is a waiting game until my insurance approves the surgery. Then I have to get even more tests done prior to the surgery. I am hoping to have my surgery within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks so much for your prayers! I really appreciate it!

Contributor

Prayers for all those going through treatments. I have a question for 5 or more year survivors. Do you still see your oncologist even if you are not taking any kinds of meds?

Valued Contributor
Patmo, you didn't say , but I think you're asking about breast cancer survivors. I'm a 6 1/2 year survivor of ovarian cancer. And yes I still see my oncologist every three months. But my situation is totally different from breast cancer. Goldie
Valued Contributor
LV, how are you doing today? Goldie
Contributor

Goldie, yes I am talking breast cancer, I had radiation, tamoxifen and Femara. My oncologist just retired, and don't know if I still need to see a new one. I reached the 5 year mark and am off all medication.

Occasional Contributor
On 1/20/2014 akaGoldie said: LV, bluejay, glad to hear from you both. Sorry it's been so hard on both of you. Bluejay, I'd be going crazy if I had to wait two months ,to get a diagnosis of cancer or not, seriously I'd be getting somebody's butt in gear, and get some answers! It's cruel to make us wait like that. LV I assume the ovarian remnant that they removed was benign? You didn't mention it, so I hope that is the case. You can rest assured you're both in our prayers. Let us know how you're doing. Goldie

Hi Goldie:

I am doing a little better today I got to eat a sandwich. I have an appointment for Thursday with the doctor for them to check on my incision since i still have the hematoma. Its pretty scary that I have this knot sticking out of my incision, hopefully its safe to have this. The ovarian remnant that they removed the doctor said it did not look cancerous. They told me it will take 2 weeks for the results to come back. So I'm praying that its not cancerous. I hope everyone else is doing good, take care.