WEN

Respected Contributor

Hey, all, I'm seeking WEN user's opinions on permanent waves, if anyone uses them.  I'm old enough to remember my Mom buying them in the grocery store hair care aisle, and the little papers and plastic curlers that went with them.  Last I looked, I didn't see OTC perms offered for sale, so I figure that aspect of DIY hair care has gone the way of roller skates you tightened on your shoes with a key.  Probably not a bad thing, frankly.  So, with my terminally straight hair, I'm thinking of going to a salon for a perm, but I'd like to know if any other WEN users get them, and if so, what kind do you get, and do they fry your hair, or does WEN help prevent that sort of damage?  Last time I had a salon perm was in the '80's, an "acid perm", and the beautician putting it in put me under the hood dryer and got to talking on the phone with a friend and forgot me, and by the time she remembered me, my hair was destroyed, it broke off at the first turn of the roller above my scalp, and I had a military buzz cut for a hair style.  Not happy, I can assure you!  So, to prevent that happening again, I'm seeking opinions on some of the newer options available, if any of my fellow WEN users employ them.  Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

@CamillePWow!  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.. I haven't thoughht about those perms for decades!

I also haven't had a perm for over 30 years.  Last time I did, it was done professionally but, like you, I had breakage.  I went to a different professional who told me that with my fine, delicate hair, I had to choose between color and perms.  I went for the color which makes a bigger difference for me. 

The money I might be spending on those perms goes to more frequent visits for cut and color -  it's not easy or cheap getting old!

Hope someone has better news for you.

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Hey, all, I'm seeking WEN user's opinions on permanent waves, if anyone uses them.  I'm old enough to remember my Mom buying them in the grocery store hair care aisle, and the little papers and plastic curlers that went with them.  Last I looked, I didn't see OTC perms offered for sale, so I figure that aspect of DIY hair care has gone the way of roller skates you tightened on your shoes with a key.  Probably not a bad thing, frankly.  So, with my terminally straight hair, I'm thinking of going to a salon for a perm, but I'd like to know if any other WEN users get them, and if so, what kind do you get, and do they fry your hair, or does WEN help prevent that sort of damage?  Last time I had a salon perm was in the '80's, an "acid perm", and the beautician putting it in put me under the hood dryer and got to talking on the phone with a friend and forgot me, and by the time she remembered me, my hair was destroyed, it broke off at the first turn of the roller above my scalp, and I had a military buzz cut for a hair style.  Not happy, I can assure you!  So, to prevent that happening again, I'm seeking opinions on some of the newer options available, if any of my fellow WEN users employ them.  Thanks in advance!

@CamilleP  My current hairdresser told me that the only perms that she does currently are for her older clients.  It isn't a very popular procedure any longer so you won't find too many hairdressers currently that will have a lot of experience with perms.  

Respected Contributor

Hi there.  Oh my goodness!  You poor thing!  I would have gotten compensated for the damage they did through negligence.  I wouldn't have tried to "get rich quick" but I definitely would have tried for compensation for any burns and plus the damage to your hair and that's damage to your well being.  There is a site called 30 things or 30 complaints about salons and it's a guy just narrating.  It's really good and most of all all 30 complaints are VALID complaints.  What happened to you was one of them.  When you go to a salon the person servicing you should pay attention to you ALONE.  No phones, no eating, drinking, after all you're paying for them to service you.  That's really a shame.  I go to a salon that's nice and quiet and the owner uses my Wen on me that I bring myself.  She's very attentive and does a great job and does what I want her to do, not what she wants to do.  I had a perm once in my life many years ago at a salon and they did a good job.  My hair has a natural wave which I blow dry out.  It's funny you know, ladies with straight hair want some wave/curl and curly/wavy girls want straight.  I would recommend finding a salon that is upscale and does good work, check them out first.  I would talk to them and make a decision from there.  I wouldn't dabble in chemicals at home, (I mean no disrespect) because something could go wrong.  I wish I could have better advice.  I would tell the next salon I choose what happened though.  I feel it's a chronic problem in salons, they leave the "patient" hanging.  Good luck hon.  I hope whatever you choose you're happy with. XO

Super Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

I know Chaz uses a perming technique called an air perm. I haven't had a perm in forever, so I can't quite remember all the steps. At one point, there was a video on his website about it. I do remember it takes a lot longer and means walking around in curlers for a day or so, but it's supposed to be easier on your hair Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I remember those perms called Tonnette that came with paper dolls.  My mother gave them to me often and my father would leave the house because the smell was so bad.  I have always had completely straight and fine hair which was not the look at that time.  Then the 1960s came and I was right in style while helping my friends ironing their hair straight.  Then in the 1970s curls came back and I went to a very high end salon for body perms that would last only a couple of months.  When I look at those pictures I long for the hair I had with body that would hold a curl.  I finally decided to accept my hair as it is and haven't had a perm since the 70s.  I am complimented on my shiny straight hair which is very healthy.  I am an ex wen user as it did nothing for my hair. Those with curls don't realize how limiting straight hair is -- few style options and flat hair.  I have been lucky that even at my age I have no grey hair and have never colored it in my life.  Sometimes I give minor thought to a perm and my hairdresser at one point suggested one.  I've come to accept what I have.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  When my hair was long, it looked nice being straight, but then I got it cut short, and it looks awful unless I go to a great deal of hassle to style it with heated tools.  Chaz's techniques with a round brush and blow dryer do absolutely nothing for this stick-straight stuff.  Even a Callista Perfecter only lasts a few hours unless I use hair spray.  I really hate using heat every day, I know how much damage that does, but I also hate looking like a mushroom with a fine, flat cap on top.  I am hoping to find a perm style that will give me a soft wave that looks nice without having to apply heat, but that I could also heat style for special situations  and have the style last all day without having to use hair spray.  I know there are new chemical processes being used for perms, so I am hoping to find someone who will know the right kind to use for my hair.  I'm in a small university town, so there are more hair salons than might be the norm for it's average population, and I hope that works in my favor.  Thanks again, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Anybody else have any experience with modern salon perms?  Acid versus alkaline versus "digital" perms?  Any more info?

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I remember those perms called Tonnette that came with paper dolls.  My mother gave them to me often and my father would leave the house because the smell was so bad.  I have always had completely straight and fine hair which was not the look at that time.  Then the 1960s came and I was right in style while helping my friends ironing their hair straight.  Then in the 1970s curls came back and I went to a very high end salon for body perms that would last only a couple of months.  When I look at those pictures I long for the hair I had with body that would hold a curl.  I finally decided to accept my hair as it is and haven't had a perm since the 70s.  I am complimented on my shiny straight hair which is very healthy.  I am an ex wen user as it did nothing for my hair. Those with curls don't realize how limiting straight hair is -- few style options and flat hair.  I have been lucky that even at my age I have no grey hair and have never colored it in my life.  Sometimes I give minor thought to a perm and my hairdresser at one point suggested one.  I've come to accept what I have.

Sounds like we have similar hair & hair experiences. I also have very straight, fine (but thick) hair that has a tendency to go flat.

I remember my mom giving me one of those perms when I was little.  I can remember how much they stunk...I can smell it right now!  

In the 1960s I also had friends who ironed their hair or used one of those large orange juice cans to wrap their hair around to smooth out the curls.  I was in style with my straight hair.  Flat straight hair looked good on a teenager & twentysomething.  

In the late 70s I got a perm and then again a few years later in the early 80s when everyone had big hair.  I think it made my hair a bit too curly and I remember it taking a few weeks for it to relax & look good.

Now I just deal with my straight flat hair and wear it in a bob.  I also don't have any gray but color it a few times a year to give it a warm caramel tint to my dark brown color.  I just wish I could give it more lift...that seems to be my hair struggle.

Respected Contributor

Well, I got my perm today.  Came out gorgeous, with lots of soft, gentle spiral curls.  Stylist told me not to shampoo for three days, LOL.  I think I'll remoist tonight, rinse out tomorrow morning, scalp oil tomorrow evening, and double cleanse tomorrow night, and be good to go Friday morning.  Hey, I'm not disobeying orders, I will never shampoo again!