Respected Contributor

Any tips/advice for knee arthroscopic surgery?

Just thought I would see if anyone would care to share tips for knee arthroscopic surgery. My surgery was originally scheduled for 10/27, but now I got a call yesterday and will be having it in two days, 10/14. Someone else cancelled so I was offered their slot. I'm a little hyped up about it as I wasn't quite planning for it this soon, but it will be good to get it over with. I have a torn lateral miniscus, and who knows what else. And being 60 years old, I also have my fair share of arthritis. I sure hope the surgery helps as I've gone back and forth on having it done, but ultimately think I need to try. My knee catches a lot and then won't bend sometimes at all. Also, I've been on Celebrex for three months and I HAVE to get off of it!

I would appreciate any tips or advice for after care. It's always interesting to hear about the experience of others. I'm hoping this surgery will be the gift I need...the day of my surgery, 10/14, is also my birthday. Ha!!!

Thanks in advance,

pup 

Valued Contributor

Re: Any tips/advice for knee arthroscopic surgery?

@pupwhipped wrote:

Just thought I would see if anyone would care to share tips for knee arthroscopic surgery. My surgery was originally scheduled for 10/27, but now I got a call yesterday and will be having it in two days, 10/14. Someone else cancelled so I was offered their slot. I'm a little hyped up about it as I wasn't quite planning for it this soon, but it will be good to get it over with. I have a torn lateral miniscus, and who knows what else. And being 60 years old, I also have my fair share of arthritis. I sure hope the surgery helps as I've gone back and forth on having it done, but ultimately think I need to try. My knee catches a lot and then won't bend sometimes at all. Also, I've been on Celebrex for three months and I HAVE to get off of it!

I would appreciate any tips or advice for after care. It's always interesting to hear about the experience of others. I'm hoping this surgery will be the gift I need...the day of my surgery, 10/14, is also my birthday. Ha!!!

Thanks in advance,

pup 

Hi I had the same condition on my right knee , the same problem, a bit older than you and my arthritus very bad. I had this procedure done 3 years ago. Don't worry , it's not that bad.  I went home the same day,they gave me strong pain killer which I never use,did not need.My bedroom located on second floor and I got this by myself.Was thinking that I gonna stuck there for sometime but next day my son came and you know when you see your kid you forgot everything, anyway I went somehow in the kitchen (even everybody told me don't do) but I wanted to be there not in the bed. I just tell you all of that becouse for  me at was not that bad.After I guess one month I had physiotherapy.Did not help with my arthritus but this is different issue. I was happy that I did this procedure. I hope it's helps and good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Mlsg, thank you so very much! That's the kind of story I want to hear. Makes me feel better about it. Course, I know we are all different and have different issues, and so our outcomes can certainly vary. I hope I do as well as you. Actually, I can't believe you did those stairs and all after surgery. But as you said, being with your children is a big motivator!

Thanks again for your reply. I do appreciate it.

Best to YOU!

pup 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhipped

Too late to be able to tell you much about getting your body ready before surgery. With any surgery, the better physical and mental shape a person is, generally produces better results.

I have never had a knee joint problem, but did suffer for 4 months from Patella Tendonitis. I had to go to PT 3 days a week over those months, plus exercises at home the other 4 days.

I could not run/skate or use my elliptical or NuStep machines. I would have much preferred having knee surgery. Inflammation of any weight bearing ligament or tendon is measured in months, not weeks. As an athlete, this was not an easy time for me.

Many of my hockey players, all older chronologically than yourself, have had meniscus scope surgery, the oldest was 74.

One of my players is an Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes in hip and knee replacement and repair. He did the surgery on all these players, and none of them missed more than 2 weekly games.

They were back skating after a week post surgery and rehab, and my Ortho friend would check their knees and give them the green light to play when he felt everything was healed enough to play.

Now all these men were in top physical condition, which you pretty much have to be, if you want to actually enjoy, this physically challenging game. Athletes usually work much harder at rehab than others, mostly because they want to get back to their sport as soon as safely possible.

My Ortho friend says that an average person having scoped meniscus surgery, with working hard a rehab, takes at most 4-6 weeks. This of course depends on the amount of damage to the meniscus and to repair it.

This is pretty common surgery for many says my Ortho doctor, moreso for the ladies because of their hip structure and less muscle mass surrounding and supporting the knee joint.

As far as aftercare? Once again, follow the instructions of your surgeon. If he recommends seeing a Physical Therapist, do so. There are specific exercises that are usually done after any knee surgery, primarily to get back the "full range of motion % of the knee", or as close to it as possible.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped  I had the same thing and had surgery in May.  I was 63 then.  Surgery was quick and over soon.  I really had little pain - only a bit of soreness and a lot of swelling.  I stupidly listened to suggestions from nurse to ask for pain killer before leaving and she said make sure to take another that evening then the next day before therapy and the constipation misery was way worse then the surgery.  I would not have needed the pain killers at all and never took more.  I used crutches the day I went home and could put full weight on that leg but after my first therapy session the next day was shown how to use only one which I only used for about 2 more days.  Just do your therapy and daily exercises and you'll be fine and thankful you did it.  My doctor didn't release me for 6 weeks and said expect another 6 weeks to fully recover.  At 6 weeks there were no restrictions and I gradually resumed walking my dog 3 miles a day and doing Zumba 3 times a week.  I'm an ideopathic sweller so my knee still swells at times and is  a bit stiff  but it is stable and much better than it was for years before knowing I had a torn miniscus.  Good Luck!!  

Valued Contributor

It has been a number of years since my knee surgery, but I can tell you that I was back to my aerobic class in 3 weeks doing a low level workout.  I was 63 at the time, and hardly a jock!

I also recall that it was about 6 months after the surgery that I realized I was no longer favoring that knee. 

I believe you will be surprised at how quickly you are back to normal.  The most important thing is to use the re-hab services as soon, and as long, as you can.  Don't skimp on those exercises!

If you can borrow a walker and /or a cane for the first week, you will be glad you have them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhipped

I had this surgery in May, 2007.  In July of the same year I was trekking around the Alps.  My pain was minimal and my recovering was pretty quick and uneventful..  Mine was done as an outpatient procedure; I was given  an apparatus for my knee to be filled with ice water and worn for the first 24 hours.  I had a cane. I did not have physical therapy, rather was given a schedule of when I could do different forms of exercise.

The last 2 years I've had a lot of trouble with the same knee.  I've been through the temporary fixes of shots and am now looking to a knee replacement.  Monday I felt a pop and tomorrow I have an appointment as I need a plan to get me through a trip with my sister and the holidays. 

Good luck and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

John @hckynut, thanks so much for the reply and encouragement. Well, I am soooooo not in good shape, that's for sure. Ha! I've had a few things going on in the last year or so and I'm slowly trying to address them all. After my knee deal, I will be figuring out sleep apnea problems and insomnia issues. Hopefully I can eventually get some pep back in my step! A few weeks ago when my knee wouldn't bend at all, I did go to physical therapy. It helped a lot! As soon as my doctor gives me the go ahead after surgery, I will be back to therapy and working hard as then my knee will be ready to roll, I HOPE.

Thanks for the info from your ortho friend about time frame and all. Good to know. As soon as I can get back in the saddle, my husband has to have a repeat of hernia repair surgery. It's always something, isn't it?! Wait a minute...you know that better then anyone I can even think of. HA!

Best to you and your wife, John!

pup

Respected Contributor

@Pook, I literally laughed out loud at the constipation problem. BUTT, we all know it is no laughing matter. HA! I will keep on top of that, and hope to not have to take any pain pills as they tend to make me nauseous anyway. But, you never know and I may need them. I will have my Colace on hand, that's for sure.

Sooooooooo good to hear you did well. Very encouraging to me. Honestly, I should have had this surgery last year but my dog got cancer in the mouth and I cancelled the surgery. Had to take care of my baby. Then my knee did pretty well for almost a year. And then it all went to heck back in late June. I had an acute episode and was in a wheelchair for 24 hours. That was not a pretty picture Ha!!!

Thanks again, Pook. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

All the best,

pup 

Respected Contributor

@Libbylady, WOW, your post is really encouraging. Back taking a class at three weeks out sounds amazing to me. I hope I can have half as good a recovery time. When this is all said and done, I'll probably be kicking myself for not having it done sooner. It all started back on New Years Day of 2015 when I was determined to get my fat butt back in shape. After a couple days of squats, lunges, knee lifts, etc. my knee told me those days were over! Ha! If the surgery will just let me start back on a walking regimen and some low impact workouts, I'll be happy. I've got to get back MOVIN.

Thanks for the encouragement. And I do have a nice walker on hand...it belonged to my MIL. I will use it if need be.

Best to you,

pup