Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher

I retired in 1991 at age 52. I have always led a life with many different interests, along with many hobbies i still love at age "double sevens".

Been some pretty rough times over the last 12+ years, but i never have had a problem with "what will I do now"? For health reasons I have set goals to recovery, but setting goals has always been a part of my life, via sports and auto racing competitions, so it was/is nothing new to or for me.

For me, life without goals would be an empty life, and regardless of my physical condition, will always be until i take my last breath. Life is what one chooses to make it, especially in their later years.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

"try weighing the good things in your life versus the bad, maybe that would be better throwing in the towel of life."

hckynut(john)

No maybe's about it -- For Sure!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher

You and "Born 1956" just might make your thoughts a reality. I personally have never had any close/long term associations with overly Pessimistic individuals. My belief has been, and always will be, to view every stage of my life, the easy and the difficult, as an optimist.

Physically or Mentally unhealthy, I never took a pessimistic outlook at my life or "what might not be's". I preferred and prefer to look at what " I believe it will be", and move on from there. 

You 2 can make the rest of your lives what you want it to be, the choices are up to you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't over think it.  I'm no different at 56 than I was a 36 or 26.  I make the best choices with the information I have NOW and just keep moving foward.  If I make good choices today, I'll be fine in 30 years. 

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5

I do not see you, from what I have read in your posts, as a person that is "poor me". You come across to me as a person that can and will change things in their lives, and help others when you can.

At 61 I tested out physically better than 70% of those in their 40's. At age 62 I first had lung blood clots, and then a heart attack which included aspiration pneumonia. Sure, it set me back, but through optimism and hard work, I was able to gain back close to 90+% of my physical fitness(via treadmill Vo2 max testing).

Optimism always leads to more happiness and personal satisfaction, and I view you as one that will achieve both.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This is not directed at anyone who has posted a comment here, but is being asked based on some of the comments made ......    

Doesn't anyone PLAN their retirements?    I see a lot of focus on tv commercials about saving money ... but what about what you'll fill your time with when you no longer work?    

Or is it the "norm" to just stop working ...  and do nothing?

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut

Thank you so much for the kind words, I do appreciate it.

It looks to me as though YOU are the one that changed your life from outstanding, to a big bump in the road, to awesome.  I did have a similar journey, in that I was very sick about 18 years ago.

Setbacks are just a part of life; we will lose, if we let them beat us.  You know, no matter how many times we get knocked down, we need to try to get back up.   I've always been a happy, light hearted person.  It was reinforced, after my struggle.  I knew I had been a strong individual to get through it.  So, too, are you!! That's the only way to win.

You have shown yourself, me and others that it's all about optimism.  We need to live that way because we certainly don't want the alternative.

Again, I thank you, you're so kind. You've made my day!!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Aging and Looking Ahead

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Starpolisher

I retired in 1991 at age 52. I have always led a life with many different interests, along with many hobbies i still love at age "double sevens".

Been some pretty rough times over the last 12+ years, but i never have had a problem with "what will I do now"? For health reasons I have set goals to recovery, but setting goals has always been a part of my life, via sports and auto racing competitions, so it was/is nothing new to or for me.

For me, life without goals would be an empty life, and regardless of my physical condition, will always be until i take my last breath. Life is what one chooses to make it, especially in their later years.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  John,  You always make me feel better with your wisdom!  THANKS once again.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

This is not directed at anyone who has posted a comment here, but is being asked based on some of the comments made ......    

Doesn't anyone PLAN their retirements?    I see a lot of focus on tv commercials about saving money ... but what about what you'll fill your time with when you no longer work?    

Hi @Tinkrbl44,

I did not plan on retiring when i did. My employer AT&T had a buyout, and after 33 yrars, I had enough of factory work. I did some math and if i kept working as opposed to retiring at that time, for 10 years I would be making less than $3 per hour. Could find many jobs i liked where i could make way more than that amount.

I have not worked for anyone but myself since I retired. Since I had started my Adult Hockey League in 1963 as my hobby, in 1991, I decided to turn it into my retirement supplementation. Instead of doing it at my costs, I set my price to play comparable to other hockey leagues in my city.

Then I decided to receive my SS at 62, which again with simple math, I figured by waiting to 65, the difference in $$ would take 12 years. Thus I was 74 years old before that expired. Who knows at 62 if they will live to 65 ? All my health issues started before I turned 63, many which kill thousands every single day.

I fortunately cashed in all my AT&T stock, later which became Lucent, and that stock had the bottom fall out. Some of my co-workers lost 6 figures when that happened, and many never recovered. I had the stock that was earned over the years given to me by my employer. I am one that has always believed that "1 bird in my hand is worth more any number in the busch".

I did not really plan, but took advantage of circumstances that I had earned and all worked out for me by me doing some simple math, and dumping my stock and not waiting hoping to make more.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44. I do not think there is a "norm" or expected way to retire.....some people need to stay busy....others enjoy feeling like they are free to do nothing or do something if they please. Each person just decides what is right for them....not doing what other people EXPECT  them to be doing. I for one just enjoy not being anywhere or doing anything by the clock.