Occasional Contributor
My mother was just diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome. Has anyone ever heard of this before? According to what I read online they is no cure. She is in constant pain and I do not know what to do for her. Thank you
Honored Contributor

The first i have heard of it was in the viewpoints forum. Not sure if the thread is still there.

Honored Contributor
Is she vitamin deficient?I would go to a holistic doctor too just to see if there is anything that they could help with.
Occasional Contributor
Thank you I am going to a health food store to see if they know anything.
Respected Contributor

I had never heard of that syndrome, until your post, but it sure sounds painful.

I found this, and I hope that it can help you and you mom identify a potential cause of her problem:

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/Burning/BurningMouthSyndrome.htm

All the best to her.

Respected Contributor

Has thrush been ruled out? Thrush is from the bacteria Candida or yeast infection that can present in the mouth.

Honored Contributor

That sounds awful.... if she's been diagnosed then she's been to a doctor. Did the doctor recommend anything that might help with the discomfort? I have dry mouth (6500 ft above sea level and a couple of meds) and there is a product out there that can be sprayed (or chewed) that really helps. It kind of brings the mouth into balance. It's called Biotene and comes in a mouth wash, a spray and gum. I find it very soothing. Don't know if it'll help, but it might be worth a try......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor
I'm allergic to certain toothpaste ingredients. When I figured this out, I'd been using the brand of toothpaste for some time, so it wasn't a recent change or new exposure. Whenever I think of mouth irritation, this is the first culprit I rule out. HTH
Occasional Contributor
She already has dry mouth from meds she is currently taking. I have to bring her for lab work to see if she is vitamin deficient. I feel so bad for her, she has been through so much lately. She has had 2 surgeries for lung cancer(non smoker) and now this.
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry she is suffering with all this....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*