Honored Contributor

@gmkb@I am sorry to hear that you too are going through this...I will pray that your treatments will heal you soon so that this will be just a memory.thank you for your advice and I will definately try to get her to allow me to help.I think lunch or coffee if she is up to it would be nice.My friend is a very strong person and I don't think she likes to show her feelings.

Honored Contributor

Whatnow---so sorry for your friends cancer. I had breast cancer in 2012, surgery, chemo and radiation. I just had my "good" breast taken off as a prophylactic move as well as for other issues. My advice would be to listen and check in with her as much as she will let you. Also I found that having food made for me and my family was a Godsend. If WISH I had friends that wanted to talk to me about my cancer--I had no one!!!  My family didn't , most of my so-called friends stayed away so I was left alone to suffer in silence. My only outlet was my BFF who lives in AZ; I am in WA state. She would let me talk about ANYTHING and offer up what she could. I LOVE her!!!! And, of course, you will need to take your cues from your friend. But just let her know you are there. As for little treats--I would have loved an ITunes gift card or one for my Kindle. Flowers aren't a good idea as I got told not to have any around me during treatment. Does she love chocolate? A good bar of chocolate would be nice. I drank iced tea by the gallons so maybe a nice tea set, if she likes tea.I did get a couple lovely, soft scraves that I wore when I went bald. And new jammies ---what can I say about new jammies!? Please give her my best and you are a great friend!!!

Valued Contributor

What now you are a good friend! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2014 and finished treatment in the spring of 2015. I was very lucky to be surrounded by a large loving family and many friends and coworkers for support. Believe it or not sometimes support was knowing they were there for me but not necessarily doing something for me at the moment. Sometimes I just wanted to go to work and be the pre-cancer person I had been.....no conversation or questions .......just wanted to be one of the gals again. On those days if someone approached me I would just put my hand up and say not today. They respected my wishes which was a huge relief to me as I was trying to get through each day. Point is listen to her and respect her wishes. The gym might be her get away where she wants cancer to be the last thing she talks about. I received many beautiful cards,angels,dinners,hats,scarves,books,desserts. I even looked out my living room window and saw many neighbors out raking our leaves last fall.Everything no matter how large or small was appreciated. Follow her lead. It seems an encouraging card with a sincere note would always be welcome. Each cancer patient is different listen to her and with out realizing she might just tell you how to help.   Em