WEN

Honored Contributor

Question for long time Wen users

Did you hit a point where you had to change your CCs? It seems like every year I've ended up having to change my CC routine.

First year it was all 613, first gen seasonals, with Fig and TT plus I played around with CA.  My hair was dry then and pretty coarse.  

Second year I had to lay off the 613 and seasonals as it seemed to be too much protien so I was all Fig and TT . Hair was still dry but not as much. 

Third year it was mostly Wen kids ( usually for both cleanses) but I also played around with the Dec TSV CCs and I found the second gen seasonals work much better for me than the first gen ones. 

Fourth year it was Wen Kids and SOB. I also finally cut off the last of my shampoo hair when I cut my hair from tailbone to collarbone length. 

Since then, I added SHP to the mix. I'm concerned that I've been using the seasonals too often. I don't know. It could also be that my hair is past my bra strap again and I haven't cut it in 11 months. No split ends though. Maybe I should just experiment with double cleansing with kids again and see if I like it better. A lot of the time I've been just using SOB and SHP instead and I think my hair isn't getting the curl definition it had. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for long time Wen users

I've been using WEN off and on for as long as he's been at the Q. I started out with Lavender and Tea Tree and when he brought out the seasonals I tried those too. Right now I like 613, Mandarin Italian Fig and Bamboo Green Tea. I have used all the accessary products too, I think the oils are too much work and I feel I don't need it anyway. I wear my hair very short and the new texturing spray does wonderful things to my fine thin hair.

Esteemed Contributor

To tell you the truth I started using Wen so long I forgot where I started with the CC.  All I remember was that first whiff of the "old" TT oil lol.

i do remember that I didn't mix for a long time until I joined the forum and starting learning about mixing,

i have the minimum of 4 different cc's in my shower at all times,  I mainly use TT on my scalp for the first cleanse and use a seasonal or core, second cleanse is usually a seasonal with SAM, I always incorporate that formula in my 2nd cleanse.

now every season I do change it up with  different seasonals,  right now I'm using MIF and FTP in my setup.  I haven't used either of these extensively and I am more than happy with the results.   I don't stay with one combo for too long.  I always change with the seasons,  sometimes I give the TT a break and use BGT for the scalp on the first cleanse.

Trusted Contributor

Will NEVER use Wen again. Lost a lot of hair from it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know what you consider a long time wen user but yes, I've noticed that I've had to change formulas over the years. I used Pom for awhile. I also used TT for awhile even though I have no scalp issues - more to encourage growth- and I liked it for my first cleanse but then I felt like it became too drying over time. I also used fig for awhile because it is suppose to be the most moisturizing and I needed more moisture but then it  eventually felt too heavy- I felt like it wasn't really moiturizing my hair as much as it was coating it, if that makes sense?

Before SHP came along, SMC was my most recent favorite - good moisture but not too heavy, nice scent- but then SHP came along and has been heaven sent for me as it is just the perfect amount of moisture without feeling heavy or way, keeps my hair shiny and bouncy and just lovely. I do like SHL but mainly for the scent as it isn't enough moisture for my hair.

I hoping another seasonal comes along that I like as much as SHP so I have a little variety. I don't use any of the core line anymore. I still plan to try another Kids wen.

My hair has always been long so I know that the length doesn't factor into why certain ones no longer work for me. I have no idea why they don't. It is odd. I know some think that you need to mix up your shampoo up as your hair "get used to" one particular kind but I've never subscribed to that belief as it has no real basis to it. So who knows??

ETA: @jaxs mom I updated my post to include more specifics as to why I was using certain CCs so that it is clear that I was changing due to changes in my hair's needs and not just changing CCs for fun or to mix things up. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@gigy wrote:

Will NEVER use Wen again. Lost a lot of hair from it.

Then you didn't need to "answer" the question.  I believe the OP asked "long time Wen users" to give their experience.

I do hope though that you sought medical advice to be certain that your problem was caused by Wen and not another, possibly serious, medical condition.

Honored Contributor

I'm asking specifically about your hair having changing needs over time and performance changes. Not just changing it up because you feel like it. 

I always thought it was because my hair was more dry when I first started using Wen. And due to shampoo damage I needed the extra protien. Like @HappyDaze I think I've finally hit the point where Fig is too much for my hair. I know we've had discussions in the past about even the humidity and certain CCs. I forgot that for the last 2 years I've also been using a shower filter that removes chlorine and minerals among other things. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom Sorry if my post was misleading but the reason I change is because my hair has different needs throughout the year.  In the winter my hair needs more moisture because of indoor heating and meds.    My hair does not get too used to a particular formula because I change it up so often.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ANewHue I didn't think it was misleading. I just wanted to clarify since so many of us do enjoy switching it up for enjoyment, me included.  You bring up a good point though, it's much colder where I live now than anywhere previously and it's also more humid in summer here. I used to live in the desert. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, my hair seems to have mood swings as I do. Like 613, I can use it every cleanse for a while and then when I attempt to use it again my hair doesnt respond or it just feels different. I have to take a break from 613 from time to time. 319 seemed to give my hair a good response for a longer period of time, now my hair seems to be ready for another break.

I havent sat down to tie it with nutritional, hormonal or seasonal changes but I do think that is the issue. Either that or my hair may just hit its moisture max and reject the formula. I have never had to "shelf" a product longer than a few cleansing though before my hair started to respond again.

I try to change things up frequently to help. And believe it or not sometimes going back to just core for a couple of cleansings helps.

#IAmTeamWen