WEN

Honored Contributor

O/T- my 35 year old horse is gone.

I am devastated today ladies. He is not actually my horse but I have been taking care of him and love him with all my heart.  I spent the last 4 hours trying to help my sweet boy stand up as he had fallen and was stuck in mud. I won't go into all the details but we had to let him go, it was time. I held his sweet head in my lap as he took his last breath. I can't imagine not seeing him again. He was such a sweet boy with a wonderful spirit. Sometimes life is just so hard...

Respected Contributor

Re: O/T- my 35 year old horse is gone.

You obviously took great care of that animal - I am an animal lover - I'm sure it was comforting to the horse to have you with her/him in its final moments.  I truly believe you will see him again some day.  Sorry for your loss. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been there and had to come to the realization it's time to let a horse a go and it's really hard. 

((hug))

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm very sorry for your loss HappyDaze 😢

Trusted Contributor

OMGoodness - at least you had the benefit of being there for your ex-large Fur Kid.  Losing a pet Family member is devasting - I hate to say this - but many times harder than losing a human ... sometimes ... many prayers for heart healing.

Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry HD! Thirty-five is old for a horse, but we're rarely ready for our loved ones to leave us. I hope you can rest easier knowing that all the love you gave him made his life better through the end.

Respected Contributor

I feel for you. Heartbreaking to lose a beloved friend.
Honored Contributor

Thank you ladies, I really appreciate it. I could just see in his eyes that  he was no longer really with us. I've seen that look before in my dogs and it is a look you'll never forget and, frankly, a look I wish I would never have to see again. I was able to give him one last apple too, his favorite treat. A very special boy.

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

OMGoodness - at least you had the benefit of being there for your ex-large Fur Kid.  Losing a pet Family member is devasting - I hate to say this - but many times harder than losing a human ... sometimes ... many prayers for heart healing.

In some ways you are right. I really hope he knows how much he was loved. That is my hope.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

You obviously took great care of that animal - I am an animal lover - I'm sure it was comforting to the horse to have you with her/him in its final moments.  I truly believe you will see him again some day.  Sorry for your loss. 

I really hope it did comfort him. He was not in good shape and I only hope I brought him a little bit of comfort in his last moments. I hope beyond hope I will see him and all my other sweet pets one day.