Trusted Contributor
My Chemotherapy Medications are Cisplatin and Etoposide. His words were mild Chemotherapy?
Honored Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

kitty4me---

Hi, I'm PAM. Glad you are here and so sorry for your cancer dx. We all were/are shocked at this beast of a disease. And I can just imagine how more shocked you are at the prospect of chemo. I had breast cancer with surgery, chemo and rads too. I had a very aggressive type of chemo with adraimycin and cytoxyn every 2 weeks for 4 rounds and then 12 weeks of taxol. It was grueling.  I did read up on what you have so know a  little about it. However tho the chemo part is something we are fear the most, it sounds like this may be what keeps it from getting worse. But you should try to find out as much about the treatments for your cancer. The more you know, the better you'll be able to digest it all. And you also have to know, that no matter what anyone says to you about this, you are the boss. Ask as many questions of your team as you need to. No question is too silly to ask. You can ask us here too. Right now you are in shock and scared and amazed---all normal, normal, normal. I hope you have the suupport of good friends and family as they will help out alot. And we are here too.  Keep us in the loop and come back anytime!!!!

PAM

Respected Contributor

kitty4me:  Would it help if you looked at the chemo as something positive that will yield great long-term benefits?  Going through it will be difficult, but if you just put one foot in front of the other and do it you have a chance to really improve your health longer term.  I wish you all the luck in the world.  Rely on your support system for guidance and reassurance.  Tell them when you need help motivating yourself.  And rely on your doctors to know what to do.

Honored Contributor

Kitty, I had 6 chemo treatments three weeks apart.  The way I looked at was I had to do this 6 times.  I can tell you about my experience.  It didn't hurt to get chemo.  I felt nothing while getting it.  Two or three days after treatment, the side effects would come.  For me, that was restless legs.  I couldn't find a comfortable position.  It wasn't unbearable or hurt.  It was uncomfortable.  It would last about three days.  I also had issues with sleeping on chemo week.  I'd be awake for a week, but never felt tired.  The worst part of chemo was I got anemia after the third treatment.  With anemia, I was really tired.  I'd sleep 10 hours a night.  I was slightly light headed and was short of breath.  I had 5 blood transfusions.  They helped with the symptoms.  That lasted for about four months.  I did nothing, but eat, sleep and look after the cat.  I had friends do all my shopping and cleaning.  

I am a wuss.  If I can do it, kitty you can too.  Just think I have to do this 4 times.  Who know, you may not have any sides effects.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl Hello Pam, I want to thank you for your response. I have no idea what to do or where to begin. I thought I was done after my last Surgery since that is what I took from this by what my Surgeon.said Now literally my Post-Op was the day before my Oncologist visit. My Surgeon said now you see athe Oncologist for monitoring and that is what I took from that. The very next day I'm told I need to do Mild Chemotherapy if there is such a thing? He wants to start immediately. I'm like a Deer in the headlights right now. I have no idea what questions to ask or who to talk too? This is the place I chose to come to since you all have been here. This is new and raw.

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 hello, I too am a wuss. Although I pretty proud of myself that I did fighting and kicking do all the Test some really scarey for me since I'm claustrophobic a bit.Then came too Surgeries back to back which were hard for me since I haven't beeen put out. Now this is happening. All the while I'm trying to work on my other two Major Health conditions Heart from a Heart Attack and Diabetes. I have not one time went againt Doctors orders. I will tell you I was and am scared beyond belief and yet I have stepped up to the plate and followed instructions. I feel I have changed a lot since this whole thing started back on December 26,2015. As far as my Family goes yes they do support me though I feel they are in a bit of Denial on how important everything I have done and may go through is. They act as though you do this and all will be good. Easier said than done for me anyways. to me this is Life threatening and very serious. I don't know how to get them to realize my Life is focused on this. I feel they are supporting me in the moment like my my Surgery and then they seem to to think al is good and their Life moves on. While I get that I wish they would call more and check on me, call me or come by. I don't think I should have to ask them but wish they would do for me without me asking. Is that odd? I was with my Older Son yesterday and it was like no talk what is about to happen and as if nothing is going on with me? He has directed me to Friends he has who have Cancer or had it. Tells me talk to them. I'm just overwhelmed with this. I don't know what else to say.

Respected Contributor

Kitty I would say that you are stronger than you think you are. You got through the surgery just fine and that is a lot worse than chemo. Whatever fears you have expressed here are the ones that you will discuss with your Dr. He will reassure you. 

Sounds like your family needs to wrap their heads around the whole thing. My family wasn't there for me only my friends. And I didn't have this board to go to when I had chemo. So it was a very lonely experience. Yes it is all very frightening but we can't let fear over rule the right thing to do. My surgeon was point blank. Yes you will go through he## for 6 months but you will get through it and then live your life. I had radiation after chemo for 7 weeks. I'm still here to talk about it. 

Thank you Miss X for your input. You are a wise woman. 

Kitty we are here for you. You are not alone. 

Jxx

Honored Contributor

kitty--first off, you need to make a list of all the things you said in your post to grc---those are good questions

why do I now have to have chemo when before I didn't-

-what do you mean by mild chemo

what are the side effects

what can I expect between chemo sessions

what is the chemo routine each time

will I need to be driven in for chemo

how about radiation

All very general questions. Take someone with you so you will have an extra set of ears. The more you find out the easier it will be for your poor brain!! As far as your family and how they are handling it--sounds just like my family--I mostly went thru my dx and treatments , on my own but had a few friends that stepped up when I needed them. they should be more comforting and concerned but most people don't want to hear or see anything to do with a cancer dx so they act indifferent. Not a good excuse and I wish I had read them the riot act for that attitude. It's hard to know what to ask. We can help with what to expect from chemo so ask us ANYTHING.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kitty, Pam started you off with a good list if questions.  You're ur family is going to have to shape up.  If you do all the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, etc tell them they will likely need to take that over.  Have a family meeting and ask who wants to take over what.

One important question is a prescription for anti nausea pills.  Get them before your first chemo.  As soon as you get home that day, take one.  Then follow the directions as to how often you should take them.  I took them from the minute I got home for three full days and didn't have any nausea.  That was my worst fear of chemo.

Chemo isn't a ride in the park, but it's not terrible either.  At least for me.  I slept more and sat around and did nothing.  I had no energy.  I made my own meals, but they were very simple.  I pulled a kitchen chair up to the stove or counter and prepared meals.

Honored Contributor

Sorry for the typos, etc, the system wouldn't let me fix them.

My friends did my shopping and light cleaning.  I took a village to get it done.  You need family support.  I think it will be fine.  You can do this.