WEN

Valued Contributor

My first post WEN salon experience

[ Edited ]

I have been using WEN exclusively for a little over 3 months now., My hair is fine but I have a lot of it. My hair was halfway down my back before my cut. I have been coloring it for about 10 years now. We kept it close to my natural auburn brown with lighter red gold highlights the last few years. I stopped coloring it last December.

I've been with my stylist for 4 years now. I started with her when she was young and getting established. Due to her extraordinary color skills, she has become an Instagram star and opened her own salon. Getting an appointment isn't always easy so when I called for one and mentioned I would need to bring my own WEN to the receptionist, I get a call back from my long time stylist saying she wouldn't allow it in her salon! 

At first I was thinking I could convince her but the attitude and her lack of trust in my own personal experience just made me want to go somewhere else. I made an appointment at a new salon that my daughter likes. I didn't mention anything about bringing my own products. When I met with my new stylist Chrissy, I just said I had some sensitivities and had brought my own CC and styling products. She was open to the fact and I handed her my bottle of 319 CC. I told her to use quite a bit, that she couldn't really overdo it. She said that she had worked with a similar non lathering product before, cant remember what she called it. 

After the cleanse, she sprayed a little of the 319 RTM and she was shocked when the comb glided through my long in need of a cut hair. "What is this stuff she said and started reading the bottle. I could see her face int he mirror as she read the label and she looked shocked, "this is WEN" she said. I could tell she was trying to wrap her head around the fact that a product she thought was bad for you was working like a charm. She continued to cut my hair (got about 2 inches of the dry bleached ends off) and then used the 319 mousse to style and diffuse my hair.

When we were over she sat and read the ingredient list and said this is all good stuff and I cant believe how great it works on your hair! She confessed she had a previous client who told the story of losing hair due to WEN and she believed them and had declared herself anti-WEN. As I pointed out not all products are for all people. I also talked to her about the learning curve with WEN products and finding the correct formula(s) to get one's best result.

Before I left she had a completely new attitude towards WEN. She said she would like me to bring some of the other products when I come again. So yesterday was a good day, i got some of my pre WEN over processed bits cut off, I found and inspired a new stylist to work with WEN and she got a new client.

She also complimented how silky and bouncy my hair was and that she didn't know any 50ish ladies with hair like mine. I took a pic Pre WEN in July and had them take another yesterday. I plan on documenting my first year of WEN use with before and after pics which I will share in the future. Smiley Happy

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Valued Contributor

Re: My first post WEN salon experience

@Debzzz - Great story!  Thank you for sharing it - looking forward to seeing your before and after pics!  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Debzzz  Great story.  So glad you found a stylist that is open to use your WEN when you go to have services done.  That so much for sharing. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, that IS a great story and I can't wait to see the photos too!  It took me years to find a salon that would use my Wen on me.  Isn't it something how people that are not familair with Wen marvel at how wonderful it works.

Honored Contributor

@DebzzzSo good to find a stylist who believes you.  Thanks for sharing.

Yesterday a I passed from room to room, I heard a snippet of a story (no idea even what channel I was on) in which it was said 30% of adult women have hair loss issues.  30%!!!!  

Anyway, that got me to wondering how many of those who reacted badly to WEN were women who already had or were headed to have hair loss.  Doesn't make it okay that 3 scents do seem to have too many issues, but it's something I keep thinking about ...as I head to my shower and some WEN. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops as we were discussing WEN, the stylist pointed out also that if you begin to experience hair loss, many people try new products, which they may then blame on the further hair loss.

It's not that I don't believe people, it is just that my hair used to "shed" quite a bit. I have little hair in the comb now that I am using WEN, plus it is so healthy and thick and shiny...but that is my experience.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Valued Contributor

I use WEN the day before my salon appt and tell the stylist that all she needs to do it wet it down before cutting.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go for my hair cuts to Vidal Sassoon Academy for the last several years.

I get various instructors and beauticians every time. They all are excellent! This place uses their chosen line of upscale fine hair products.

But, I've learned a long time ago, that the answer is already in a question, depending how question is asked. Therefore, I try to say it in a way, as to receive the answer I'd rather get.

I do not ask "if" they'd allow me bring or use my WEN, instead before they take me to wash, I just tell them straight out - "I do not use any shampoos. I use exclusively WEN products. Can you please use THIS on me?"

Then I simply pull out and place my WEN CC, SC, and Mousse in front of them.  I did not get "no" to my requests so far, not even once.

Whatever beautician's reasons may be - trying to push their line of hair products sold in the salon, believing their products to be the best thing on Earth, or simply having a misconception about WEN, I still believe  - this is non of anyone's business, what I choose to have in my hair. 

Who and why would make me use their product, if I do not wish so? 

Super Contributor

@Debzzz  I agree with your comments.  

Regular Contributor

Debzzz

I am so impressed with you for turning a negative experience to a positive.  To my mind, your initial stylist treated you very shabbily and I would have just walked away and have felt wounded.  You turned this around by sharing your truth and allowing others to see what is true about WEN.  Good wins this time.!  Congratulations!