WEN

Super Contributor

Texturing spray or texturizing balm

I'm wondering if any of you have a preference for either the texturizing spray or the texturizing balm.  I just got my hair cut yesterday and have many layers and would like to highlight them but keep them under control.  Not looking for a spiky look, more of a smooth look with definition.  Wasn't sure which product would be best for my thick, coarse hair.  Any suggestions?  I don't like a greasy/wet look either.  Oh, and good morning!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Texturing spray or texturizing balm

@cac140 wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you have a preference for either the texturizing spray or the texturizing balm.  I just got my hair cut yesterday and have many layers and would like to highlight them but keep them under control.  Not looking for a spiky look, more of a smooth look with definition.  Wasn't sure which product would be best for my thick, coarse hair.  Any suggestions?  I don't like a greasy/wet look either.  Oh, and good morning!! Smiley Happy

I don't know if I would recommend either. A smooth look with definition is the opposite of textured. If you want some control, the balm would be better, but it's best used for piecey looks The texture spray is going to add waves because of the magnesium sulfate. Most sprays with magnesium sulfate are sold as curl refreshers or beachy waves sprays because they promote waves and curls.

If you want smooth hair with definition, you may be better off with a glossing serum or the finishing cream. If you want to see if the finishing cream might be right for you, I recommend trying a similar drugstore version, first. You can try the John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-up Creme for around $6. It's very similar to the WEN Finishing Treatment Creme. I recommend the cheap version first because the finishing cream didn't go over very well here and QVC no longer sells it, but you can get it on Chaz Dean's own site. It goes on dry hair and helps to smooth and tame hair while providing some moisture and lock out frizz. A little goes a long way and it takes some practice to use, which is why a lot of people didn't really like it.

If you look the finishing treatment up on his site, he has a video where he uses the finishing creme, glossing serum, and volumizing treatment mist all mixed together on a client and explains it adds "definition, separation, texture, hold, and shine." I think that's what you want more than the waves of the texturizing spray or the piecey looks that the texture balm gives. If you watch the video, that part starts at about 3min 50sec in.

Respected Contributor

@cac140 wrote:

@cac140 Of the two I would go for the texture balm. It adds shine, which deepens the highlights and happens to add depth and definition. It gives some hold and also keep on moisture. The texture spray did absolutely nothing for me on dry or wet hair. 

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Trusted Contributor

I haven't tried the Wen balm yet but have tried balm cream wax pomade products.

i actually really like the Texturizing Spray. I think it gives my hair more 'texture' and more body. I was waiting for this product when I heard it was maybe happening and it delivers.

Honored Contributor

I mix the glossing serum with the SC, but I wear a past the shoulder, straight bob.  Guess that's not much help is it?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@cac140 I agree with @ChynnaBlue on the finishing treatment cream Smiley Very Happy

I didn't know the Q stopped carrying it but it was the same price on Chaz's site, I think it was $32. I got it on ebay for about half that. I don't use it everyday but if my hair is a little too puffy that day use a pea size dab of FTC & a pump of GS & 2 sprays of RTM all in one hand & rub it all together & work it thru my hair.

Honored Contributor

@FleaMktQn wrote:

@cac140 I agree with @ChynnaBlue on the finishing treatment cream Smiley Very Happy

I didn't know the Q stopped carrying it but it was the same price on Chaz's site, I think it was $32. I got it on ebay for about half that. I don't use it everyday but if my hair is a little too puffy that day use a pea size dab of FTC & a pump of GS & 2 sprays of RTM all in one hand & rub it all together & work it thru my hair.

@FleaMktQn...finishing treatment cream is the BOMB! I use it every day to finish my style. Adds fabulous definition to my wavy/curly hair!! It's the same price on QVC and Chaz' site, so I get it from him to get the free shipping,

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.  I truly do appreciate it.  There is not one thing curly about my hair at all.  I wish there was!  So I will experiment a little here and there and see what happens.  I'm leaning towards trying the balm or finishing cream first, whichever I can get the best deal on.  Have a great day ladies!

Esteemed Contributor

@cac140 wrote:

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.  I truly do appreciate it.  There is not one thing curly about my hair at all.  I wish there was!  So I will experiment a little here and there and see what happens.  I'm leaning towards trying the balm or finishing cream first, whichever I can get the best deal on.  Have a great day ladies!

Hi @cac140@SurferWife@FleaMktQn@Drythe

@untitled, @ChynnaBlue@, @quadmimi,   hope I didn't miss anyone. 

I often view the forums on the run, reading without being able to post, so I'm a day late again.

I use the texture balm regularly. Haven't tried the spray due to the cumulative drying effects of the salts.

In your case @cac140  I'd suggest you apply just one swipe of balm to your fingertips and gently sort of pinch at the ends of your hair to add definition and texture.. A little goes a long way, and while I use 8 or more swipes accross the whole palm, it's a "you can always add more but you'll regret too much" learning curve.

It adds shine & moisture, dramatically cuts fluffy flyaways, defines layers and pieces, all depending how you use it. I like to apply to fingertips and hold my fingers to the heater for a few seconds before working it in to cut frizz and define individual curls. 

Also, it cuts down on the expense of SC, which I use on dry hair for essentially the same purpose. 

It washes out of my hair with the usual Wen cleanse, rinse, repeat. No extra cleaning steps, no residue left behind. 

If your hair is fine or thin or weighs down flat very easily I would only pinch the lightest touch of this on the very ends.

Since I  use it on dry hair just before going out, the fragrance goes with me. Pick something you like. I use Fig because it's the least intrusive fragrance choice and doesn't override my other fragrance. 

Wen Bonus: If you don't like it in your hair you can apply it to dry elbows, heels, great on summer bare legs, on hands before handwashing dishes, etc.

One balm stick can last a couple years, so try it again if you change hairstyles. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cac140, looking back at your OP, the texture balm won't 'spike' unless you blend it with hairspray before applying to hair.

If it ever gets greasy or wet looking you've used way too much.

Just sort of "pinch & pull" the bottom of the layers with lightly balmed fingertips.