Honored Contributor

OMG--I am so happy  to hear such great news---of course we must temper our enthusiasm a little--you know Murphys law and all.  But a big yahoo!! I await with bated breathe to hear the outcome!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Hey birdmama--got a bird story for you--last night I was taking down the bird feeder just before it got really dark and heard a huge bird commotion going on ; when I turned to check things out, an owl came flying thru, nearly at the same level as my head, maybe about 6 feet away,, turned it's head toward me and looked at me as it was gliding by----followed by numerous robins and crows and assorted other birds that were all screaming at it,  making its life miserable. It landed in a tree for a few seconds then got chased off by the group of raging birds. Was an amazing thing. Huge birds, owls are and as silent as the wind.

Valued Contributor
  1. Goldie I hope you are getting some inner peace and comfort knowing you are in the best place possible and are receiving such wonderful care. You have been through a lot and have demonstrated to us all determination,Faith  and strength. I have been thinking about you all week and praying for your continued strength and for your doctors so they implement the best treatment plan for you. Sending hugs.    Em
Honored Contributor

@wagirl

Wow

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Heard from Goldie. She's going home tomorrow. The Dr said there is no change in her abdominal tumors from last month and feels at this point that she should be on the femara. So no chemo as of now. She's only been on it for a short period of time so I'm praying that tumors will shrink in time. Thank you all for the prayers. They worked. I know Goldie is so grateful as well. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the update Jackie! I have to say I'm surprised that it was not recommended for Goldie to have chemo--but then again--Femara is working for my estrogen positive uterine cancer--so why can't it work for Goldie's too? Even if Femara just keeps her tumors stable, that would be great! Femara took away one of my tumors--the worst one--but I still have one on my abdominal tissue--it has shrunk, but very little--so I am considered stable, which is a good thing. As long as the drug keeps her cancer from spreading---it's not a harsh drug--September will be one year I'm on it--no horrible side effects and is only tiny pill a day!!

God bless you Goldie----have a safe trip home!!

Respected Contributor

I can understand the Dr's reasoning for not giving her chemo. The reason they did the whole metastatic workup was to see if it is elsewhere and it's not. So if the femara is working why put on something so toxic. She needed a second opinion after what her Dr said to her. I told Goldie I want to be a fly on the wall when she tells her she went for a second opinion and to show her that the spots in her lungs were not cancer. Her testing is done. She had the million dollar workup and now she has some sort of peace of mind. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

@JackieHN - I'm so happy for Goldie.  Sometimes the treatment is worse than the disease, as was the case with the chemo Goldie was on.  If the Femara can keep her tumors in check, and Goldie is able to tolerate the treatment, that would be wonderful.  I'll continue to pray for her, and I believe everyone's prayers have helped her.  

Respected Contributor

Lynn, she just got over doing the trial which almost killed her. She's been through enough for now. If the femara works it will be prayers answered. So now we pray that the femara works for her. I would say all in all that it was a successful trip for her even though she may sleep for a week. 

Femara is nothing. some aches and pains and a few other side effects that are a nuisance but she'll do OK on it. Didn't want to tell her about the hot flashes. Just turn on the AC and stand in front of it.

Valued Contributor

Yes, Jackie, Femara does cause wicked hot flashes--but as time goes on I find I don't experince them as often--the body gets used to the drug and flashes start to calm down. I don't have any more aches & pains than I did before starting the drug--so it looks like that doesn't happen to every patient. I can say this for sure---Femara has got to be a much easier drug to tolerate than any of the chemo Goldie has EVER taken, that's for sure!! I know I was thrilled to pieces when my oncologist told me I am a candidate to try Femara and see if it makes my malignant lesions shrink and/or disappear--and what do you know--it worked!!!! Thank heaven for doctors that are willing to "think out of the box!".............God bless!!