Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody buying Total Gym FIT?

I bought one a couple of years ago. It was about half of the price of the one they were selling yesterday. It looked like about the same thing. I am sure there are many who benefit from it's use and are happy owners. I had wanted one forever.

Then after becoming an owner I realized for me a 60ish woman that I should not do it by myself and should have a spotter when I used it .  I about slipped off while on a slant and realized the potential fo harming myself !

It easily sold thru a local website to a couple of young women that said they would share it and watch out for one another. Smiley Happy  I only sold it for about half of what I paid for it , but I chalk it up to my continuing education.Woman Wink  I was so happy to not stub my toe on it anymore also!

I feel just as in shape using videos ( a lot of Leslie Sansone) , a gazelle, Marie Osmond's resistant thing, wonder core, and a chair gym. All of these store in my closet . The Gazelle I leave up all of the time and use daily.

Honored Contributor

I was sorely tempted too.  Maybe one day when I feel more settled as to where I am I might take the plunge.  Not an easy thing to move.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

I bought one a couple of years ago. It was about half of the price of the one they were selling yesterday. It looked like about the same thing. I am sure there are many who benefit from it's use and are happy owners. I had wanted one forever.

Then after becoming an owner I realized for me a 60ish woman that I should not do it by myself and should have a spotter lookwhen I used it .  I about slipped off while on a slant and realized the potential fo harming myself !

It easily sold thru a local website to a couple of young women that said they would share it and watch out for one another. Smiley Happy  I only sold it for about half of what I paid for it , but I chalk it up to my continuing education.Woman Wink  I was so happy to not stub my toe on it anymore also!

I feel just as in shape using videos ( a lot of Leslie Sansone) , a gazelle, Marie Osmond's resistant thing, wonder core, and a chair gym. All of these store in my closet . The Gazelle I leave up all of the time and use daily.

@okaywitheasypay

A spotter, really? I have no idea how one "almost slips off while on a slant". The machine is designed to be used "on a slant". What number of incline were you when this happened/were you not using the handles/my TG 2000 has a "foot stand". Most models I have seen, have this foot stand.

You were right to get rid of it. I am double 7's in age, still use mine TG 2000 regularly and in 25 years, not even close to "almost slipping off".

Others not familiar with a Total Gym! It has nice handles to hold onto and a footstand to plant your feet. Yes, it uses elevation as a percentage of your weight as the resistance. The higher the elevation, the harder the exercises become.

I have owned and used countless numbers of exercise machines and never been injured(by sliding off or falling off) any of them. The most potentially dangerous of all I have used, if not used properly and taken seriously? A motorized treadmill. How many need a spotter when walking/jogging or running on a treadmill?

@okaywitheasypay had a problem. How, considering the "physics" of the TG, allowed her to "almost slip off"?  I use mine for many exercises at the highest slant setting, and nothing even close th her experience.

@okaywitheasypay Glad your Sansone/Marie and other forms are working for you. If you are happy that is all that counts.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

OMG!  Every time I see anything about Total Gym I remember what's sitting downstairs in my rec room.  What?  You say?  Bars and bars laying in a box!  The thing is so freaking heavy it can't be moved!  It's been there for a few years!

My daughter snapped the cords that hold the stuff together so I can't move the stupid thing and I don't have enough sense to put the thing together.

Eventually (when I move from here) it will move too!

@Annabellethecat66  You took the words right out of my mouth!  I had the one @hckynut mentioned he had from 25 years ago...heavy, a pain to set up and tear down..... I payed 1-800 Got Junk to come out and haul it away for me a couple  of months ago.  So glad to get rid of it!  Worse purchase EVER!!

Respected Contributor

@hckynut "have owned and used countless numbers of exercise machines and never been injured(by sliding off or falling off) any of them

good for you!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I've seen that truck around....so all you do is call them and they come?  What does it cost?  Everything I have still works but I don't want it.  I just have a problem (other than that thing) paying someone to come and get stuff I bought, not broken and some not even used.

You've given me an idea though about getting rid of that stuff!  Ha!  Thanks for the information.  I was trying to remember how long I've had it sitting there....maybe 5 years!  It's right next to the treadmill.  I want to use the treadmill when I get my new knees so it will be worth it.

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@hckynut "have owned and used countless numbers of exercise machines and never been injured(by sliding off or falling off) any of them

good for you!

@okaywitheasypay

Thank you. I learned to respect all machinery at age 16 when I started my many years of Auto Racing around most of the Midwest.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  1-800 junk is the best thing since sliced bread!   Anytime you have stuff to get rid of..... go online to their website and set it up online for the time you want them to come. You can get a discount for setting it up on line rather than by phone.

They come all times of the day and night. They move and lift EVERYTHING FOR YOU.  So If you have say a large couch you do not want you just point to it and, they will take it away. 

It can be goods( which if it is donatable they will go and donate it or if it is junk they will dump it)  It can be anything pretty much.

When they come out, the head guy will give you a price. You either accept it, or  say no. It is up to you.  I had a huge pile of old heavy exercise equiptment that they hauled away for $340.00 plus I tipped the guy another $20.  It is nice to tip them since they are probably not payed a whole lot. Price really depends on how much and what it is... it old computers and tvs there may be an extra charge to take those away. But it really is reasonable.

They are polite, on time and even sweep up any mess. I use them often whenever I just want to get rid of a big item or several items.  I do not want to deal with selling stuff. 

Respected Contributor

I'm with John. Best money ever spent. I had the original, son took it to college 15 years ago. He still uses it. I upgraded to the 3000. Still use it.  Hubby bought one to use at work,  he's too tall to use it comfortably. It's in the garage as a spare parts thing.  We've never slid off either. 

With any kind of exercise equipment there has to be dedication to using it.  I fold mine up every day. I'm 60 and 5'4". It is heavy and for many too much work. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No way, I'm not buying this or any other piece of exercise equipment.  I bought the 5-cord Pilates Reformer a little over a year ago and it is one of my most regrettable purchases among other home exercise equipment pieces I bought in prior years.  They all sound good and you really get yourself worked up, thinking this is the ticket to good health and weightloss.  In reality, I've thrown good money after bad several times due to my good intentions.  The truth of the matter, for me anyway, is that when I can stay home I find it easier to avoid the exercise and then I end up not doing it at all.  By being accountable to an exercise partner and paying a membership to the local health club, I feel more committed.