Honored Contributor

Good Sunday Morning!

For some reason this morning,,,, I was thinking...

"I am almost 61, and maybe have another 20-25 years ( if fortunate enough!) of life left."  

It left me thinking... and looking more deeply at my life and how I spend my days.  Do you ever do that? I think after 60, it is more typical to see the down side of the hill you climb all your life... you turn the corner and see a bit more clearly around the bend.

Anyway, this " share" below I found interesting as it ties in to  my feelings I had  this morning on aging and seeing what is  ahead.  The plus on aging is that we do have the ability to make good choices or even stop bad habits and slow the clock down. The earlier you start the better... so those here in there 40's and 50's can start now and really make a difference in their lives after 60... that is exciting!

To  live a healthy life  the  next 20 something years... that is my goal. What is yours? 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/25-habits-of-people-who-age-gracefully/ss-BBukHHq?li=BBnb7K...

Honored Contributor

My goal is to appreciate every day I have left, try to be better to other people, to not let people take advantage of me, to learn something new every day, to be a productive and worthwhile person as long as I can, to not turn into an old fool, and to give thanks to God every day for the blessings I have had in my life.

To get rid of outdated junk I don't need and others don't want, to share what is good with people who might need it, and

I hope that every day I have I can be useful in some way, and be a blessing to someone.

Respected Contributor

Re: Aging and Looking Ahead

[ Edited ]

What a coincidence! I was just coming here to post something similar only mine is more on a negative note. I'm 62 and only have a good  20 to 25 years left, if I'm lucky. I've also been thinking about how I spend my days. I retired last June and since then, I'm having a hard time staying motivated to do ANYTHING. I spend too many days doing absolutely nothing productive and telling myself I'll do it tomorrow. I just can't seem to get into a routine and stick to it. I do babysit for my granddaughter twice a week and love it!  It's the only time I feel motivated to do anything. I keep thinking about how when my ds's were home I got so much done and felt so much more fulfilled. Now I just feel sort of aimless, cleaning and cooking but with no real goals left to pursue. How do others who have retired and are in your 60's handle this? What inspires you? What goals or future dreams keep you motivated and looking ahead? I need some focus.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My doctor tells me I'm healthy and "young for my age."   I just turned 74.  My family tends to live long lives ... most into their 90s.  

Even so ... my motto is "live each day as though it were your last."    I don't want to spend my time worrying/thinking about trivial things.  Just yesterday, I read these lines from Thomas Merton:

"...to turn aside from controversy and put away heavy loads of judgment and censorship and criticism and the whole burden of opinions that I have no obligation to carry."

I have several projects and interests that I've been working on for years ... and will continue to do so.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

What a coincidence! I was just coming here to post something similar only mine is more on a negative note. I'm 62 and only have a good  20 to 25 years left, if I'm lucky. I've also been thinking about how I spend my days. I retired last June and since then, I'm having a hard time staying motivated to do ANYTHING. I spend too many days doing absolutely nothing productive and telling myself I'll do it tomorrow. I just can't seem to get into a routine and stick to it. I do babysit for my granddaughter twice a week and love it!  It's the only time I feel motivated to do anything. I keep thinking about how when my ds's were home I got so much done and felt so much more fulfilled. Now I just feel sort of aimless, cleaning and cooking but with no real goals left to pursue. How do others who have retired and are in your 60's handle this? What inspires you? What goals or future dreams keep you motivated and looking ahead? I need some focus.

@Starpolisher     @SeaMaiden

Medical advances happen all the time and there are thousands and thousands of Americans 100 years old or older.

Someone in their early 60's who is estimating their life span, keep in mind .... you could be very very wrong.  A person in their early 60's might very well have another FORTY years of life ahead of them.

If that is a distinct possibility .... what do you plan to do with the next FORTY years?   Isn't it time to have a plan for the rest of your life?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good Sunday Morning!

For some reason this morning,,,, I was thinking...

"I am almost 61, and maybe have another 20-25 years ( if fortunate enough!) of life left."  

It left me thinking... and looking more deeply at my life and how I spend my days.  Do you ever do that? I think after 60, it is more typical to see the down side of the hill you climb all your life... you turn the corner and see a bit more clearly around the bend.

Anyway, this " share" below I found interesting as it ties in to  my feelings I had  this morning on aging and seeing what is  ahead.  The plus on aging is that we do have the ability to make good choices or even stop bad habits and slow the clock down. The earlier you start the better... so those here in there 40's and 50's can start now and really make a difference in their lives after 60... that is exciting!

To  live a healthy life  the  next 20 something years... that is my goal. What is yours? 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/25-habits-of-people-who-age-gracefully/ss-BBukHHq?li=BBnb7K...

I was sideswept 6 weeks ago by a heart attack which has left me with heart failure. The risk factors just weren't there and no one was more surprised than I am...

I am able to get around, though and push myself to walk every day. I will not give in to this. There are meds, dietary goals and mentally I am psyched to beat this.

I only mention this because with all the good intentions and planning, still none of us have any idea what can happen. I treasure each and every day I have left.....

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11  Keep on truckin'!  You are on the path to getting better and better. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Trinity11  Keep on truckin'!  You are on the path to getting better and better. 

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

I get a little depressed about aging cause i know many people much older and they are not necessarily enjoying things the way we might hope for.  

Anyway, I give myself credit if I exercise, clean, sometimes just for getting out and running errands.  

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher   we could be twins. I retired three years ago from my job of 25 years.. I really have been going on rather aimlessly  the past years... no goals,  no contact with  friends...  That does not bother me.  And not having to feel busy does not bother me either.. I rather enjoy just living live aimlessly!  All those years of going by the clock... never feeling I could just do nothing are over and I can do NOTHING if I please. I love my walks almost daily, love my time to myself and love eating and sleeping when and how I chose. 

Perhaps I am at a point after three years that I am needing some more direction... Join a club perhaps? Get out with people more?..... I SUPPOSE I should feel that way... but at this time I do not.  I worked with the public all my life and really just do not like being around people and living up to their expections.  I dealt with people my whole life and it was just so draining on my energy.  Maybe this is something I can work on and find a happy medium that is healthy for me yet not consuming....  I am just not a people person and do not need people in my life everyday.