New Contributor

I'm talking about a full body scan where you get injected with something and then have a scan done that shows your entire skeleton. My dr checked for my alkaline phosphatase levels and it was high. Wants me to have a bone scan to see where the problem might be.

I looked at pics of the machine and freaked out. I'm very claustrophobic and don't do well with tests like this. Also having to lay on the table for up to an hr. bothers me. If you have had this scan, what was it like for you?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Had Bone Scan?

Hi Sheljo.  I would like to know too. I am very claustraphobic and I have to have one.  My doc suggested I call the radiology dept and let them explain it to me.  I will let you know after I call them tomorrow .  In the meantime maybe someone who had one will let us know

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had 2 full body Nuclear Scans. Not sure if that is the same as what you are talking about. WIth this you are injected with Nuclear material via IV and every body part, but you head is put into the scanner.

When I had these done, I am friends with the Nuclear Tecnician, so she positioned the monitor so I could watch this material going through each part of my body.

Both of these full body scans took well over 2 hours for me. They were looking for several different problems I was having, so maybe that is why it took longer. 

I can tell you from watching the monitor and the Nuclear material going through my body was interesting to me. But, it was moving very slowly.

Being able to talk with my Technician friend certainly made the time go faster for sure. She is an animal lover as am I, and we also talked about the number of different Nuclear tests she has done on me going way back to late 2002.

These had no after effects other than my sore back. I don't sleep in a bed because of back issues, so lying there for close to 3 hours, I was pretty stiff when i got off the table.

Those were my 2 experiences with full body Nuclear Scans. I have no problems with these types of scans, or from the many MRI Scans i've had done, many which had me completely in the scanner for my back problems

Only info I can offer you on this.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sheljo

I have never had it myself but I can relate 2 experiences.  One from my daughter, the other my husband

First my daughter had them done at Kaiser, or I should say attempted to.  They injected her with the dye, she had reaction and they stopped the test.  They are still hashing it over.

My husband hhad been diagnosed with prostate cancer.  The grade (not stage)of the cancer was 4 on the scale, which is high.  Also, the cancer had gone from prostate and was touching bladder.  They wanted to see if by some chance the cancer had drifted to bone.  It took a week to get authorized, because of course insurance wanted these other scans before the bone (cost).

They injected him, and waited a while, then proceded with scan..  It was a small room he said, and narrow tunnel machine.  Entire body was in this tunnel.  It was very loud even with ear plugs, but he said the sound was sort of nice in an odd way. Comforting?  He is about 5'6" and 185lbs, and extemely muscular.  He said it was hot, so hot in there.  The  radiologist giving the scan did talk to him on and off.  He never came out of tunnel until test was done.  For him it was about 45 mins.  He was negative for any signs of tumors or cancer spots in rest of body. 

He said he didn't like it, dark and hot.  But he got through it and the peace of mind after was worth it.

Honored Contributor

op--Maybe you could ask for something to calm you during the procedure....My mother always does!

Shoekitty--Thank God your DH's test came back good!Heart

Trusted Contributor

Thank you hckynutjohn  ...I have pain in the bottom of my rib cage...I don't know if I can do that...I am very claustraphobic but I think as long as my head is sticking out I could talk myself into it.  The other alternative is a CT scan.  I have had 3 of those and I know they give off a lot more radiation than the one they inject the dye in.  I appreciate your information , thank you again.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

My mother had a full body bone scan done this past winter. I had to take her out first thing in the morning to get the infusion, then she went back three or four hours later for the scan. In her case (according to her and she has dementia, so take it for what it's worth) she just laid on the table and didn't move as a big round thing moved back and forth over her. She came out fine with no problems.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Being a 2 time cancer surviver I have had many bone scans. They are very simple - you go in they put in an iv and give you the isotope thru it , then you wait for a while and then go and lie still and quiet while the scanner looks for the isotopes.I usually fall asleep. It used to take a long time - it may be improved by now as it has been many years since my last one.if you think you are too claustrophobic ask the doctor for something to help you relax.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone for all your information, it has helped me a lot.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

I had one about 20 years ago.  There wasn't much to it.  The machine is much more open than that they use for CAT scans.  They injected the dye and sent me away for an hour or so.  I went to the mall across the freeway and browsed during my "away" time.  Went back and finished the test.  Don't recall anything bad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment