WEN

Valued Contributor

WEN: how long do you keep past expiration date?

With any of your WEN products, how long (if at all) do you keep past the expiration date?

I know they say "2 years, if unopened" -- I'm just curious what you all recommend or do.

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: WEN: how long do you keep past expiration date?

Hello @Julie_23 !  I have heard Chaz mention several times that the products are good for at least two years after opening.  I believe @bebe777 had a cleansing conditioner open for around four years before it turned. HTH Smiley Happy

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I have been stocking Wen for years now and I have  used unopened wen that was over two years old and have never had a problem.  I have had opened seasonals from one year to the next and again have never had a problem.  The cores I open I use until empty.  I keep my oils in a drawer in my basement's vanity, dark and cool , again have never had a problem. Same thing goes for my remoist, sc, and replenishing mists.

Honored Contributor

I've never thrown any WEN products away and have never seen or smelled any evidence of deterioration.

I did stop ordering anything WEN well over a year ago, deciding I need to use up what is already in my house.  There's still enough to last for more than another year.  I don't even look at the dates unless I see or smell deterioration.  Right now I'm assuming some of my stash will definitely be older than 2 by the time I open everything.

I'd check those dates if I saw some change in the condition of my hair, but for now, I keep in mind that those expiration dates are more for sellers than for buyers.  

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everybody!  Your replies were helpful.  Much appreciation!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Julie_23 The date codes on the bottles are when the product was manufactured, not an expiration date. There are 2 codes on the bottom, I think one is a batch code (not real sure on that) but the date code is kinda backwards. For example if it says 140917 the manufacture date is Sept 17, 2014. They started dating them different last year & it's much easier to understand.

Respected Contributor

Hi.  I have Wen stuff years old that I still use and no problem.  I have new stuff, old stuff, middle of the road stuff Smiley Happy and they're all okay.  I found a 16oz. CC of 613 I never used so I opened it and it's almost gone and no problem.  I must have gotten it around 2012 or 2013.  Since we all seem to have a big collection, I guess it's hard to keep things around for less than a year.  I have stuff on auto delivery and I know others do too.  This just gave me a thought.  I have two CC Peonys' but they're not open yet.  I'm waiting for Chaz to bring out more products in that flavor.  I think I went through two of them already and loved it so these other two I'm saving. 

Respected Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

With any of your WEN products, how long (if at all) do you keep past the expiration date?

I know they say "2 years, if unopened" -- I'm just curious what you all recommend or do.

Thanks!

I  have a bottle i never use from when I tried wen in 2012 and it still smells and looks unchanged

Honored Contributor

I've never encountered any of my stash deteriorating, either. Like some others have mentioned, I've recently decided to start working through my stash before stocking up any more, mostly CCs & SCs. I manage to work through my RTMs quicker because I use them as my after-shower all over body spray, not just for my hair. A note for some of you who like fun-fragranced shower gels...use your seasonals as BCCs. In my opinion they work just as nicely as the "real" BCCs, especially the lighter weight ones like SOB, CLV, FTP.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.