Respected Contributor

Sorry that many suffer with this medical issue and I hope they get relief.

I hope dentists checked for gum diseases like periodontal disease and other diseases which can cause great pain in the entire mouth.

Honored Contributor

I don't know much about burning mouth syndrome, but wanted to share a resource I've mentioned before:

Please take a look at "PatientsLikeMe."

It's an active community of over 300,000 members discussing over 2,300 different conditions and the treatments, up-to-date research findings, etc.

People can talk with each other, learn about symptoms, share personal experiences, communicate with medical professionals, and much more.

They even help you find clinical trials in your locale for your specific needs.

~~~~~~

About the website: “Our brother Stephen was living with ALS and we thought, ‘there has to be a better way.’ There is. By sharing our experiences, we can all contribute new data that can accelerate research and help create better treatments. Our experiences can actually change medicine… for good.”

Jamie & Ben Heywood
Co-founders, PatientsLikeMe

http://www.patientslikeme.com/about

~~~~~~

Here's one link to some of their info about Burning Mouth Syndrome (note on right side of screen if you go to the link they have over 63,000 members in their Neurological/Brain forum):

http://www.patientslikeme.com/conditions/829-burning-mouth-syndrome#

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/1/2015 floridagirl said: She already has dry mouth from meds she is currently taking. I have to bring her for lab work to see if she is vitamin deficient. I feel so bad for her, she has been through so much lately. She has had 2 surgeries for lung cancer(non smoker) and now this.

Is she currently doing chemo, floridagirl? This sounds like a side effect. Most oncologist clinics/hospitals have their own "recipe" for a mouth wash that helps with this. It is usually a cocktail of 3 to 4 ingredients that is put together at a pharmacy. It is used several times a day. My husband had this after his bone marrow transplant and it gave some relief. His was called Ann Arbor mouthwash, most likely because he had his transplant at U of M. It goes by many names and is probably tweeked a little by each clinic.

It may be worth a try! All the best to you and your mother.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor
On 4/1/2015 Nooks said: Bless you, Lolakimono! What a sweetheart! (That's not by chance a Filipino "Lola," is it?)

No- it's based on a fabric I once found of cats wearing kimonos, and I had a kitty named Lola. If you've seen my pictures on the Fashion Forum, you'll see what I mean. Wink

Trusted Contributor
Remember RR that was on the Q forums?? She had this syndrome and was told there is no cure for it..
Trusted Contributor

Check for a B vitamin deficiency or problems absorbing B vitamins

Trusted Contributor
<h3 style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 1.3rem; margin: 0px 0px 0.817em; font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; line-height: 1; color: #607aa3; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; text-rendering: optimizelegibility;"> Recognizing a B12 deficiency</h3>

Vitamin B12 deficiency can be slow to develop, causing symptoms to appear gradually and intensify over time. It can also come on relatively quickly. Given the array of symptoms it can cause, the condition can be overlooked or confused with something else. Symptoms may include:

• strange sensations, numbness, or tingling in the hands, legs, or feet
  • difficulty walking (staggering, balance problems)
  • anemia
  • a swollen, inflamed tongue
  • yellowed skin (jaundice)
  • difficulty thinking and reasoning (cognitive difficulties), or memory loss
  • paranoia or hallucinations
  • weakness
  • fatigue
  • While an experienced physician may be able to detect a vitamin B12 deficiency with a good interview and physical exam, a blood test is needed to confirm the condition. (Vitamin B12deficiency is so easily overlooked that the Centers for Disease Control has a course for physicians called “Why Vitamin B12 Deficiency Should Be on Your Radar Screen.”)

Early detection and treatment is important. “If left untreated, the deficiency can cause severe neurologic problems and blood diseases,” says Dr. Bruce Bistrian, chief of clinical nutrition at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Honored Contributor

My aunt suffered with burning mouth syndrome for years , tried many remedies and nothing really worked, for some reason it just resolved itself. If I remember correctly she had this problem as a younger woman and the doctors thought it was her nerves. In her fifties she had breast cancer and didn't have the burning mouth at that time. I often wondered if it's not hormonal and emotional in some people.

Valued Contributor

My mom has this and her doctor has her using Biotene and she also has to be choosy about the food she eats, (acidic, etc.) she also had to give up coffee. It is not fun at all!