Highlighted
Super Contributor

Ankle Cramp! OMG what causes this and how do you stop it ?

Well, I woke up to this horrid ankle cramp , felt like my ankle was being sprained!

It is so painful when this happens.... About three times a year ( maybe ) more, I get this...

Jump out of bed from a deep sleep and start hopping around , If I even can cause ,its soooo painful ...

What causes this and how do you stop it ?

Anyone else ever get these ankle cramps? I haven't had them in a while.. I have started working out again...

If anyone has any advice , it is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Debbie

N/A

Re: Ankle Cramp! OMG what causes this and how do you stop it ?

My ankle pain that I call cramping is more like my ankle is bending inward on it's own & that's both ankles one at a time thank God , and I jump out of bed to make it stop. I force my self to stand on it. . The pain is awful , any one know what can be causing it? I drink about 64 oz.'s of water a day. Please help. It's so hard to sleep. Hope to hear from someone.

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2011 expatgal said:

I used to have something similar back when I was doing crazy dieting. It felt like my foot was being turned "inward" at the ankle - like I couldn't put my foot flat on the floor. The pain was unbearable. My potassium was low due to stupid diet habits. Try something called "Calm" at the Whole Foods Store. It works wonders! Plus eat bananas and stay hydrated properly. Believe me, I know what kind of pain you're referring to. I used to immediately start crying when it happened - the pain was horrid. Good luck.

The Calm is a calcium and magnesium supplement, which is what you need, but be careful, it could cause loose stools.

I take Citrical Plus D and Magnesium every night. That way,I get my calcium and D plus the magnesium to help with leg cramps.

Legatrin is just Tylenol and Benadryl.

"Sometimes, good things fall apart, so better things can fall together" Marilyn Monroe
Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Laurie1950 said:

My ankle pain that I call cramping is more like my ankle is bending inward on it's own & that's both ankles one at a time thank God , and I jump out of bed to make it stop. I force my self to stand on it. . The pain is awful , any one know what can be causing it? I drink about 64 oz.'s of water a day. Please help. It's so hard to sleep. Hope to hear from someone.

See my post #16

"Sometimes, good things fall apart, so better things can fall together" Marilyn Monroe
Super Contributor

Have you seen a podiatrist? I was having similar pain and it turned out it was actually Achilles Tendonitis. If it's just one ankle, it seems it would be more likely to be something like that rather than a nutritional deficiency.

Occasional Contributor

Debbie~

I don't know how to prevent cramps. Some say potassium, others say B vitamins. But, having had cramps in my calves and ankles for several years, I can tell you that I get almost immediate relief using heat - moist heat, preferably. I keep a moist heating pad in my bedroom and wrap my my leg or ankle with it as soon as the cramp starts. The heat works like a charm. I have even turned on my blow dryer and hit the cramped area with warm air when I didn't have the blow dryer handy. Not as quick relieving the pain as the heating pad, but still better than nothing.

There is also a hint I heard on an all-night radio talk show years ago. I know this sounds wierd, but you slip a bar of bath soap under your contour sheet and it's supposed to prevent leg cramps at night. I have done it and it does seem to help. God only knows why LOL! Wink

Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 betteb said:
On 2/17/2011 expatgal said:

I used to have something similar back when I was doing crazy dieting. It felt like my foot was being turned "inward" at the ankle - like I couldn't put my foot flat on the floor. The pain was unbearable. My potassium was low due to stupid diet habits. Try something called "Calm" at the Whole Foods Store. It works wonders! Plus eat bananas and stay hydrated properly. Believe me, I know what kind of pain you're referring to. I used to immediately start crying when it happened - the pain was horrid. Good luck.

The Calm is a calcium and magnesium supplement, which is what you need, but be careful, it could cause loose stools.

I take Citrical Plus D and Magnesium every night. That way,I get my calcium and D plus the magnesium to help with leg cramps.

Legatrin is just Tylenol and Benadryl.

I was going to say it can also be a magnesium deficiency so you have covered that. You can also take an Epsom salt bath. If you take a proton pump inhibitor for stomach issues, chances are it's magnesium.
Super Contributor

Lol I just noticed how old this thread was
Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Reba055 said: Lol I just noticed how old this thread was

Good grief! How did that happen. Well, I hope the ankle's better by now.

Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 adelle38 said:
On 11/20/2014 Reba055 said: Lol I just noticed how old this thread was

Good grief! How did that happen. Well, I hope the ankle's better by now.

Haha. And apparently there's still plenty of leg and ankle cramps going around.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2015 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View