WEN

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

Btw he's so right on other beach sprags....they have epsom salt in them and can be very drying. 

There are a few without but I generally don't use the beachy wave products because of the salt and they are drying so that is why I was excited for his. Most I've seen actually use sea salt, not epsom.  I think isomers beach product doesn't contain salt either but I didn't do too much research as I was waiting for WEN. However, WEN's contains some ingredients that can also be drying for hair and that I don't like to use near my scalp, like clove and cinnamon extracts.

ETA: nevermind, looked up Isomers and it says right in the name it contains sea salt, lol.

A lot of them have magnesium sulfate too, epsom salt.  I havein my experience seen very few that have sea salt but some.  But I'm thinking of mainstream salon product lines like paul mitchell  (which i know has epsom) vs other qvc brands, etc.  

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Kjelle wrote:

Texturizing spray -  So you use the texturizing spray on soaking wet hair and scrunch the waves into it. Then you air dry. It's got bamboo water, 4 tea complex, and  aminos @HappyDaze .

@Kjelle yeah that is how I generally used other beach sprays but not soaking wet, just damp/towel dried and yes, air dry but I generally air dry anyway so no big whoop there. Smiley Happy

I'm skipping it as I want to read the reviews and am leery about certain ingredients. Thanks for the play by play, lol!

Good restraint @HappyDaze! I ordered the BGT and will post a review. I use another beach product sometimes, and I love it, but it is drying. I'm hoping this will be different. If not, no big deal. I got panicky with them talking about the MIF because I considered both (individually and together), but forced myself to settle down. I'd rather want something that I don't have than have something I don't want!

Valued Contributor

Re: WEN May Chat

[ Edited ]

I just looked at the ingredients in both texturizing sprays, mif doesn't have clove and cinnamon.  There didn't look to be anything drying to me in it.  

Eta nvm magnesium sulfate is in there.

Trusted Contributor

@Thia Winter wrote:

I just looked at the ingredients in both texturizing sprays, mif doesn't have clove and cinnamon.  There didn't look to be anything drying to me in it.  

@Thia-Winter, if I may ask, does the BGT look ok in your professional opinion as well?

Thanks in advance!

Valued Contributor

@yisbuff2 wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

@Thia-Winter, if I may ask, does the BGT look ok in your professional opinion as well?

Thanks in advance!

@yisbuff2 it doesn't look too bad...There's magnesium sulfate, clove and cinnamon but I'm betting all the other good, wen exclusive ingredients will offset any drying properties from those few ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Thia Winter wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

Btw he's so right on other beach sprags....they have epsom salt in them and can be very drying. 

There are a few without but I generally don't use the beachy wave products because of the salt and they are drying so that is why I was excited for his. Most I've seen actually use sea salt, not epsom.  I think isomers beach product doesn't contain salt either but I didn't do too much research as I was waiting for WEN. However, WEN's contains some ingredients that can also be drying for hair and that I don't like to use near my scalp, like clove and cinnamon extracts.

ETA: nevermind, looked up Isomers and it says right in the name it contains sea salt, lol.

A lot of them have magnesium sulfate too, epsom salt.  I havein my experience seen very few that have sea salt but some.  But I'm thinking of mainstream salon product lines like paul mitchell  (which i know has epsom) vs other qvc brands, etc.  

I just looked at the ingredients of the WEN and it DOES have epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) so I am now confused about your post that epsom salt is drying?

Epsom salt IS magnesium sulfate.

All the ones I've ever tried over the years have sea salt in them, not epsom. Fekkai soleil beach spray, Macadamia professional texturizing salt spray, Philip B maui Wowie spray, Ouai wave spray (don't think this even contains sea salt), bumble and bumble surf infusion, Captain Blackenship mermaid mane spray, and the Isomers beach spray to name a few (although I've never tried that one).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Thia Winter wrote:

citrus peel extracts and citrus extracts in general are known to be drying to some hair due to their astringent properties.

Trusted Contributor

@Thia Winter wrote:

@yisbuff2 wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

Thanks in advance!

@yisbuff2 it doesn't look too bad...There's magnesium sulfate, clove and cinnamon but I'm betting all the other good, wen exclusive ingredients will offset any drying properties from those few ingredients. 

Thanks @Thia-Winter! I didn't even realize that could be a thing. :/ I think I will just be wary of using it too often at first. I may try it first with an air drying trick (like twisting into buns) to reduce dryness. Although, now I'm a little nervous ...

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

I just looked at the ingredients of the WEN and it DOES have epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) so I am now confused about your post that epsom salt is drying?

Epsome salt IS magnesium sulfate.

Yes, epsom salt is magnesium sulfate.  it can be drying on some hair types.  When I first posted I hadn't looked at the ingredients of the texturizing spray yet.  But I wouldn't discount it and assume this formula would definitely be drying as there are other more moisturizing ingredients too but as wi tt h everything your mileage may vary.  

Fwiw I rarely use my pom mousse because I find it drying in my hair.  Lol go figure.  

Salts have their place in beachy sprays, they're what gives that texture everyone loves about being at the beach.  In my hair epsom is less drying than sea salt but others may have different resultd.

Sorry about any confusion.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Thia Winter wrote:

citrus peel extracts and citrus extracts in general are known to be drying to some hair due to their astringent properties.

Very true, thanks for the reminder.