Honored Contributor

Re: 30 Worst Foods For Your Heart

There is so much sodium in foods today.

I don't buy anything in a can or a box.

I am very sensitie to sodium, so I try to limit processed and frozen prepared foods.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Other than a couple, the list is pretty much spot on. 

Canned vegetabels

Restaurant soup

Cold cuts

Tomato sauce

Frozen meals

Vegetable juice

Capers

Ketchup

Cottage cheese

Frozen pies

Ice cream

Fried chicken

Margarine

Biscuits

White rice

Blended coffee

Chinese takeout

Cinnamon rolls

Bacon

Sausage

Bouillon cubes

Potato chips

Diet soda

Cheese

Pizza

French fries

Steak

Fruit juice

Concerning this list, I am surprised there aren't more like 300 than 30 the way we cook and eat in America!

However, I tend to disagree with coffee and tomato sauce according to my current knowledge. (Yes, too much caffeine is bad, but  a cup or two daily is promoted by most  cardiologists. But perhaps the word "blended" makes a difference ??) But anyone can have an argument about anything you swallow.

Now I am curious about cold cuts. Could it be what you dip them in or drink them with ?

Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

@redhead65   cold cuts are full of sodium and chemicals of all kinds.  So processed!  Not good for you at all. Best to just cook the meat from raw state  bake or steam and  then eat. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@redhead65   cold cuts are full of sodium and chemicals of all kinds.  So processed!  Not good for you at all. Best to just cook the meat from raw state  bake or steam and  then eat. 

Thanks for this info!  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

White rice?  

Naaaaa.

Yes, brown is better, but white rice is not considered 'bad for your heart' food.  What most people put ON the white rice is probably bad for your heart, but alone, nope.

I can go for days eating nothing but white, Jasmine rice, fruit, beans & veg...anywhere from 2-6 cups of cooked white rice per day.   Trim, fit, healthy.  Love my carbs! #Starchivore

OMG - classic.

Honored Contributor

sidsmom wrote:

White rice?  

Naaaaa.

Yes, brown is better, but white rice is not considered 'bad for your heart' food.  What most people put ON the white rice is probably bad for your heart, but alone, nope.

I can go for days eating nothing but white, Jasmine rice, fruit, beans & veg...anywhere from 2-6 cups of cooked white rice per day.   Trim, fit, healthy.  Love my carbs! #Starchivore

I haven't read the list, but I would totally agree about the rice.  Maybe white rice isn't THE best choice (I am also a brown rice girl), but I cannot imagine a reason either would be bad for the heart.

I think that the problem I often see with things like this is that some folks can only think in terms of absolutes.  There is no middle ground about anything.   So they write these opinion pieces based on their inability to have a well-rounded view.  

I know people like this and they tend to create their own 'realities' based on either what somebody (usually, somebody unrealiable) told them or how they wish something would actually be (so they believe the first thing they hear that fits their agenda).   My husband is kind of like that and it can be frustrating.   But that's another Jerry Springer show.  Smiley Wink

Anyway, and nothing against the OP of course, I would take things like this with a grain of salt.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

How much ketchup are people eating that it would be on the list?  I don't think I have ketchup even once a month in the winter.  Maybe a tiny bit on a burger I cook on the grill in the summer. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I hope that no one takes this list seriously.....it's not correct. It was probably put together by an 18 year old Intern! Many inaccuracies!

LOL  I agree.  I would never eat like that. 

Honored Contributor

Oh boy!  I had a corn dog yesterday.  Glad to see THAT'S not on the list!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Rachb wrote:
Cottage cheese? I'm surprised at that one.

@Rachb

It is the sodium laden cottage cheeses that are  99% of the ones on the market.  I buy my low sodium  cottage cheese from Safeway( Lucerne brand) which is an unsalted cottage cheese. I just add herbs and sometimes a bit of salt substitute to make it more palatable.

People do not realize how much salt we are use to to make foods taste good to us. Another example is V-8 juice or tomato juice. It is full of salt and if you buy it salt free or low sodium it does not taste very palatable at all unless you spice it up.  

Most of the foods on the worst list are  full of sodium.  If people only knew this and cut back on these foods it would make a huge difference in our health for the better. The American taste bud LOVES SALT. 

Low salt V8 to me tastes WAY better than the regular stuff.