WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Protein in shampoo, question

[ Edited ]

I know I canot use a shampoo or conditioner that  has proteins in it,so how can I know if protiens are in it?

What should I be looking for so I do not buy one that has proteins in it?

Thanks  in advance    Smiley Happy

My hair has been looking really bad lately and I do not know why. I am just using my normal WEN,nothing different . I am a 13 yr WEN user and thanks to all of you here, I know I cannot use anything with protein in it.

I  want to switch to a reg shampoo for a bit to see if I can stop whatever is going on ,but now I don't know what to try.........lo...l and I know proteins are not good for my hair. So what would be  a protein on the ingredient lists?.............lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Protein in shampoo, question

They hide under all kinds of names. I look for words like keratin, amino acids, and hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed collagen, keratin, silk, wheat protein are just a few examples.

You might want to check for clarifying shampoos, like Ouidad Water Works or Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. They often avoid proteins.

Honored Contributor

Why can't you use one with protein...does it make your hair dry?

Honored Contributor

I don't know of any that doesn't have some type of protien in it. If you have to avoid a specific protein source, like soy or wheat then it should say the source in the ingredient list. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma  there is no form of protein in the ingredients list on Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo, as @ChynnaBlue predicted.

Suave Daily Clarifying is an excellent cleaner/ de-greaser.

Might be too strong to use for an extended period of time if your skin is delicate.

I add it to hot water in the bathtub to soak and clean my kitchen window blinds. It's a better de-greaser than liquid dish soap.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for all these answers  Smiley Happy

Contributor

@MalteseMomma

Glad you asked this because I am all of a sudden having a problem that I think is too much protein.  My hair is getting frizzy, tangled, and knotted on the ends.

I only have one WEN CC that doesn't have Soy protein (Fig and its a bit) and am thinking of ordering one of the other classic CCs without soy when I get the TSV in March.

I'm just not sure which one - maybe I'll try CA since I have fine hair and its been getting a bit oily.

Honored Contributor

I can't use protein and it's been a journey finding brands I can use. I love Kerastase but the protein count is high; however the conditioners and masks are protein free. 

There are those who say that DevaCurl products are NOT protein free due to the hops she uses; if you check out numerous hair forums, you'll see this protein is a BIG deal as are discussions as to what constitutes being a "protein". Diva Curl dried out AND faded my color (the one with orange essence in it) so her line is a no-go for me.

Good luck on your search; it does take some trial and error but you'll find products are out there and ARE starting to list being protein free as well as sulfate free, vegan, etc.

Honored Contributor

@gemslily wrote:

@MalteseMomma

Glad you asked this because I am all of a sudden having a problem that I think is too much protein.  My hair is getting frizzy, tangled, and knotted on the ends.

I only have one WEN CC that doesn't have Soy protein (Fig and its a bit) and am thinking of ordering one of the other classic CCs without soy when I get the TSV in March.

I'm just not sure which one - maybe I'll try CA since I have fine hair and its been getting a bit oily.

If your issue is too  much protien then fig is likely one of the best Wen formulas to use since it's so high in moisture. According to Chaz the issue is keeping protien and moisture in balance. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@gemslily wrote:

@MalteseMomma

I'm just not sure which one - maybe I'll try CA since I have fine hair and its been getting a bit

@gemslily
I cannot take those protiens. Thanks to everyone here I learned that a while ago, so I returned to my regular CA and Fig that I have used for years.
 I was using my old faithfull CA  with a Fig leave in because my hair was getting so dry and dead looking and it seemed to me thining. It began looking greasy on top  and dry on the ends and my color was terrible and I needed to wash every other day (everyday if i were going out)
Sadly,CA alone began to  make it totally dry.So, I stopped all WEN.After using it for 13 yrs I do believe the menthol in the CA is just too strong for my old,naturally blonde ,fine hair.
I went back to the Pantene I had used all my life before I met "WEN"............lol  It seems to be ok.............we will see .....