Trusted Contributor

Just dropping in again ladies, to let you know I am thinking about all of you and pray for all of you every day.

Honored Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:
Hello to everyone. An update is that I start my first round of Chemotherapy Tuesday. My Schedule will be three days four Sessions. Three weeks recovery. I'm thinking this will be worse than going through my two Surgeries. I talked with someone today who had Rectal Cancer and had Radiation, Surgery and Chemotherapy. He told me he lost taste buds and heartburn. He said by his fifth session of eight he was about to call it off. It was so debilatating that he couldn't work. Yeah that's not scary? Once again I'm terrified and stories I'm hearing are horrible. While I have to do this it scares me so. I have my three medications for Nausea. That says a lot. The Chemotherapy Nurse told my Son to bring me to my first Session to see how I react to the Medications. I'm told. I will lose my Hair and have heard some People's hair doesn't grow back, grows back spotty or takes a long time. I know I sound really vain but I don't think I will deal well without Hair or Eye Brows. I keep telling myself I want to Home and not go out . People will stare and I'm even concerned about some Family Members and how they will react towards me. Will they want to be seen in public with me? As you can tell I'm not doing well. I will be doing IV's no Port. Any tips you can offer this Newbie will be much appreciated. Thanks!

@kitty4me  I don't know if this is unusual, but my Aunt's hair grew back her natural color and curly, no more grey hair for her. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
@mousiegirl thank you and I had my first treatment yesterday. I talked to a very nice man James who is fighting Cancer in many places in his Body. I think he is Stage 4. I really hope he beats this war.
I was there 9 hours instead of 5. I had extra hydration since I don't bring enough Water. I'm working on this. My Son is my Cheerleader and Angel. He did a great Job and will he be back with me tomorrow and and Thursday for two hours each. Then off for three weeks. They also said I may need a Shot to increase my white blood cells? I'm no needle person so hoping not. Thanks everyone and that everyone's fight is over or you're beating Cancers butt.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Kitty, it sounds like your first session was uneventful.  That's good.  You are going to want that shot.  It will prevent you from feeling bad.  Stay hydrated.  Keep up the good work.

Honored Contributor

kitty--I got that shot too and I had it given into my stomach not my arm. Now that may sound horrible but I have alot of "extra" padding there and I didn't feel a thing---really and truly. The reason I did it that way was because I didn't want to have another "oowie" to hurt over---I had my left breast removed with some lymph nodes so that side was and is very seneitive to any pressure from sleeping on it, as well as I can't have any shots or blood pressure cuffs on that side. Then I got a port under my right clavical so I didn't want to have anymore in that arm. that left the tummy. I never felt it at all. However you will get some major joints aches and pains from the shot. Mine started at my jaw bones and went down my body from there. Was very achy for the rest of the day and most the next day , but then that went away. I could have taken tylenol for the pain but that  doesn't work for me.  Also the key word here is HYDRATION. Drink as much all day long as you can. My addiction was herbal/decaf ice tea. I made a pitcher every day and drank it dry.

Please give your son a hug for me and tell him he is my hero for taking care of you!!

PAM

Respected Contributor

Kitty you did great. Give your son a hug from all of us. First labs then your little bag of goodies before the chemo and then the chemo and then they watch you for a bit. Mine as a 30 minute wait time. Oh the neulasta. Well, I would speak to your Dr to see if you can take Claritin before they give you the shot if you need it. It helped my girlfirend with the joint pain. I didn't know about it and had 2 heating pads working at the same time with motrin. You'll see how it goes. After this session I would go for a haircut and look at wigs. It's going to fall out and it's easier to deal with if your hair is short. Look at it this way. Low maintenace and you'll be getting virgin hair again. When it grows back it will be soft and fluffy. 

Valued Contributor

A very special hello to you Goldie! My prayers to Padre Pio continue for you. So sorry the clinical trial didn't work out. Hopefully your doctors will come up with something else that won't be too harsh for you to tolerate. Concentrate on getting your strength back. Also hope your eye damage isn't as bad as you think it is--will you see an eye doctor at any point soon?

Constant prayers and hugs coming your way........

Valued Contributor

hello all, graciesmom thanks for the extra special hello, right back atcha! How are you doing dear girl? And little Gracie? Give her a hug, guess what , I got a new grand dog while I was sick. My son adopted a little two year old chihuahua that had been neglected. His name is peanut. He's a sweet little boy, he's almost bald from a flea infestation and he had heart worms, but he's been treated and is doing fine . My son loves him. 

Kitty, hope chemo 1 was ok.  Please be sure you stay hydrated, keep drinking and it will help get the chemo filtered out of your system.  Hopefully that will lessen any side effects. Listen to the girls, with all their advice. They know all the tricks. 

Lannie? Bow?  Haven't heard from all in ages. 

Im feeling a little better every day. I'm Slowly gaining some strength back. 

Hugs

goldie

Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Hi there Goldie, glad to see you posting again!  I'm 3 pages back already on my last post.  This board has been busy.  I hope you are feeling better every day and am sorry you had to go through what you did, but you needed to find out if it would work for you. Well, it didn't and I am glad you are off and hope there is something else less toxic for you that they can try.

Oh how sweet - a new grand baby dog, poor little thing.  I'm so glad he got adopted into a good family!  He'll be happy and healthy in no time.

I've been busy with the accident stuff and Medicare stuff and leaving work stuff and getting PT yet.  I am on the phone almost all day sometimes.  But I still LOVE being retired - I don't know how I had any time for work, lol!

You take care and hopefully we will hear from bow soon.  She's probably in the middle of moving - not fun.

HRL

Valued Contributor

Hi ladies! There is a lot of action on this thread this week! It's great to hear from you Goldie! We missed you. Kitty you are doing great and three cheers for your son. Let him know how invaluable he is to you now.  I am doing great and am celebrating the birth of my granddaughter. She was born last night by emergency c_section because her heartbeat decreased to 50. They rushed my daughter in law  into surgery and had that baby out in minutes. She is great and just beautiful!  So grandpups and grandkids it's a great week!   Em