Honored Contributor

Re: Aging and Looking Ahead

[ Edited ]

Have never paid any attention to my age, other than moving up to older age classes in my running Road Races and speed skating at our State Winter Olympics.

After my 1st bout with lung blood clots(PE) I started to look at each day at a time. After each of my many subsequent health events, I have done the same. Never looked at how many years i have left, just each day as it came and went. Any healthy day for my wife and myself is a good day.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Beaches 1956 wrote:

I am 59 and just became an empty nester. I still work fulltime but can see that I am not what I ued to be. I have no reason to do anything but work. My parents are gone and life is now over for me.

____

This could just be an adjustment to your new living situation.  Sometimes you need time to process a life-altering situation and move on from it.  You could well find that not too long from now you're feeling much better.  You could have grandchildren, new friends, and new activities.  Try to look at this as a temporary period of transition.

Honored Contributor

@Beaches 1956 wrote:

I am 59 and just became an empty nester. I still work fulltime but can see that I am not what I ued to be. I have no reason to do anything but work. My parents are gone and life is now over for me.

@Beaches 1956

In my experience, "empty nests" fill back up pretty quickly.  They come home, they leave, then they have babies . . . please don't say your life is over, you have so much yet to experience.  Hopefully the joy of being a grandma someday. 

My beloved mom died at 49, my dad passed at 82, but we saw very little of him for 25 years when he moved to FL with his new wife.  My beloved sister died almost five years ago from cancer.

But I still have my three girls, my six grandchildren, and just loving them makes my life worthwhile at 78. 

You sound depressed.  My heart goes out to you.  I hope you have heard my words. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Starpolisher   we could be twins. I retired three years ago from my job of 25 years.. I really have been going on rather aimlessly  the past years... no goals,  no contact with  friends...  That does not bother me.  And not having to feel busy does not bother me either.. I rather enjoy just living live aimlessly!  All those years of going by the clock... never feeling I could just do nothing are over and I can do NOTHING if I please. I love my walks almost daily, love my time to myself and love eating and sleeping when and how I chose. 

Perhaps I am at a point after three years that I am needing some more direction... Join a club perhaps? Get out with people more?..... I SUPPOSE I should feel that way... but at this time I do not.  I worked with the public all my life and really just do not like being around people and living up to their expections.  I dealt with people my whole life and it was just so draining on my energy.  Maybe this is something I can work on and find a happy medium that is healthy for me yet not consuming....  I am just not a people person and do not need people in my life everyday.

Much like me. I'm an introvert, and years of dealing with the public, professional and otherwise, and the demands that places on you, wore me down for the last 18 years of my working life. If I never hear another phone ring, I'd be thrilled.

I LOVE not living to a timetable! It makes me happy every day just to realize I have no more timetable, except for doctor and other appointments. I don't wear a watch any longer - if I need to know the time I can check my phone.

I can go out and do something purely for my own enjoyment every day if I choose - but often I choose to just relax and "do nothing" with my iPad and the TV.

I don't have "health" issues in the way most people think of them, but musculoskeletal issues of varying types mean I don't frolic hither and yon for long periods of time, and need to sit periodically. This does actually have an effect on social life. It's a PIT* to do things (fair, shopping, swap meet, etc) with someone who has to sit down every half hour :-( I don't feel it's fair to others to ask them to be saddled with me.

Part of me wants to volunteer somewhere - animal shelter, food bank, etc - but I'm kinda limited to desk jobs - which would be just like working again. Sigh.

I really feel done with both regimentation and "forced" interaction with others. So far (just retired in January) I'm happy with that. Call me lazy, but I've earned it. I worked for 48 years.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good Sunday Morning!

For some reason this morning,,,, I was thinking...

"I am almost 61, and maybe have another 20-25 years ( if fortunate enough!) of life left."  

It left me thinking... and looking more deeply at my life and how I spend my days.  Do you ever do that? I think after 60, it is more typical to see the down side of the hill you climb all your life... you turn the corner and see a bit more clearly around the bend.

Anyway, this " share" below I found interesting as it ties in to  my feelings I had  this morning on aging and seeing what is  ahead.  The plus on aging is that we do have the ability to make good choices or even stop bad habits and slow the clock down. The earlier you start the better... so those here in there 40's and 50's can start now and really make a difference in their lives after 60... that is exciting!

To  live a healthy life  the  next 20 something years... that is my goal. What is yours? 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/25-habits-of-people-who-age-gracefully/ss-BBukHHq?li=BBnb7K...

I was sideswept 6 weeks ago by a heart attack which has left me with heart failure. The risk factors just weren't there and no one was more surprised than I am...

I am able to get around, though and push myself to walk every day. I will not give in to this. There are meds, dietary goals and mentally I am psyched to beat this.

I only mention this because with all the good intentions and planning, still none of us have any idea what can happen. I treasure each and every day I have left.....

I have to agree......i have three chronic conditions that have nothing to do with habits or risk factors.  I have always taken pretty good care of myself.....you never know what is around the corner.....sometimes you just have to concentrate on the present...as the future is sometimes uncertain healthwise.

Contributor

May I offer a suggestion?

learn to play bridge.  Not only will you exercise your mind  but you will also meet a lot of new friends.  There are bridge clubs all over the country.

Our club has 8 players over 90. In fact one of my favorite partners is 95.  And she's sharp as heck and wins a lot!!

Honored Contributor

@Beaches 1956 wrote:

@Beaches 1956

"And life is now over"?  Sure, family are a very big part of ones life, but anyone that thinks they are their whole life? I assume by "empty nester" that your children are still alive. Ever heard they saying that "the only one that can make you happy is yourself"?

I have always believed in, and lived most of my whole life as an optimist, regardless of the many hills i have had to climb. Many times the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" was barely lit. I however chose/choose to work hour by hour/day by day etc. to make it shine brighter.

Is or has it been an "easy walk in the park"? No it has not, but at no point did I or have I viewed it as my life being over, and my age has never been even a slight consideration. Might try weighing the good things in your life versus the bad, maybe that would be better throwing in the towel of life.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Not sure I want to live into old age where I'm dependant and have no energy.   I just want to live long enough to "enjoy" my days.   I pray I die in my sleep one day.

I have a neighbor who is 82.   She has to use a walker, her kids put her in a very old assisted living facility that is expensive with no amenities. She had hip surgery, but the dr's never gave her PT, so she is just as immobile as she was before the surgery.  She just sits day after day after day with no friends or hobbies.  I'd rather be dead than live like that.

At least my dear parents, into their late 80's, had full lives and were active up until their passing.  

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good Sunday Morning!

For some reason this morning,,,, I was thinking...

"I am almost 61, and maybe have another 20-25 years ( if fortunate enough!) of life left."  

It left me thinking... and looking more deeply at my life and how I spend my days.  Do you ever do that? I think after 60, it is more typical to see the down side of the hill you climb all your life... you turn the corner and see a bit more clearly around the bend.

Anyway, this " share" below I found interesting as it ties in to  my feelings I had  this morning on aging and seeing what is  ahead.  The plus on aging is that we do have the ability to make good choices or even stop bad habits and slow the clock down. The earlier you start the better... so those here in there 40's and 50's can start now and really make a difference in their lives after 60... that is exciting!

To  live a healthy life  the  next 20 something years... that is my goal. What is yours? 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/25-habits-of-people-who-age-gracefully/ss-BBukHHq?li=BBnb7K...

I just read the entire article. Thank you

Honored Contributor

"Live Like You Were Dying"  Tim McGraw

This song says how I feel. Check it out sometime.