Honored Contributor

Re: Back -- what exercise(s) have you found helpful?

Depends on what your issue is.  You have to be careful that you don't make the problem worse.

The therapist taught me a regime of exercises for my partcular back issue.  And, there are some movements that I was warned not to do as they would be harmful.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Depends on what your issue is.  You have to be careful that you don't make the problem worse.

The therapist taught me a regime of exercises for my partcular back issue.  And, there are some movements that I was warned not to do as they would be harmful.

I agree - my physical therapist gave me specific exercises to do in the pool and advised me to avoid exercise machines.

Respected Contributor

Tai Chi was recommended to me by a neurosurgeon, though I haven't done it 🙄

I agree that it depends on your issue. I've used the inversion table, done exercises and swimming. Can't say they helped me that much though. 

Valued Contributor

WOW -- thank you all for these great helpful replies!!   I will be re-reading and jotting down notes.  

Thanks again.  Please know how much I appreciate it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have four blown disks in my lower back; it's probably been a good twenty years with those disks now. My doctor was really hesitant to operate way back then because I could still walk OK and, for the most part, the pain didn't interfere with my life. I am 61 years old and blew the first disk right around 30 years or so. And then the others blew. X-rays, MRIs, I ran the whole gauntlet. Numerous times.

Fast forward twenty years or so, and I'm still doing well. Obviously I still have back pain from time to time and I need to be careful. But I can walk OK and, in fact, I walk at least 3 miles a day, most of the time it's closer to 3.5 to 4 miles. And when my back is really hurting, I have found that I can usually "walk it out". I know that many people with blown disks and other forms of back pain have trouble walking during flare-ups, but thank goodness I can still walk.

I also exercise with dumbbells three times a week, do stretching exercises every night and every morning to help with my back. (Right now, I'm dealing with piriformis sciatica and those stretching exercises keep the pain from that at a low roar.) I keep my weight right around 135 as much as possible (excess weight is not good for people with back issues). We have an in-ground pool, so in the summer, I'm exercising in the pool pretty much every night. I'm still able to do everything I want to do (except for the roller coasters; boy, I really miss the roller coasters in the summer. DH and I have been thinking about going to an amusement park and riding some coasters because I miss them so much).

I cannot take any OTC pain meds as a few years ago, I developed some kind of allergy to all of them. if I even take one Advil, my face will swell. Tongue will swell, my throat could swell shut. So no pain meds. Ever. (it can be bad because I also get migraines and can take nothing for them.) Doctors aren't sure what exactly happened, just that I developed this weird allergy. They even had to change my blood pressure meds because the old pills made my face swell. I can't even take an aspirin. I carry an Epi-Pen everywhere....you just never know when I'm going to need it.

Overall, though, I can say that my bad back has not had a really negative impact on my life. I still do pretty much everything I used to be able to do without a lot of problems. I'm lucky.

Respected Contributor

Since the causes could be so varied, I would make an appointment with your doctor.   He/she can give you a sheet of back exercises or schedule you for a few physical therapy visits where you can learn what works best for you.  A massage therapist could also give you stretching ideas.  In my case, my back issues went away when I lost 50 pounds.  I wish you good luck in finding what works for you...back pain really puts a damper on your life.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reba055

My sister is a Tai Chi Instructor with National Credentials. Her son and her son-in- law are both MD Doctors.Her son owns several Pain Clinics around the Country, 1 in South Korea.

Anyone with back issues has to bring her son the Medical Records before she will allow them in her classes. Her son, my nephew, looks at all diagnosis, including all pictures, taken of the spine, more specifically if an MRI was done.

While Tai Chi is not considered a high level of exertion, she takes no chances when it comes to those with serious spinal issues. Wanted to add some more specific information I learned from my sister about Tai Chi.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72

"I have 4 blown discs in my lower back". What exactly is the Medical Diagnosis Terminology, if you wish to tell me? 

As I mentioned in my other post on this thread, I have had 3 lumbar discs removed from my back:  L-3/L-5/ S-1. One of my best friends is a Spinal Surgeon and he never refers to any Spinal Issue with the term "blown discs".

I know what the problems were, via MRI, with my back and by watching my friend remove my L-3, step by step via the monitor he was using in his office surgical room.

Really want to understand exactly what is meant by your Doctor using that type of terminology, if you wish.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had such horrible pain & sciatica from back issues that I could hardly walk to the bathroom. I tried acupuncture, went to a chiropractor, but physical therapy was what helped me end the pain. They stressed it was absolutely essential to build up your core muscles and to keep up those exercises for the rest of my life. Well, I am not good at sticking to exercise, or going out to the gym/classes, but I found a few easy things I do at home to help core muscles and have never had a problem since. One is to sit on one of those big inflated balls – whenever you can (watching TV, reading a book, on the phone, etc.). Just the balance factor helps your core, and then you can add a little lean to the right, the left, the back, the front for added benefit. The other thing I do daily is – from a reclining position (I do it from the recliner chair while watching TV) raise one leg off the surface and hold it in the air to the count of 20 (just enough so the leg is off the surface…not high in the air), then raise the other leg to the count of 20, repeat each leg 10 times. Try lifting both legs at the same time to the count of 20. Just doing that has kept me pain-free for years. Whatever you do, start slow and build up. Hope that helps.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Yoga.

Even doctors recommend it for back pain, especially lower back.

Depends on the posture and depends on the specific back issue.  Some yoga postures can make back issues worse.