WEN

Frequent Contributor

Scalp Build-Up Help! Please :-)

Hi all! I have been a faithful WEN user for years. I never cheat! Lately however I am experiencing a waxy build-up on my scalp and my hair just doesn't feel wonderful.

I have been using mostly TT since it is supposed to be the problem/solution formula. I cut out using a pump for leave in, cut out styling products, which were WEN also. Nothing is helping.

I don't know what to do! I know how to use WEN properly, rinse well etc. As stated, I have been a wenner for years. What is going on?? Any advice would be appreciated. I am getting desperate. I don't want to switch from my WEN, and don't understand how something that has been so wonderful for years could suddenly not work???

TIA! Blue

Valued Contributor

Re: Scalp Build-Up Help! Please :-)

[ Edited ]

some people use cucumber aloe for clarifying and some people actually use shampoo once every few months (or once a month? i am not one of those people so i don't know what to recommend) to clarify their hair/scalp.

tea tree always gives me the squeaky cleanest scalp...do you use the tea tree oil as well? what other CCs are you incorporating into your routine? is there a new(er) one in your rotation that could be accounting for it? or other new/different stuff going on in your life that could affect this? maybe talk to your stylist or your doctor?

a few years ago i finished a tea tree gallon and only used the wen i had left on hand-- fall ginger pumpkin and 613. shortly my beautiful hair that had garnered so many compliments for the previous year of mostly tea tree cc got drier and started tangling more and eventually was brittle and breaking off and i couldn't get a comb through it-- even after a shower. i thought it was some crazy health thing or something because i hadn't stopped using wen (if anything i was wenning more often). anyway, this is how i found out that i am extremely sensitive to the added amino acids in the seasonals and 613. my point being, maybe look to what changes have been made to your usual wen routine in addition to other stuff. good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why don't you just use shampoo every now and then if you feel like it?  I love Wen, and it makes a big difference in my hair, but I have the Herbal Essence cowash, which lathers A TON, to use every now and then.  When I use it, I either wash with Wen afterwards for moisture or add a couple of pumps of Wen as a leave-in. 

Honored Contributor

BlueBirdSky, as jennys kid mentioned, Chaz has always said that the Cucumber Aloe (CA) formula is the most clarifying and astringent, so that's probably your best bet. 

Overnight scalp Oil treatments might help loosen any excess sebum (body oil) that is on your scalp. So if you purchased the CA TSV, you'd have the CA CC and the CA oil at an excellent price. 

Some people use a solution of water mixed with a bit of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) as a cleansing rinse on occasion. -- You can google this combo to get the right mix because I think you only add a small amount of ACV.

Additionally, I'd recommend that you give the customer service folks at Chaz's salon a call. They are very nice and knowledgeable. And checking with your doctor is always a good idea. 

Best of luck!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Hmm, I am not rotating any CC formulas in that I haven't used successfully in the past. I have been using 613 though, I haven't had trouble with it in the past but maybe I have become sensitive to it? 

The only other thing that has changed in my life is that I have gone off of some medication recently but I can't imagine that would have done anything.

I have been considering trying a shampoo. It's just that the last time I did I literally couldn't comb my hair afterwards and had to get back in the shower and WEN straight away. That was a while ago, I didn't remember that I has used the last of the WEN in my shower until I was in the shower so I just used the shampoo there rather than get out and go get some WEN while dripping wet. It was awful.

Geez what to do! I know that seems dramatic but I have really long hair and I have spent a lot of time and money to care for it well. It used to be my best feature... till recently. :-(

Blue

Frequent Contributor

Thanks bebe777. Those are some good ideas!

Blue

Respected Contributor

Any type of "clarifying shampoo" would work for build up on hair or scalp. Using a "clarifying shampoo" is good for ones scalp and hair. Also, especially before coloring your hair. Pantene has a nice one and it is not expensive. Used monthly it keeps scalp and hair free of any build up. This can be used along with any brand of shampoo or cleansing conditioner you use. 💆😊
Respected Contributor

The same thing happened to me. I was at my hairdresser last week getting a touch up and she told me that my scalp was very clogged and scaly. I also use TTonmy scalp. She recommended a clarifying shampoo so I started using Aveda Scalp Benefits. It seems to be helping my scalp so I will use my Wen periodically but not all the time anymore.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Frequent Contributor

Hi Blue. Don't feel bad about using a shampoo to remove scalp build up every so often. I agree with BeBe, use the Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with water. I can also recommend Giovanni 50:50 Shampoo and Conditioner. Giovanni is a natural product that is PH balanced and clarifying. You can find Braggs and Giovanni at most health food stores, Wegmans, and I think Target. Wen always seems to perform better after a good clarifying session.

Valued Contributor

I had the same problem.  I left Wen and started using Aveeno Shampoo and Conditioner and Nick Chavez Volumn S&C.  Both work great and and after three months my scalp is clear now.