WEN

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for long time Wen users

I have used WEN for about 7 years.  I always have at least 3 in the tub w/shower.  Right now it is a gal of lavender, 613 and a seasonal.   In about 2 weeks my gal will be gone and I have a gal of BGT waiting.   My second cleanse always includes the 613.  Everything I need to finish my cleanse is right there at my finger tips so it goes on soaking wet hair.  Since I retired I let my hair air dry unless I am going away.  I try to stay away from my styling tools although they are all supposed to be "safe".   My hair is about to my shoulder blades.   I get it cut about every other month.  The last 2 visits she cut off about 5-6 inches.  My hair is truly baby fine and straight as an arrow.  Because of lupus and hypothyroidism I have had a problem with losing more hair daily than the average lady.  My hair was brittle and would not grown past my shoulder.  Since using WEN ,even my stylist of 25+ years has said, my hair is in its best shape ever.  Because of my meds I stopped getting permanents because they burned my scalp and hair.  I watch Chaz do his demonstrations even when I don't need supplies.  I wrap my hair every night or when I am just working around the house.  My hair does come down in curls and I only finger comb.  I will never have hair like the models but I not far behind.  I am 72.  I get many compliments and I love my hair.  I got my orders in this visit.  Just in time as I am using my last bottle if oil.  I need to do a quick inventory and make sure I am not low on other items.

Trusted Contributor

I only rotate between the rice based options at this point, but I have tried two of the soys and the kids. I didn't have much success with any of those, although that could have been user error, except for the kids which I used quite a while. Now I consider BGT the least moisturizing, MIF the most, and FF in between. I rotate among them. I do think my hair is nourished enough to try the seasonals again wiht potentially more success.

But yes, I do think my hair signals its needs. I have an MIF oil treatment on now for that reason!

Regular Contributor

I have been using Wen since Chaz came to the Q over 10 years ago. I started with the fig and SAM and used both exclusively with great results until the seasonals started. The first year of seasonals, none of them worked for my hair. I gave up trying for a while.

Then, 613 came out and I tried it with terrible results. I now understand that my hair was not very porous at the time and therefore was protein intolerant.

About the time I turned 40, 2 years ago, my hair wouldnt hold on to moisture, probably due to color and age and I almost gave up on Wen. Thankfully, I tried the current seasonal and it was a major success. 

I now understand that my hair is much more porous and actually needs the extra protein to fill in the "holes" in order to keep moisture in. I still can't tolerate 613 but I do well with 319 used sparingly.

I recently went back to try some core formulas after using only seasonals for about 2 years. It was not good. I tried the SAM and fig and they just did not perform well. My hair  looked dull and lifeless.

So, yes, I have had to change formulas but it was because my hair changed.

I also have had to adjust other things- my hair used to hate anything oily but now it loves the oils- I add oil to my leave in and my mousse and mix some with RTM on day 2 and 3. It is amazing that I can use so much without getting weighed down or greasy but it works. I use 1/2 dropper in each step and I have shoulder length, wavy/curly hair that is color treated and a bit on the fine side.

go figure😀

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom

Yes, when I started, about 5 years ago it was all TT 1st and FIG 2nd.  I had oily, itchy, medicine issue scalp & dry, dry damaged hair.  After about a year or so when all poo hair was gone, my hair seemed not to need the FIG so much & 613 came out!

So, my new routine for a while was Tt & 613.  But shortly my hair just didn' seem to like 613 daily as much as I did.  

As as time has move along, I'm now using TT @ every other cleanse  alternating with MIF or  BGT mixed with SHP, WIF, or WVM for 2nd cleanse.

I don' think this is all in aid of my desire to tr new flavors!  I don't eat or drink the same thing every day why should my hair.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@jaxs mom

Yes, when I started, about 5 years ago it was all TT 1st and FIG 2nd.  I had oily, itchy, medicine issue scalp & dry, dry damaged hair.  After about a year or so when all poo hair was gone, my hair seemed not to need the FIG so much & 613 came out!

So, my new routine for a while was Tt & 613.  But shortly my hair just didn' seem to like 613 daily as much as I did.  

@As as time has move along, I'm now using TT @ every other cleanse  alternating with FTF & BGTmixed with SHP or WVM for 2nd cleanse.

I don' think this is all in aid of my desire to tr new flavors!  I don't eat or drink the same thing every day why should my hair.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Your system resonates with me.  I also mix it up and very rarely use the same thing two shampoos in a row.  I mix one pump of 613 in whatever I'm using for my first cleanse, most of the time TT or POM, but only every other shampoo or so and this works well for me.  I always use a seasonal as my second cleanse mixed with a little bit of SAM occasionally.  But never the same one twice in a row.  I like variety.  My hair does too.

Frequent Contributor

I do switch up my products from time to time.  When my hair starts getting unmanageable I usually need a haircut or the weather has changed,pregnancy also changed it. In addition, switching my CC and leave in products help tremendously. 

In high humidity I find that slcv and FAS work best. My stylist told me to deep condition more often which makes a difference. She believes that if hair has enough moisture then it won't pull in more moisture from the air.  The cuticle can only hold so many molecules and if it is loaded already then it won't attract water molecules from the air. She specializes in curly heads like mine.

I like fig in the winter but seasonals year round. FTP and SHL are two that I can use any time, these seem to be more universal to me.  The SHP and FVWP are very similar in performance and I use them based on scent. They are super hydrating without being heavy and they make my hair shine and my curls tighter, sometimes too tight. I can't imagine SHP loosening curl definition. If your hair is wavy and you want more curl, maybe you just need to change up styling/leave in products. I change leave in products based on weather. I usually air dry my hair and the leave in products help me to achieve looser or tighter curls. I love loose, big ringlets but the level of humidity over rules my preferences.  I also think of the CC as my foundation since healthy hair is key. You may want to choose a lighter core CC also. 

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I did do an oil treatment ( my oil mix on the scalp and coconut oil on the length) and then cleansed with CA I had in travel packs. No leave in, no SC and air dried and I love the way it came out. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Long time for me is that I have been using WEN for 5 years.  I started with SAM and only used it.  Over the years I have added and become a mixologist.  I have tried many scents but have stuck with SAM for my first cleanse, then my 2nd cleanse consists of mostly SHP (my fav for my fine hair) and a pump of BGT and a pump of 613.  I'm not sure if I love the Summer Honey Peach mostly for its scent or the honey complex and how wonderful it makes my blonde hair look.  I love the SHP for my leave in.  I get a whiff of it all day!

My 81 year old mother is a WEN user, because I keep her supplied Smiley Happy  She told me the other day that she has noticed that PJP works best for her.  I have given her TT, SAM, POM and the Pink Jasmine Peony.  She has very thin, fine hair and her hair is completely gray.  Since she has been solely using WEN for a couple of years, her hair is better than ever.  Her gray is a beautiful, shiny gray.  It used to be dull and yellowing.  And her hair is getting thicker!  I sure hope Chaz brings the PJP to us at the Q in October like he mentioned he might!  I will definitely stock up to keep my mom supplied with it year round!

Respected Contributor

My dermatologist told me to throw WEN away. I developed scalp issues, and he has seen numerous patients with similar problems and with hair loss. Beware.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

My dermatologist told me to throw WEN away. I developed scalp issues, and he has seen numerous patients with similar problems and with hair loss. Beware.

@libbyannE

No need for the 'warning'.  This is the WEN forum.  

We're quite savy about WEN, love it & Chaz. Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras