Esteemed Contributor

Anybody buying Total Gym FIT?

I'm really temped; I'm on the fence....anyone have one and love it?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody buying Total Gym FIT?

My personal opinion is that the equipment is way over-priced for what you are getting.

I have a Pilates Reformer (paid $225, although a number of years ago), which accomplishes the same thing. What I prefer about the Pilates is that it has cords for resistance as opposed to the Total Gym, which uses progressive incline as the means of resistance. I don't care for incline as a means of resistance as it is awkward and your body is not even when you sit sideways as opposed to sitting sideways on a level bench.

I think you could do better with any of the various Pilates combos offered. There is even another Total Gym that costs way less than this one. I just don't understand how they can rationalize the price on this one.

Honored Contributor

OMG!  Every time I see anything about Total Gym I remember what's sitting downstairs in my rec room.  What?  You say?  Bars and bars laying in a box!  The thing is so freaking heavy it can't be moved!  It's been there for a few years!

My daughter snapped the cords that hold the stuff together so I can't move the stupid thing and I don't have enough sense to put the thing together.

Eventually (when I move from here) it will move too!

Honored Contributor

Make sure you are totally committed to using the thing............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

sarina gave you great advice. How is your upper body strength?

The Total Gym uses your upper body strength and incline to build muscle.  A pilates machine will help you with a flatter/more stable level surface.

You won't get as intense a workout on pilates but if you don't have the upper body strength for Total Gym, pilates is a good place to start.

So many women are concerned with bone health when it's your muscles that will keep you agile.

Honored Contributor

I had a Total Gym.   Took up a lot of room.   I talked my plumber into taking it for his son. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I had a Total Gym.   Took up a lot of room.   I talked my plumber into taking it for his son. 

@Kachina624   My girlfriend has some kind of great big gym contraption......don't really know what it is..........but she uses it to hang her drip-dry clothes............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Never again - $1000 for a ski treadmill - talked somebody in to take it away - then $1000 for regular treadmill - (concrete weight) - electronics switched to full speed ahead - threw me off going so fast - ............talked somebody in to take it away!  You couldn't give me one for FREE!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own that model (bought from Total Gym directly about 2 years ago when they were having a 50% off sale) and love, love it. I use it daily. I'm a true Total Gym addict!

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what a Total Gym Fit might be. I have had a Total Gym 2000 for close to 25 years. It does every thing as advertised. It is also easy to improvise countless numbers of my own exercise. 

You can use it to tone/build muscle/abdominal workouts/some cardio, and yes, even stretching. Those that say this type of Total Gym cannot be used for my list above?  Maybe I am more improvisational with exercise machines.

My Total Gym was/is worth every penny I paid for it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)