Honored Contributor

Re: 10 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Walk

@Winkk wrote:

I have some arthrites in both knees and it hurts to walk.  I find alternate exercise and watch my diet.

@Winkk  Before replacing both hips and both knees, I was sedentary.....I could hardly walk into the kitchen let alone go on a walk......I now walk because I have much less pain and discomfort. I want to use these new joints and give thanks for them. 

I understand and why you can not walk. Arthritis is just awful. 

Trusted Contributor

I've always enjoyed walking.   I like seeing the pretty flowers (especially tulips, which are my fave), breathing in cool, invigorating air, and seeing squirrels, birds, etc.   It's my favorite form of exercise.Smiley Very Happy

Contributor

I love walking and and do feel the benfits.

Honored Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

I have walked one hour almost everyday for the past several years.  I have never lost a pound and feel  better when I don't walk. 

@BLH  LOL!

Respected Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

I have walked one hour almost everyday for the past several years.  I have never lost a pound and feel  better when I don't walk. 

Hi Chatty - I saw your post and just wondered what feels better to you when you don't walk.  I struggle with foot and knee pain when I do walk or do not walk.  I keep going because of the cardio benefits and the calorie burn.  Do you go at a brisk pace?  Thanks ahead of time.  HDW2

Honored Contributor

I need to get back to walking.  I used walking as my form of exercise to lose weight a number of years ago.

Then I used to walk my dog several miles a day.  I didn't always want to but he was my motivation.  He was ready and waiting when I came home from work and I couldn't say no to that face.

When he died, I quit walking and boy do I notice a difference in how I feel.   

Honored Contributor

@BLH Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one. LOL If I starve myself along with walking I'll may drop some weight, but nothing significant.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy going for walks but I suffer more pain in my back and knee's afterwards, so I don't do it much. I have yet to find an exercise that doesn't cause me more pain..

Honored Contributor

I only wish I could still walk as much as I used to.  Now, any significant walking is too much pressure and causes more joint damage.

They say walking is impact free, but that's not always true for those with certain conditions and/or diseases.   So far biking has been impact free so I ride my exercise bike as much as possible.

I even tried a Pilates machine with the rebounder thinking it would be OK, but it was too much impact

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

I feel fine when I'm walking, but when I go to get into the car, I can hardly bend.  My hips and knees hurt so bad.  I tell my doctor that I feel better when i don't exercise and he said, "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that".  I told him everytime I get the urge to exercise I just lay down until it passes.