WEN

Regular Contributor

Re: O/T- 3 horses running in the middle of the road in front of my house today

I knew there was something special about you when I started reading your awesome posts, thanks for helping out that guy! Most people don't know that the babies can still be in the pouch when the mom get's hit, so they don't check or look, great job!! Possums are amazing creatures, our only marsupials here, and again, most people don't realize that they were physically brought out to the west (by humans,) for their 'fur' and meat - and they've made this place home. Loved your story!

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze - glad Trooper is doing well - it's nice to get updates.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cerinthe That is such a kind and sweet thing to say- you truly made my stressful day much better. Thank you so much. Heart

I love all creatures, great and small, ugly and cute. Smiley Happy An opossum was in my front yard once when I lived in a neighborhood- my cat had cornered it  and the opossum was hissing at my cat- no lie, that thing was as big as a pig! I have never in my life seen an opossum that big! Of course I got my cat back  in the house and let the opossum go but wow!

And yes, our only marsupial that is why I was shocked when I was told by the Audubon society and several wildlife rescues that they wouldn't do anything for him. That was the second time the Audubon society disappointed me. And to think that I gave them money and was a member for many years! But I digress... Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh man, we had livestock get out on more than one occasion. Usually it was the cows, but the goats got out onto the neighbors property once. I don't think our horses ever got out. Catching cows is not enjoyable. Even our milk cow would occasionally resist getting caught if she got out. The joys of having small children and lifestock. In fact my daughter let her rabbits out once when she was little and we never did catch those. They lived in burrows they dug in the pasture as long as we owned that property lol. At least the pigs never escaped. Well when I was a kid the piglets would get out and those suckers are fast and a complete pain to catch. 

Glad you could save the opposum. My daughter volunteers at the local wildlife refuge and feed lots of baby animals. We found a baby racoon about five years ago in our yard and after following the refuges advice the mama never came back so he had to go get taken care of by them before being released. I still have a video of him, he was so cute. 

Speaking of opposums we had one that started sleeping in our garage. We were letting a stray cat sleep in there and he decided he'd move in too and started eating her food. He was young but not a baby, He eventually moved on. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze

Hi my friend !

Any updates on Trooper?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom Love your stories! I am known as the cattle whisperer around here, lol! My neighbor's cows are constantly managing to get out so when I drive by and they are in the road or eating grass on someone's lawn, I "herd" them back into my neighbor's pasture. The little ones are a bit more difficult, lol, but boy are the cute! Yes, Opossums love cat (and dog) food! Same with racoons. Smiley Happy
@Drythe hi!!! You bad girl, don't ask me until another week, lol!  You know I'm dying to call and ask already!! Remember, I was calling all the time so I made a promise that I'd wait 2 weeks until the next time I call. That should be this weekend so I will call then- although I am dying to call sooner,  lol!! I will let you all know. I am going to ask if his eyes are open and he's gotten hairy now. I bet he has. Maybe they will send me a picture of him. If they do I will share it here. Heart

Honored Contributor

@bebe777,

Don't give up on me.

Busy week-end, all packed though.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@bebe777,

Don't give up on me.

Busy week-end, all packed though.

@Drythe , I really appreciate it and there's no hurry because I'm out of town right now. Thanks again!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe Hey girlfriend! I just wanted to give you a heads up that I did call the wildlife place to inquire about Trooper since it has been the promised 2 weeks, lol, but haven't heard back yet. I am hoping they will take a picture of him and if so, I will post it. Thanks for asking about him!

I saw another opossum on the road, stopped, backed up and ran to make sure there was no pouch and babies, lol!. It was a male this time so that was good but still sad to see the poor guy. Smiley Sad

Today I had 12, count them 12 fatty baby mountain quail under my birdfeeder today! LOL! They looked like little footballs, lol! It was sooo cool. I've had California Quail before but it was cool to see the Mountain Quail and all those babies wow!! It was a cool morning. Smiley Happy

And thank you so much for finding that sweet Dalmation a forever home! Breaks my heart when people want to give up their animals for something so asinine!! Makes me ill but so happy he now how a family that will love him. You know, when researching those male diapers for dogs with incontinence, I read some reviews and people were saying things like "yay no more having to euthanize my dogs because of incontinence"- Can you imagine???!!! You would put an otherwise healthy dog to sleep because he can no longer hold his pee???? It makes me so very sad! I can't even imagine. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Drythe @bebe777 and for anyone else interested, I heard back from the wildlife rescue facility and they let me know that Trooper is still doing great. He has gained alot of weight, which he needed, his eyes are open and he is learning to feed on his own, yay!!! They said he is still on course to be released back into the wild once he feeds on his own for awhile and and is old enough so that is great news. I am still going to try to get them to take a picture for me if they have time. I'd love to see his progression since the last time I saw him he was just a little naked boy with eyes closed. Smiley Happy