WEN

Trusted Contributor

My cat loves WEN

[ Edited ]

My crazy cat, Buddy, loves WEN. After I applied the 613 NBT to my arms and legs, Buddy settled in and licked my skin until it was nearly raw. I didn't realize the 613 was the reason he was licking me so determinedly until after he'd probably consumed a decent amount of it. I was worried at first, but it didn't seem to affect him, so I guess it didn't hurt him. But I shoo him away now when he starts to lick me.

[Sorry for the incorrect impression I gave that Buddy does that often--post has been edited.]

This morning, I applied some WEN TT oil to a cat scratch on my ankle. Buddy started licking my leg. I was really concerned that TT could be bad for him, so I made him stop. He still came back later and tried to lick the TT oil off again, so apparently he likes the taste. Weird cat.

I wonder if Chaz's dogs do anything like that?

Honored Contributor

Do not let him lick this stuff off you. It isn't healthy for him. Tea Tree especially is known to be toxic to cats. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

Do not let him lick this stuff off you. It isn't healthy for him. Tea Tree especially is known to be toxic to cats. 

***************************************************************************************

Yes and menthol too. Even if it doesn't seem to bother him now, the effects can be cumulative. Please, please, don't allow this ever.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Do NOT let him lick the Wen products - especially anything with tea tree oil.  Tea tree oil is extremely toxic to cats - their kidneys will shut down immediately.  Please let us know that you have read these messages.  I'm worried for your kitty.

Trusted Contributor

I said in my message above that I stopped him from licking the TT oil. I will have to do some research on the ingredients of the 613 NBT and I may call his vet as well.

I think it's interesting that these products appeal to him so much and yet he's not much interested in people-food.

Trusted Contributor

Oh for heaven's sake, keep the cat off you when you have that stuff on.  Shouldn't be that difficult unless you WANT to have a sick cat than go ahead and let him lick!

Trusted Contributor

Re: My cat loves WEN

[ Edited ]

@Phantom41 wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake, keep the cat off you when you have that stuff on.  Shouldn't be that difficult unless you WANT to have a sick cat than go ahead and let him lick!

Don't be a jerk, I love my cat. My skin was already dry after the lotion application, which is why I didn't connect it at first. I shouldn't have said he does it often, that's not really correct. He did it once and has tried to do it multiple times since then. But I shoo him away when he starts to lick it now. I'm sorry I even mentioned it. We need a delete button on this forum.

Honored Contributor

aprimo,

I totally get it!

My 3 dogs and 5 cats all go for licking almost anything off of me!

Of course you're being careful with your babies!

Do have to wonder WHY they seem to go for exactly what you DON'T want them to have, isn't it?  Just try to get one of mine to lick off cat-lax  NO WAY!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Re: My cat loves WEN

[ Edited ]

I think someone needs a hug!

Respected Contributor

Picked up my pup from my vet a few minutes ago and asked her about this. (He was being groomed)   She says that usually when an animal does this it's not because likes the taste as much as it wants to get it off of you. And she agrees with the others here who feel that it can be cumulative and dangerous to the animal.