Respected Contributor

i had a 3 D mammogram. are these supposed to be more accurate than the standard one? i got a call back and need to have further views

when i had the mamaogram last week, the  tech said something about getting the views correct and not having to repeat due to radiation exposure .

i have had call backs before but that was the standard mammo.  this time its in my right breast.

very anxious now because this was 3 D

Super Contributor

Try not to worry. It sounds  like the radiologist wants to take a closer look. it's a good thing that you have a radiologist who is thorough. I had additional views requested of 3 D mammograms just last week, so it's not a perfect test.

Valued Contributor

Re: 3 D Mammograms

[ Edited ]

I have very dense breasts . For 4 years when I got the regular mammogram, they said everything was normal, but then my Doctor would insist I needed to go back to do 3d sonogram since I  have dense(36B) breasts. I change Doctors and it happen again. Last year I informed my doctor just ordered the 3d sonogram, because I would not be making two trips. This process is longer, while there my left breast  was 3 d twice. The Doctor wanted to insure everyhing was find, which Thank God it was. 

Honored Contributor

At the hospital I go to, 3D is what everyone gets.I had breast cancer 4 years ago; 3D is standard operating procedure for me and has been since after my radiation treatment in 2013. I have  very dense breasts  and was always having to come back for a do over.  Was getting mammos every 6 months for a couple years and have graduated to the NORMAL once a year mammo as I still have one very dense breast. Try not to be too worried. I would take being extra careful over what I went thru anytime!

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i had a 3 D mammogram. are these supposed to be more accurate than the standard one? i got a call back and need to have further views

when i had the mamaogram last week, the  tech said something about getting the views correct and not having to repeat due to radiation exposure .

i have had call backs before but that was the standard mammo.  this time its in my right breast.

very anxious now because this was 3 D

Try not to worry.  I just had mine (3D) done last week.  The tech checked the views before I even stepped away from the machine.  She had to redo one.  It can happen if your breast wasn't positioned right in the first place, or if the nipple rolled and she didn't notice it.  And if it is something more than that, be glad that it was a 3D and perhaps caught whatever it is all that much sooner.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

OP here.  i went today for the 2 extra views, another 3D study.  after i was seated in the waiting area , but i was dressed.  the tech came and also the radiologist came and they took me in a room.  the radiologist  talked to me at length with the mammo tech present. 

half of what he was telling me is a blur!!! i was trying hard to understand what he was saying. he said there was a few spots of calcification and they are closer to the chest wall than normal.

they scheduled me for a needle biopsy.  i said wanted to think about it but somehow,  the next thing i knew they had me go Breast Health where i filled out more paperwork.  did i smoke, use BC, use HRT, family Hx....omg.  a 45 minute appt had morphed into 2 hours.   i was shown the image and there are clearly white spots that look different from othertissue.    i have the biopsy on Thursday.

trying to not pre-worry!!!

Respected Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

OP here.  i went today for the 2 extra views, another 3D study.  after i was seated in the waiting area , but i was dressed.  the tech came and also the radiologist came and they took me in a room.  the radiologist  talked to me at length with the mammo tech present. 

half of what he was telling me is a blur!!! i was trying hard to understand what he was saying. he said there was a few spots of calcification and they are closer to the chest wall than normal.

they scheduled me for a needle biopsy.  i said wanted to think about it but somehow,  the next thing i knew they had me go Breast Health where i filled out more paperwork.  did i smoke, use BC, use HRT, family Hx....omg.  a 45 minute appt had morphed into 2 hours.   i was shown the image and there are clearly white spots that look different from othertissue.    i have the biopsy on Thursday.

@CatsyCline I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted. 

Respected Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

Best of luck!  It's great that you're on to the biopsy because the quicker you get through the steps in checking this out, the better off you'll be.  There's no point in prolonging it and worrying.  I hope you get good news.

Respected Contributor

This is becoming more and more common, and I'm not sure whether to feel good about it or be angry at the overkill.  Most of these, even after biopsy, turn out to be nothing.  I think there are some in the medical field that are afraid to not go further with testing.  That "better safe than sorry" attitude.  They have to know that all us gals are heart stopping worried at any hint of a problem with our mammo.  If it weren't so common, it would be a lot more terrifying.  Best of luck, and I hope you are free from all this soon so you can get on with your life. 

Honored Contributor

I had a needle biopsy I think in 2009.  The procedure itself is not bad and recovery was nothing but a bandaid (mine was on the underside).  I had a great team.  The worst part is waiting for the procedure and then the results.

I will keep you in my prayers and urge you to stay off google.  No good comes from googling ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN