Super Contributor

At what age are dental implants Just NOT "worth it"?

My 89 year old father had to have his teeth pulled, as they were mostly loose and falling out while he was eating.  His brand new dentist recommended replacing them with dental implants at $6,000 per tooth.  My father, who washed off foil and re-uses it- almost fainted!  I recommended he find another dentist.  What say you?

Honored Contributor

Re: At what age are dental implants Just NOT "worth it"?

At his age I think  a set of dentures make the most sense

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach

I agree... find another dentist who will take a more "conservative" approach.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Inplants are about $2000 a tooth  so I would go to a denture clinic. The elderly can not afford such a costly procesure. i can not even afford it

Trusted Contributor

My hubby just had one put in on Friday. His was 1600.00, so as they say "I don't know what that dentist is smokin".

Valued Contributor

Get another dentist  You dont need to buy individual teeth anymore  Lets ay you have 4 ot 5 in a row  or a whole set  Picture building a fence  They put in at least two screws which are like the posts  Then they put a bar over this  Then they make a set of teeth that clip on very securely   They are so awesome  NOTHING TOUCHES GUMS THE TEETH DONT MOVE UNTIL YOU WANT THEM TO  I have a very well known doctor and he says he makes more money fixing doctors work that dont know what they are doing  Go to someone good  They dont charge anymore  You write me if I confused you  Now I know he is very up there in age but he must live to eat at that age

Honored Contributor

If his teeth are loose and falling out, he has gum disease, and it will keep happening to his other teeth too

I think that DDS  is shady

Honored Contributor

I'm about to have a cadiver bone put in the gum and 4 months later the implant will be put in.  The cost will be around $2,000 for all of it.  It's totally in the back, large tooth.

Esteemed Contributor

His cost is too high.  Find another dentist.  As for age, it would seem this is an individual case.  I know I went from crowns that I swallowed (literally) to bridges that fell out.  I have implants and could not be happier.  My insurance picked up some of the cost...not much but at least I am happy, out of pain and lookin' good.  

Respected Contributor

I'd say that dentist is looking to line his pockets.  Dump him fast.