Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

I have been diagnosed w/breast cancer; I see my surgeon on Monday. We check lymph nodes and talk. I like this surgeon! I feel like she has my back.

I am making a point of telling family not to second guess my decisions regarding my treatment options. I'm pretty calm, only having trouble sleeping. I expect the biggest hassle out of all of this to be w/my employment. I'm not applying for Family Medical Leave until I have a timeline in place.

Thanks for being here.

I am on FMLA.  Our HR folks are out sourced and I wasn't given the correct info.  Learn all you can about your benefits before doing anything.  We have several tiers of disability.  Had I known I could get six months full pay, I would have done things differently. 

I will likely need to go back and make changes.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

I have been diagnosed w/breast cancer; I see my surgeon on Monday. We check lymph nodes and talk. I like this surgeon! I feel like she has my back.

I am making a point of telling family not to second guess my decisions regarding my treatment options. I'm pretty calm, only having trouble sleeping. I expect the biggest hassle out of all of this to be w/my employment. I'm not applying for Family Medical Leave until I have a timeline in place.

Thanks for being here.

Well maestra---that SUCKS!!!!!! But you have to deal with it and you will. I third the motion in that you need an extra set of ears with you at your drs appts. I know there are tons of questions but knowing which to ask is really hard. I did alot of research after my appts as I didn't have a clue what to ask before. When you know more, it will be easier. Then come back to us and tell us all about it. Remember, you are the boss and you have every right to ask as many questions as you feel you have to and get the answers you need. But right now there will be alot of tests and alot of waiting. I was dx in April of 2012 and  my first round of chemo June 18 1012. And I was able to delay by 2 weeks my surgery, but tons of appts and scans and tests  before and after that. Just keep your mind on  today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Things will fall into place.

PAM

Respected Contributor

I actually have been on FMLA before. The policy of my employer (who manages to get away with this) is that if an employee takes disability they are immediately terminated. I was told by HR "You can always reapply for your job" I think I said something very inappropriate to her  as a response. B/c I am around children (I teach school-parochial-can you imagine? WWJD?) I have to make sure I am very well and want to buy as much time to recover as I can. I'm going to wait as long as possible before I ask for FMLA. At least I'

At least ll get to keep my health insurance-how's that for a kick in the pants? 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement!

Valued Contributor

I can not tell you how proud I am to be a part of this amazing group! Just a few days ago maestra came here, and told us she was waiting to find out if she has cancer. You all have rallied around her . Maestra, I venture to say, you'll never find another group like this anywhere. We will be with you , offering our support and encouragement for as long as you need us. And I predict, it won't be long until you, maestra will be farther down the road and offering your help, to a newly diagnosed cancer patient.  I've seen it happen over and over. And we will be here until we can shut this board down,because there's no need, and at last a cure is found.  We can only hope and pray. 

Hugs

goldie

Valued Contributor

grace, I'm glad your breathing is better, but take it easy. Your body has been through a lot. Chemo has a cumulative effect. It's going to take time. But like Jackie said, we just get tired of being sick and tired.  And we want normal back. Lord knows I'm sick of feeling this way. I've barely moved out of the chair today, but chronic fatigue goes with fibromyalgia . Feels like I can't win for losing sometimes. 

Goldie

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

.......  I was very tired this afternoon.  My goal this weekend is to get gas, grocery shop and wash the kitchen floor.

GCR - I had to chuckle a little at this - isn't it amazing how our goals in life can change??!!!

Sometimes I had all I could do to get up out of my cozy bed and shower and get dressed.  My sister and I talk on the phone almost every day and she'll ask what I did today and I'll say I did a load of wash and we're all happy about it!!!

Good for you for having someone help - I think it means as much to them as it does to us.  I had to end up taking some of my PTO time, because working part time, I only got short term disability and used that up just with my surgery and all the complications.  But it is such good advice to find out your benefits and take as much as you possibly can - you will need it.

Hope you feel better soon - keep hydrated, it's important.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

I actually have been on FMLA before. The policy of my employer (who manages to get away with this) is that if an employee takes disability they are immediately terminated. I was told by HR "You can always reapply for your job" I think I said something very inappropriate to her  as a response. B/c I am around children (I teach school-parochial-can you imagine? WWJD?) I have to make sure I am very well and want to buy as much time to recover as I can. I'm going to wait as long as possible before I ask for FMLA. At least I'

At least ll get to keep my health insurance-how's that for a kick in the pants? 

maestra - I am so sorry about your diagnosis and can't add much to what has already been said by these very knowledgeable and wise ladies.  As you know more, you will be better able to make decisions - much can depend on the type and stage and grade of cancer you have.  That will all be explained to you, lots of information to take in.  I could only process one thing, one day at a time - that's pretty normal.  And don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they already went over something - they truly want you to understand your condition and treatment.

Keeping your health insurance is a big thing, but it doesn't sound like what else she is doing is even legal - hope it goes ok for you that way, we sure as heck don't need to worry about those things when we are dealing with this.  Take care.

Contributor

Hi All, sorry I've been away from the board again. I think of you all often and I really do apologize for being absent. One reason is that I have so much trouble with this new format but I just have to bite the bullet & get used to it.... I just read about 25 pages trying to catch up on everyone. Bow, thanks for the shout out. Sounds like you're coming along beautifully! Such good news to hear. Lannie, you've been through hell and back. Glad you're finally on the men too. And it's so great that you and Grace can meet in person. You have a huge heart. Hello to Jackie, Goldie, Pam, Indigo and although I don't have chemo brain per se my memory is not what it used to be so if I've missed your name I'm still thinking of you Smiley Happy I can't remember who lost Chloe, but my heart goes out to you. It's so hard to lose a beloved fur baby. I also had a cat named Max, a great almost all black little guy. Sadly I lost him to feline leukemia. I've been busy with the girls, we've had a good summer. Spent 8 days out west; went to Las Vegas, Zion National Park, the Grand Canyon & Sedona. Beautiful, beautiful landscapes out there. The heat was something else (was 117 our last day in LV) but the low humidity makes such a difference. We've taken a couple little mini get away store see old friends and next weekend we are going to see my parents for a few days. School starts on the 12th and we are not looking forward to it one bit. I got the results of the BRCA 1 & 2 tests and I'm negative. The genetic counselor I met with informed me that there was another panel of 34 genes I could be tested for so I did and they're all negative too. I had a breast MRI a few weeks ago & nothing there either. So I'm beyond thankful that I received such positive news. I'll have my next mammogram in January, which will be the 3 year anniversary of my diagnosis. I'm taking arimidex and hating it but in a weird way it is my security blanket because it seems to be keeping me in a state of NED so I'll put up with the ugly SE. Hugs to all, Shugirl (aka Kindle)

Contributor

Okay, so as soon as I hit "post" I realized I forgot to say welcome to Maestra and echo what others have said about this being an incredible group of women. I'm so sorry that you received your diagnosis but we will be here to get you through & support you in whatever ways we can. I also didn't see the option to edit my previous post so sorry for another. And Goldie I am posting on my iPhone Smiley Happy Hugs again, Shugirl