Respected Contributor

AL Cholestacare Questions...

For anyone who takes Cholestacare, I need your advice.  Do I have to take it with meals only?  I only eat one meal daily and I've been taking 2 tablets with that meal, but am concerned that this is not enough to get the benefits.  Also, I have developed a burnt tongue sensation since I started taking it.  My tongue has a white color to it and sometimes my entire mouth and teeth hurt.  I don't know if the Cholestacare is causing it or something else.  Has anyone had a negative reaction to Cholestacare?  I don't want to continue taking it if it is causing my discomfort.  I would appreciate your input.  Prior to taking Cholestacare, I was taking several AL supplements with no negative effects.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: AL Cholestacare Questions...

@Trudey

I do not take this particular supplement, but there should be a 1-800 number listed on the label. I would give his customer service representatives a call, they are probably in a better position to tell you how to take the supplement.

Esteemed Contributor

I posted in wellness that after taking for a few months, I had a. Cholestral test and it went up, so I stopped taking.  Some have said it helped them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trudey, I scoured the Internet in search of some information that could help you, but couldn't find anything. You can't even find out exactly what ingredients are in it since it is a "proprietary" formula. Bunk! We should be able to find out what we're putting in our bodies by reading a label. As suggested, I would call them to discuss.

Also, I would stop for two weeks and see if your symptoms abate. If they do, start up again and see if they return. If they do, there's your answer. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I dont take AL, I use Cholest Wise from Puritans Pride, it is a much more comprehensive formula besides the plant sterols. I combine it with Puritnas Pride Double Strength Phytosterol Complex.  I take enough to give me 3 grams plant sterols per day or 3000 mg daily, and yes, it must be taken shortly before each meal, or less than an hour after eating for it to be effective.

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack @qvcaddition Thank you for responding.  I also looked everywhere to determine if my symptoms were related to Cholestacare or plant sterols in general and could find nothing.  It is odd that the ingredients aren't listed nor are they available to review.  

I'm trying to get my cholesterol down before my next doctor's appointment in August because she is going to prescribe statins otherwise.  My cholesterol issues are genetic and even though I've lost 60 pounds and am exercising almost everyday, my levels have increased significantly.

Respected Contributor

@shellbelle  Have you ever had any negative side effects from the plant sterols?  I tried Red Rice Yeast and had to stop taking it because it was causing anxiety and severe hot flashes.  That's when I switched to Cholestacare. 

Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

@shellbelle  Have you ever had any negative side effects from the plant sterols?  I tried Red Rice Yeast and had to stop taking it because it was causing anxiety and severe hot flashes.  That's when I switched to Cholestacare. 

No, been using plant sterols since 2004, no side effects, nothing like Red Yeast Rice, that is a modified form of a statin drug, plant sterols are not.

Esteemed Contributor

I've taken 2 with meals- and 1 with any snacks. With that said though- you still need to eat healthy and exercise! My cholesterol had been over 250, it's 165 now (ldl is in the 80's!). I've lost a bunch of weight the last year as well.

Honored Contributor

I just purchased this recently and have been taking it for about two weeks. I understood that you take it after a meal, so that is what I do.

I have had no adverse effects, but am looking forward to the first blood test after starting this product. The test will be done sometime next month.

I also take his chocolate product that has CholstaCare in it and usually have his oatbran or oatmeal each morning, which also has CholstaCare in it.

My test results should be really good with all the things I have each day with CholestaCare in it! ha!