Honored Contributor

Re: At what age are dental implants Just NOT "worth it"?

[ Edited ]

I have 3 implants, my husband has 4 all replacing molars.  I guess it depends where you live and whether you go to a private oral surgeon or dental clinic.  I'm in NJ and $5000-$6000 is about right.  That includes extraction, bone graft, implant, x-rays and follow-up visits.  It does not include the cost of the crown as that is done by our general dentist. Start to finish usual takes (us) 10-12 months.

As for an 89 year having implants, I'd look into dentures.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it teeth are falling out it doesn't sound like he has bone left. Which means implants probably won't work. This sounds like a shady dentist.

Honored Contributor

If you're talking individual teeth here and there, he doesn't need implants. If he has no or nearly no lower teeth left and really needs a lower denture or a partial, then I WOULD recommend that you and he think of getting two implants to anchor the denture or partial. Without implants, lower dentures DO NOT stay in. They cost about $5000 per tooth including bone grafting if necessary.

But the process takes about 6 months to complete, so his age and health should figure in.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I was standing at the front desk last week checking out of the dentists office and I overheard him say to a new patient, I don't do bridges, implants only.

I have a 4 tooth bridge that's about 15 years old and thought to myself, if it fails I guess I crown the two it's attached to and go toothless or find someone else because I'm not doing implants.

Honored Contributor

I have made a decision at age 68 that no way will I pay for any implant. They are a ridiculous amount of money, my insurance will not pay anything for them either. So either a bridge - which my insurance will cover half  - or I will go for dentures, also my insurance will cover half of dentures. I am actually at the point where I'm so tired of dealing with teeth that I would prefer dentures.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I did not have my back molar replaced at all.

My dentist suggested this idea and I was relieved.

I had just spent over 2K for a front tooth implant.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

About 8-9 years ago I had two dental implants put in. The whole process took about 8 months, if I recall correctly. Both are in the very back, lower teeth. One I have had zero problems with, the other crown has come off the peg 5 times and I have had to have it re-cemented on, the last time I had to have a new crown made as it was crumbling. The cost for the original implants was $3k each, my insurance at the time did not cover any of it, so I was out of pocket for the whole thing and had to be paid upfront. I am now age 66, and at this age I will not consider getting any more implants, even though my current insurance pays half now. I figure I won't live more than another 10 years at most and it isn't worth the price for that amount of time. I will get either a bridge or dentures, if that becomes necessary. Oh, and getting the new crown made was $1085.00 alone, not counting my dentists charges. I am tired of paying dentists.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

At his age I think  a set of dentures make the most sense

A quality set of dentures that fit well. He needs to see a

https://www.gotoapro.org/why-see-a-prosthodontist/ or a dental practice that makes a lot of dentures.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have made a decision at age 68 that no way will I pay for any implant. They are a ridiculous amount of money, my insurance will not pay anything for them either. So either a bridge - which my insurance will cover half  - or I will go for dentures, also my insurance will cover half of dentures. I am actually at the point where I'm so tired of dealing with teeth that I would prefer dentures.

@151949,

If you are considering full lower dentures, I can only advise - DON'T, unless you genuinely MUST. Upper dentures are usually trouble-free. Lower dentures, by nature, even when excellently fitted, do not stay in well. Dentists all know this, and good ones make sure their patients are aware beforehand. It's why anchor implants are so commonly done for lower dentures.

I have another 4-5 months to go before my anchor implants will be ready to function. By that time I will have spent six pretty housebound months, literally unable to eat away from home other than soft foods. It's getting very old, and depressing. It's easy to think I'm exaggerating; I'm not. I urge you to think again if dentures sound the best solution. They did to me too, and I've never been more wrong in my life about anything.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 I know someone who didn't have her back tooth replaced so she doesn't chew on it.  This affected the jaw muscle and her jaw droops some.

I find that I chew on the other side.  It's irritating to just chew on one side so I'll get it done.  I will ask the Dr though when I see him to get my knee replaced.  He doesn't like it when you get anything done involving bones before replacement.