WEN

Frequent Contributor

Which WEN formulation just doesn't work with your hair type?

I am in the WEN learning stages and am enjoying my experiments with the WEN formulations. I have medium thick slightly wavy hair (not at all fine), 30% gray but I color it and I recently put in highlights which dried it out (no more bleach). WEN is saving my hair. My hair normally has a lot of bounce and body. I asked the question recently, "what's your favorite WEN formulation." I'm interested in learning which one just doesn't work with your hair. Tell me your hair type too. I had to sent back the TT, wanted to like it but wheat formulations do not agree with my hair which is probably why I didn't used to like WEN. I also sent back MIF because it made my hair too heavy and kind of sticky. Everyone loves those two formulations so I was kind of surprised when they didn't work for me. I used both formulations four or five times before deciding. I just knew after that last time that I would never reach for it so I sent it back. BGT, FTP, SLCV, POM, and the kids formulas work well with my hair maybe because they are so light. Sooooo WEN girls, continue to educate me please. Do you have a formulation that just doesn't work for you. Why and what is your hair type? (I know I could have kept them and mixed them but I don't usually use things I don't really like so I sent them back.) Thank goodness for QVCs return policy, makes it easier to try things.

Super Contributor

Re: Which WEN formulation just doesn't work with your hair type?

Good morning! Of the core scents, the only one I've found that doesn't work for me is the SAM. Yes, I know it's supposed to be Universal but it seems to dry my hair out. I cannot use any of the rice based formulas because of an intolerance to rice. I have medium length, naturally curly hair that is kinda thick. I have hypothyroidism so it has thinned some since I was diagnosed in 2001. My hair used to be so thick when I was younger that when I put it in a ponytail, I couldn't wrap the band around twice. It was pretty much stuff my hair in there Woman LOL Oh well, I do love my Pom, Fig, TT and seasonals!

Valued Contributor

Hi Melindaot!  I have found that the LAV, CA and BGT CC's just do not work for my hair. I have shoulder length curly hair.  The LAV makes it too puffy, the CA too frizzy and the BGT just doesn't give me defined curls.  I love all the seasonals, 613, TT, POM, SAM, FIG and MIF.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoochiePooDoo - I have thin hair but a lot of it with waves, curls and frizz. LAV makes it frizzies, BGT makes it dry and TT is great for my scalp but drying for my hair. FIG works great, MIF gives me bounce and curl, most of the seasonals work well for me.

Honored Contributor

I have thick curly hair and the only ones that I would not buy again were WVM, SHP, FTP and SOB.  I got all of these in the Dec TSV and they are all good but I would rather spend my money elsewhere on SMC and (help me) FAS.  

I have not tried most of the cores (just started with Lav and still have sam to try) but TT I only tried once.  It works if I have a dry scalp but I can not take the smell.  Little did I know there are worse ones out there but alas FAS works wonders for curls.  

I will say it's not that anything did not work for me but I got better results from  certain ones and I will purchase those particular ones again in the future.

Respected Contributor

I have AA relaxed hair. The actual hairs are fine, though most of my life I had a lot of it. Now with WEN it is getting thick again like when I was small. The formulas that don't do it for me are SAM, BGT, and LAV,  also possibly the kids formulas. SAM dried me out terribly. BGT was also drying though possibly not as bad as SAM. My face loves it though. LAV I am pretty sure I am allergic to. It felt like cold fire on my head. Like slathering ICY HOT and only getting the ICY part. WEN Kids Watermelon also was really drying. I had to mix it with POM to use it up. I did find that I could do the first cleanse with it alone and use half for leave in by the time I finished it. As my hair improved, it was more tolerant of WKW. Still, I wouldn't buy it again.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

I don't find there to be a lot of difference between formulations. Some seem to be better for winter, such as Tea Tree and MIF. I noticed if I use MIF more than one day in a row, it makes my hair a little limp. In the rotation, it is fine. I rarely use the same formula 2 days in a row.

I will not use Fig or Fas. Both make me feel nauseated due to the overwhelming scent. I stick to the seasonals for the most part.
Respected Contributor

@GoochiePooDoo My hair is much like yours, except more gray and all my "coloring" has grown out. I've tried all the formulas except Men, Cucumber Aloe, Coconut Lime Verbena, and Kids. I have to say that all of them have worked just fine, some better than others of course. Fig and Fall Apple Spice I won't use because I can't stand the way they smell (so bad to me, that I don't care how well they work).

I've found my hair actually does best with variety. I mix a core or rice formula with a seasonal and Tea Tree every time I cleanse. When I empty a bottle, it's replaced with a different formula. Tea Tree is the only constant.

Honored Contributor

Most of them don't work well for my hair. Some are adequate and some are really bad for me. I have dry, color-treated, curly/wavy hair that's prone to frizz.

Fig is the one that works the best. I also love Tea Tree, which I often mix with my Fig or do Tea Tree at the roots on the length.

Bamboo Green Tea and Cucumber Aloe were the worst for me. They left my hair dry and I hated the way CA smelled, too. I was able to use the Bamboo Green Tea up by mixing it with Fall Tuscan Pear and Fig, but wouldn't reorder.

Mandarin Italian Fig also leaves my hair dry unless I mix it with regular Fig. I won't reorder. 

Pom and Sweet Almond Mint leave my hair dry if I use them alone.

I'm allergic to Lavender, so I have never tried that one.

Winter Cranberry Mint and Winter White Citrus have been the best seasonals for me in terms of moisture. Winter Vanilla Mint and Fall Ginger Pumpkin are my favorite seasonal scents, but they leave my hair dry. Most of the other seasonals work well, but I don't like some of the scents. I don't care if Fall Apple Spice gave me perfect hair every day, I refuse to get that stuff near my head.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

SAM and 613 both seem to leave my hair extremely dry, I do like both scents.

POM, TT, CA or BGT are always 1st cleanse for me.

Seasonals or WEN Kids are my 2nd cleanse, I love the seasonal scents.

Never tried SGGT, SHL, SMC, SCLV, LAV, MIF

Have and rarely use WCM, FTP, WWC, FIG, SHP

My hair is below the shoulder length, natural wave. Medium brown color. My hair is not color treated.