WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Need some help please - My maltese's groomer had a family emergency and had to cancel his appt. Now I am leaving and will be gone for a while - As he needs a "freshen" up, can I use regular WEN on him? And, how much would I use? I don't have the pet wen. TIA for your help

Valued Contributor

Yes! The reason Chaz made Wen Pets was because so many of us were using Wen on them! I just used SMC on my pup 2 days ago.. (& he smells delicious)Cat LOL

I just make sure I get him real wet.. pump the Wen directly on his back and rub into his skin (like a massage). My pup is bigger (50lbs) so I put more on my hand to get his underneath, legs & behind. You shouldn't have to use that much though because you've got a smaller pup. I then splash some water on him, rub rub rub again and completely rinse out.

With any product just make sure to be very careful around his head, ears & eyes. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, you can use regular wen on your pet, but I'd suggest using the Kids formula if you have one, as there is no menthol in that, or if you only have core formulas, don't use Tea Tree on him.  Also, one of the key features of WEN Pets is that it comes with a dilution bottle.  So take any empty bottle you have a good lid for, pump in the amount you think you'll need, then add warm water and shake the dickens out of that bottle to thin out the WEN.  Then wet your dog down and apply the diluted wen, making sure not to get it in his eyes or ears, massage it through his coat gently, so you don't wash in tangles (assuming you've thoroughly and completely brushed him out and removed all tangles before you get him wet in the first place), and finally rinse him out with tepid water until all the WEN is rinsed out.  It ought to work just fine and leave him smelling good, too.  Hope this helps!

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks much everyone! Off to the tub it is!!
Honored Contributor

Also, Chaz has mentioned that one of the reasons he created a Wen Pets CC was that the skin pH for animals is different than it is for people. So Wen Pets CC is probably gentler on pets. Also, people shouldn't use the Wen Pets on themselves (per Chaz).

That said, for years, Chaz had used Wen (people) CCs to wash his dogs before he created Wen Pets CC, so I'm sure it's fine to use your Wen CCs on your maltese. -- As someone else had already mentioned, just don't use CCs which contain tea tree on your animals. 

Best of luck!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
Camille gave you perfect instructions! Since I have so much extra "human" CC, I still haven't purchased Wen Pets.........my doggies don't mind 😃

Like she said, it's easiest to dilute the Wen in a cup or small bottle (an empty water bottle works perfectly). I use about three or four pumps of CC per dog, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm warm, then shake to dissolve. It works perfectly and allows for easiest rinsing. I also spray them with RTM once they're dry.
Valued Contributor

I'm one that can't buy wen pets because I am sensitive to lavender but we use wen kids on the dogs all the time!  

Esteemed Contributor

I use it all the time and i love spraying him with 613  <3

Honored Contributor

I wash my doggies in BGT.  Took lable to vet and he said OK.  They smell Sooooo good.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I would avoid if it you are using Tea Tree.