Valued Contributor
On 5/19/2014 happy housewife said:

When i started on my CPAP I had difficulty with it really drying out my lips and chapping my face.The doctor said to try it without the humidifier and to put lotion on my face. I have found that moisturizing my lips and face with a few drops of argon oil before I go to bed has made the biggest difference.

Best of luck getting adjusted to your CPAP. Honestly, i felt 10 years younger once I started getting a decent nights sleep. It turned my life around.

Good info. It does take some time to adjust, but I have Lso had some health issues improve with the cpap. One in particular, lower blood pressure.

Helen852
Contributor

You could try the argan oil or just some chapstick and see how that works. There could also be an issue with how the mask is fitting on your face, around your nose and mouth, so if the chapstick doesn't work or you notice air leakage you might want to contact the tech. Don't worry about pulling it off in the middle of the night. I did that several times when I was getting used to mine. I would wake up and pull it off and then realize what I was doing and put it back on. Even had a few times that I woke up holding it in my hand. Crazy! Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I've been sleeping with a CPAP every night for about four years. I love the sleep I get, and I feel so much better. My ENT recommended "Ayr" Saline Nasal Gel -- a pea-size dab in each nostril before bed (before putting on your CPAP). It's over-the-counter and not expensive. And you're putting distilled water in your chamber? You don't have to fill it to the line or even halfway. I keep my "humidifier" on 1.5 or 2 or else it gets too "wet." As the weather gets warmer and more humid, you'll probably feel less dried out in the morning, but I agree with the others' advice to call the tech.

Respected Contributor
I have been wearing a Cpap for 3 years now and it really has improved my quality of life. I use Nasal Pillows. When I first started I did have some discomfort around my nose. I got some Solarcaine Aloe Sunburn relief formula and it helped a lot. I would also say you may want to increase your humidity.
Respected Contributor
I also use Aquaphore Healing Ointment on my lips every night and I wear a dental guard because I grind my teeth. What a sight but I sleep good.
Super Contributor
On 5/19/2014 conlt said: I have been wearing a Cpap for 3 years now and it really has improved my quality of life. I use Nasal Pillows. When I first started I did have some discomfort around my nose. I got some Solarcaine Aloe Sunburn relief formula and it helped a lot. I would also say you may want to increase your humidity.
Yes, Nasal Pillows are what I use now. I could not think of that term earlier- glad you posted it. I've had a much easier time of it than with my original "mask" (My husband laughed when I called it my Darth Vader mask.)
Occasional Contributor

I use saline spray before bed when I start to get dried out from my BiPap machine. I started with a full face mask but now use a Wisp. It doesn't make me feel as much like Darth Vader. I can have my glasses on and watch tv. You will get more used to it as time goes on. It took me quite a while to get used to it. Good luck!

Super Contributor
Every night I use a Burt's Bees lip balm before I put on my cpap mask. I also put Josie's argan balm around my eyes to combat any dryness from air leaks. Daily I use the neilmed nasal cleanser so nasal dryness is not an issue for me.
Super Contributor

Do ask the tech about what you should put on your face or on the mask itself. Some product, like any kind of petroleum jelly, is bad news on the mask because it dries it out. I had one tech recommend KY jelly.

Respected Contributor
For mask users especially, my Dentist told me that the CPAP causes dry mouth and dry mouth promotes tooth decay. He said to use a fluoride rinse such as "Act" or Crest Pro Health before bed.