WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: OT- truck accelerated on its' own

@77yangya wrote:

Hey, don't worry about being OT.  I had that happen to me and I was terrified.  I was sat at a red light and all of a sudden the car lurched forward.  Good thing I don't tail gate.  They could find nothing amiss.  It was in the 70's.  I was driving a Dodge Dart.  Was my ex's car.  It stayed with me all this time so I know how awful that can be.  Hope you're okay.  It was the weirdest thing ever happend to me as far as that goes.

@77yangya that would be scary! Back then it was cables so it actually was a bit easier to diagnose and fix. With all the computerized systems now, things can get glitchy and then hard (and expensive!) so diagnose! Anyway, I am glad you didn't get hurt and yes, it is very scary.

Honored Contributor

@yisbuff2 yes, @Venezia is right, I think. These types of things are bound to happen more, imo, due to the computerization. By the way, Venezia, I've been seeing commercials for cars that will stop for you if it "senses" danger and you might not have responded- can you imagine???? I do NOT want a car capable of breaking on its' own. Can you imagine that nightmare when it gets glitchy?? Geez. I am not a fan of all the computerization of cars for the obvious reasons mentioned here but also it is much more expensive and harder, if not impossible, for the owner to work on.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze - We think alike!  I actually told my DH as soon as I saw that "new technology"..."NO WAY!"   (Well, I put it a bit more strongly than that.  Smiley Wink)   I also don't want a car that drives itself.  I think we're getting too carried away with all this stuff taking the control away from the driver.

I know the PTB think it will make us all safer from the drivers who do everything but drive, when they're in their vehicles.  My answer to that is take away their drivers' licenses and their vehicles!

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@yisbuff2 - Yes, I think vehicles are more prone to these types of issues since they've become so computerized.  I spent 25 years as an analyst/programmer and I cringe sometimes at the mere thought of computer software controlling my vehicle!

That's because I know all too well that the software is only as good as the human programmer behind it.  I saw too many instances of sloppy work in my career.  I only hope that those producing the software for cars are more thorough and detail-oriented than some I worked with!  It's one thing, when it's a computer program producing a bank statement or similar thing - if there's an error it's a pain, but not life-threatening.  When it's a car or other machinery....Woman Sad

@Venezia Thank you for this information! You have just helped me understand a hunch. I completely agree with you as well.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@yisbuff2 yes, @Venezia is right, I think. These types of things are bound to happen more, imo, due to the computerization. By the way, Venezia, I've been seeing commercials for cars that will stop for you if it "senses" danger and you might not have responded- can you imagine???? I do NOT want a car capable of breaking on its' own. Can you imagine that nightmare when it gets glitchy?? Geez. I am not a fan of all the computerization of cars for the obvious reasons mentioned here but also it is much more expensive and harder, if not impossible, for the owner to work on.

I completely agree. Those driverless cars make me terrified too! What on Earth?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@HappyDaze - We think alike!  I actually told my DH as soon as I saw that "new technology"..."NO WAY!"   (Well, I put it a bit more strongly than that.  Smiley Wink)   I also don't want a car that drives itself.  I think we're getting too carried away with all this stuff taking the control away from the driver.

I know the PTB think it will make us all safer from the drivers who do everything but drive, when they're in their vehicles.  My answer to that is take away their drivers' licenses and their vehicles!

@Venezia haha, yeah that was my reaction to, complete with an expletive or two, lol.  Yes, we are constantly trying to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator instead of holding people accountable for their actions and  stopping them from DD (distracted driving). ugh.

Honored Contributor

@yisbuff2 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@yisbuff2 - Yes, I think vehicles are more prone to these types of issues since they've become so computerized.  I spent 25 years as an analyst/programmer and I cringe sometimes at the mere thought of computer software controlling my vehicle!

That's because I know all too well that the software is only as good as the human programmer behind it.  I saw too many instances of sloppy work in my career.  I only hope that those producing the software for cars are more thorough and detail-oriented than some I worked with!  It's one thing, when it's a computer program producing a bank statement or similar thing - if there's an error it's a pain, but not life-threatening.  When it's a car or other machinery....Woman Sad

@Venezia Thank you for this information! You have just helped me understand a hunch. I completely agree with you as well.

@yisbuff2, I agree. @Veneziathank you for sharing your expertise!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you are both okay. That must have been so scary! I can't imagine if that happened to me. I  probably wouldn't have reacted as well as your hubby. It's great that he was able to steer to safety. I hope you get the problem worked out or even a new vehicle. That would be awful if it happened again. Stay safe my friend. Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!