Honored Contributor

Re: Can Anyone recommend High Quality Vitamins?

Labdoor dot com is a good place to check vitamin and supplement rantings.  I just checked, and they have quite a few brands of Vitamin D that got an A rating.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I can't give any one thing credit but I started using ProCaps Calcium supplements after being diagnosed with osteopenia and no longer have osteopenia. Of course, it was a few years between scans so all sorts of things (lifestyle improvements) most likely contributed.

Respected Contributor

One of my doctors told me to take CQ10. He told me his wife only used Andrew Lessman. She's an academic researcher who edits a journal.

I show my doctors all my supplements. Two of them changed to the brand I was using because they felt they were better. These are not in the Andrew Lessman line. They also both knew the doctor who developed them. All the money made goes back into research.

I ask my doctors what they take. When one said to take a probiotic I asked her what brand. She was very specific; she told me what she takes. This was in the dark ages when probiotics were not the trend.

I have my D tested every three months. I have trouble absorbing fat soluble vitamins because of other issues. That's why I get a scrip.

I only take the supplements I'm told to make with the exception of the AL hair, skin and nails.

I see too many doctors. I'm seventy two. Years ago I learned little from them re nutrition, etc. but things have changed because my new set are with a few exceptions, into health themselves.

I see a wonderful female cardiologist. She figured out the best diet for me. It only took about ten minutes because I told her what I could and couldn't eat.

Respected Contributor

What brand of vitamins do you take?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

How can any consumer possibly tell if Andrew Less man's or any other brand of vitamin is high quality?  Because he says so?  I have no reason to take his word as he's just a TV salesman.  I would have asked the doctor what brand she recommends or discuss it with a pharmacist. 

@Kachina624 There are independent ratings of vitamins. Consumer Labs? I think. 

My sister bought some at the drugstore. Her levels did not go up much at all. I use Andrew Lessman's & don't have a problem keeping my levels up as long as I take it daily. I believe all of his products are high quality. Not many out there that are not full of fillers & other garbage we don't need. Andrew is more then a TV salesman. Anyone that has followed him knows that. I would listen to Andrew over any doctor any day of the week. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why do so many people think Andrew's supplements are expensive? Look at the ingredients, quantity & price. Figure your price per capsule or hard rock tablet which ever you choose to take to see what the price is. If you buy his largest TSV most times his price per cap is not much more then a lot of other products on the market. 

Find a Vit D product & take it. Have your levels checked & go from there. If your levels are not going up much I would find a different product to take. Look for the USP Verified symbol as it states below. Don't fall for the Natural trap. Natural worded on a bottle means nothing.

Therefore, your best bet is to buy vitamins and supplements that have been tested for safety and purity by a third party. But how can you tell whether a product has been scrutinized? Look for these letters on the label: USP (U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention) and NSF or GMP (NSF International).

The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) says it tests vitamins and dietary supplements for strength, quality, purity and ingredient identity.

Meanwhile, NSF International says its NSF certification helps confirm that what’s on the label actually is in the product and that the product doesn’t contain unsafe amounts of things like heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides. In this case, vitamins and supplements are tested. Visit the NSF site to learn whether a vitamin orsupplement is NSF-certified.

NSF International says its GMP registration applies not to specific products but to a manufacturer’s plant. This seal of approval, if you will, verifies that a plant is adhering to industry manufacturing standards. Under the GMP program, testing is not performed on vitamins or supplements.

“While dietary supplements can play an important role in overall health, they are not a quick fix or a replacement for a healthy lifestyle, so be sure to do your research and talk with a trusted health care provider before heading to the store,” NSF International advises. “There’s no substitute for becoming an educated consumer before purchasing your next supplement.”

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I had a bone density test dome and I have the start of osteopenia in my hip and my Dr. recommended Vitamin D 1,000 units daily. She said to get high quality vitamins. I have never taken any vitamins  or any medications in my life and I am 62. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Please look this up.  Your body must convert D2 to D-3 so buy D3.  Also in order for your body to put the calcium into your bones you need a director/policeman.  That is Vitamin K-2.  K2 Mk-7 is a long acting (3days) vitamin that directs the calcium into the bones not into your veins or other places like kidney stones, etc.  

I don't buy his but I did add K2 Mk-7 to my bone support.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/12/vitamin-k2-benefits.aspx#

Many times I purchase Now Brand vitamins.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I had a bone density test dome and I have the start of osteopenia in my hip and my Dr. recommended Vitamin D 1,000 units daily. She said to get high quality vitamins. I have never taken any vitamins  or any medications in my life and I am 62. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Please look this up.  Your body must convert D2 to D-3 so buy D3.  Also in order for your body to put the calcium into your bones you need a director/policeman.  That is Vitamin K-2.  K2 Mk-7 is a long acting (3days) vitamin that directs the calcium into the bones not into your veins or other places like kidney stones, etc.  

I don't buy his but I did add K2 Mk-7 to my bone support.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/12/vitamin-k2-benefits.aspx#!

Yes, massive amounts of D3 (or most any vitamin or mineral) will need to be balanced with certain others in order to give optimal results.

For some, timing is also important & can make the difference between getting great results or no benefits at all. 

If you are going to spend the money on supplements please research a little to find out the proper way to take them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama

RAW ONE BY GARDEN OF LIFE is the only one, at this time, that I can tolerate.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

image.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~