WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T- 3 horses running in the middle of the road in front of my house today

@HappyDaze wrote:

@bebe777 and @Drythe and anyone else interested- just checked in on Trooper and he was moved to another state where a lady has several other Opossums that Trooper is going to hang out with a little bit to learn appropriate opossum behaviours and then she will release several of them at the same time. I was so happy he is progressing along so well and happy to hear he is transported to a place he can be with his kind and learn to be an opossum because I was wondering how they were going to teach him the things he needs to know before he is released.

It is just such a bright happy spot in my life right when I really need it. This will be the last update because I do not have the new place's number. Now I just pray he stays safe and grows up to be a big strong boy and lives a happy, healthy, full life. Smiley Happy

I do have sad news though. An old horse I take care of is probably not going to make it through this winter. He is such a majestic, beautiful, sweet boy and I can't imagine not O/T- my 35 year old horse is gone.seeing him again. He has lost alot of weight in the past few months even though he is eating his normal amounts. He is old-35- and perhaps it is just time. I just can't imagine not looking in his big beautiful, intelligent eyes ad petting his soft muzzle ever again.

@HappyDaze, I am so sorry to hear the news in your thread today: O/T- my 35 year old horse is gone.

From your original post just above: 

I do have sad news though. An old horse I take care of is probably not going to make it through this winter. He is such a majestic, beautiful, sweet boy and I can't imagine not O/T- my 35 year old horse is gone.seeing him again. He has lost alot of weight in the past few months even though he is eating his normal amounts. He is old-35- and perhaps it is just time. I just can't imagine not looking in his big beautiful, intelligent eyes ad petting his soft muzzle ever again.

My friend, you love animals with a passion and I think they love you back jusrt as strong. I have no doubt that he appreciated the quality of your caring, and that helped him through his last days. 

My hear is heavy for you, Happydaze. 

Your friend, 

bebe 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze

Thank you for taking time to let us know about Trooper.  I'm glad he's going to get an opportunity to explore his opposumness!  You deserve a gold star for helping this little fellow out.  You done GOOD, Happy!

Sad to hear about your horse friend.  There's just no way for us animal lovers to wiggle out of it, their lives are so short and fragile compared to ours, so where we love, we will know loss.  But there is no other way we would live. I know you've given your friend much love and joy. He sounds like a wise one, what a blessing in your life and in his.

I keep a copy of this with me always.

"There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who choose to travel in the company of animals.  It is a cycle unlike any other.  To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible.  Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given.
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.  Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.  We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.  It is a fragile circle.  But it goes round and round without end."

"The Once Again Prince," animal lover and gifted writer ~ Irving Townsend:

Best too you.  Heart

@HappyDaze, I'm reading through this thread again and @Drythe's post from The Once Again Prince seems so apt:

"There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who choose to travel in the company of animals.  It is a cycle unlike any other.  To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible.  Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given.

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.  Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.  We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.  It is a fragile circle.  But it goes round and round without end."

"The Once Again Prince," animal lover and gifted writer ~ Irving Townsend:

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

Not something you see everyday! lol! It scared me too because I was standing IN the road about to open my gate when I heard the sounds of hooves. I almost got ran over by them, lol! Sooooo beautiful  bu I am really worried they will get hit!

Oh and I saved a 4 week old opossum earlier this week too. Mama got hit by a car and all the 9 babies flew out of her pouch. Long story short, only one survived and survived not only getting hit and run over but eaten by the vultures and exposed to the cold and rain. I named him Trooper. He has an amazing will to survive! I was going to raise him but since his eyes were still closed and he was pretty much naked still I was nervous about how to feed him properly. Opossum young don't suckle well on normal bottles like other baby animals do so I was nervous about making sure he fed well enough to survive. Sad thing is- it is illegal to take in an opossum since they aren't native to our state but we have a secret, underground organization of caring wildlife experts that will take care of anything that needs to be cared for so I found him a good place and he is doing well, very well in fact. I must say, opossums aren't the cutest things but when they are tiny and naked and so helpless and squeak at you, you can't help but love them and want to protect them. Smiley Happy

It has been an interesting week, that is for sure! Anyone else have any ineresting tales to tell?

@HappyDaze, I saw these photos in another thread and I thought about you and the opposum you saved. Thanks to you Trooper is in safe hands and learning all about what it means to be a healthy and happy opposum. -- bebe Smiley Happy

___

___

PetsLady's Pick: Cute Pumpkin Possum Of The Day  ... see more at PetsLady.com ... The FUN site for Animal Lovers:

___

So I have this secret desire to own a possum.  oh...it's not a secret anymore. :

___

opossum SO CUTE!   My girl is penny poo,  she runs the house at night. Hangs on to my long hair. I love her:

___

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 those pictures are just too precious and brings tears to my eyes! I often think of little Trooper and hope (pray!) he is living a full and happy Opossum life. thank you, my friend.

Respected Contributor

At first I thought you were gonna mention Wen Dooters but that was a very nice thing you did.  OP that stopped the traffic for the deer.  That was very brave of you because where I live, I would have just gotten run over like you see in cartoons.   Where I live they use their vehicles like weapons, they drive very aggressively.  The poor animals are at the mercy of people sometimes.  Very good, both of you!  It does not go unnoticed by God.

Respected Contributor

Brdygirl, a horse in the middle of the room?  I think you had too much wine!  LOL!  Just kidding.   You guys must live in the country.  I'm for that!  I wish I did.  My husband's job cannot be left so here we stay.  Very selfless of all posters that helped poor animals.  Good job.  If I ever saw a horse by me it would most likely be mounted police.  People where I am are very hardened and very few will help a baby anything.  It's nice to see all the great posts on this thread.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@bebe777 those pictures are just too precious and brings tears to my eyes! I often think of little Trooper and hope (pray!) he is living a full and happy Opossum life. thank you, my friend.

@HappyDaze, I'm so glad.  Heart Heart Heart

{{{hugs}}}

bebe Smiley Happy  Heart Smiley Happy