Valued Contributor

Lovemymakeup,  as soon as some of our breast cancer ladies see your post, I'm sure they'll have some comments. I have ovarian cancer so I'm no help. Just be patient and someone will get back to you. 

Welcome to the board

goldie

Respected Contributor

Lovemymakeup I read the data.. Yes it's been done in Canada and Europe because they didn't have enough radiation machines for all of the patients. However they did the research and the results seem to be the same whether you go for the shorter or longer radiation. It seems that they give you a higher dose of radiation for the 3 weeks. You will have to check with your Dr on that. So if I had the choice and my cancer was that early I would go for the 3 week one. However being a crazy nurse I would want to see the statistics first frm my physician and pick his brain.

Honored Contributor

If anyone was dying to know, the waxing went well today.  It felt good to go and have something done to hair.  LOL. The eye brows still need to finish growing in, but they look a ton better.  The lady gave me homework to use an eye brow brush to train the hairs to go in a certain direction and lay flat.  I made a follow-up appt for six weeks.

Respected Contributor

GC, you go girlfriend. Pamper yourself as much as possible. The hair on your head will grow back and your eyebrows will become more tamed in time. I used IT eyebrow pencil for my sparce brows after chemo. In the old days we used hairspray on a brush. That works too.

Honored Contributor

@LovemyBE wrote:

Looking for some feedback regarding 3 week v.s. 6 week radiation treatment for Breast Cancer.  I have stage one and will be ready for treatment in a few weeks.  I had a lumpectomy in Dec. clear lymph nodes!!!  and margins as well.  Very lucky.  Now I need to decide which course of treatment to take.  Both have similar outcomes.  I am a candidate for either one but obviously it would be nice to get it done in a shorter time.  The 3 week supposedly has milder side effect as far as skin irritation and fatigue.  It is also WIDELY used in Candada and Europe.  Anyone have any experience with this!

Hi love!! Glad to see you came over here. I was wondering if 3 weeks of rads would mean a more powerful dose each time. Jackie has some good info on this as she does with other things medical too. When do you have to give an answer?  I had 33 days of rads, and I didn't get too overly fatigued but was still recovering from 5 months of chemo that wore me out. And my skin did really well compared to some of our girls here. I think if I had the choice I would opt for the 3 weeks. As long as it does what its supposed to do to those nasty cancer zombies. You are very fortunate with your dx and we LOVE hearing that. Just wish you didn't have to go thru any of this. Keep in touch!!

PAM

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

That lettuce recall is something else.  I used to buy bagged lettuce.  It hasn't looked good in ages, so I haven't bought it.

Jackie, that's a lot of snow.  We are supposed to get a whopping inch tonight.

I decided I needed to do something about my crazy eye brows.  I scheduled an appt to have them waxed tomorrow.  I've never had them waxed before, so I'm a little nervous.

How long do you think it will take before I actually have enough hair, so I don't have to wear a cap?  I have a good peach fuzz going.

Pam, Arizona sounds good.  I was there once.  Half the week was spent in Scottsdale and the other half driving back and forth to the Grand Canyon.  I could use some different scenery.

My hair grew in very fast as well as the peach fuzz on my face--that was just crazy!!! My brow grew in ok but my lashes are really short and sparse still after 3 years! I was looking forward to some curl as my hair is stick straight but that never happened--what the heck??? And the color changed from a light brown to this grey, brown, mousy color---boo, hiss!!

Yes I am looking forward to a week in the sun. Will be in Scottsdale alot but my friends live in Sun City, near Peoria in Phoenix. Just saw temps in the upper 70's few a few days but mostly in the upper 60's. Got re-do my wardrobe for warmer temps now. Leaving tomorrow.

Valued Contributor

Pam, sounds like you're really jazzed for your trip! I hope you have a wonderful time, and if you want to come over for coffee and gab, turn left in Arizona Smiley Happy I'm right in the middle of Oklahoma. Will you be able to post while you're gone? Hope so, we want to hear all about the fun you're having. You deserve it

goldie

Valued Contributor

Pam....have a super fun and safe trip....relax and enjoy.  Please let us know when you return and it would be great to see photos.  Glad you're feeling better too!   

Valued Contributor

how are my chickadees today? 

Are my girls in the northeast thawing out yet? It's ice and warm and sunny here. Absolutely beautiful day. I actually felt like doing some housework and de cluttering, then about four o'clock , I hit the wall. Couldn't go another step. And here it still sit almost two hours later. I've had this problem with fatigue, ever since my first time around with chemo. I know a lot of you have the same problem. I just don't understand how something like this can hang on for so long. I guess I could blame the way I feel now on the cancer in me now, it can't be a good thing to have something so poison, in my body. Of course I worry that it's growing and spreading before I get started on chemo again. 

Pit won't be too much longer now, then I'll be complaining about a whole new set of gripes. Thanks for listening. 

Goldie

Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

All - I just found out a very dear friend has breast cancer.  I hadn't heard from her in awhile, and then she called to wish me a happy birthday.  She said she had a mammogram, then a biopsy, which showed she had an early stage of breast cancer.  She'll be having a lumpectomy in a few weeks, followed by radiation.  They need to wait, because she is terribly bruised from the biopsy.  The doctors don't believe she'll need chemo, as they don't see any lymph node involvement.  So I'll be adding her name to my prayers also.  She said she has very sensitive skin, and bruises easily.  I remember reading in earlier posts some suggestions when having radiation treatment, but I can't find that now (how to treat the skin, etc).  I wanted to pass some suggestions to her.  Thank you.