WEN

Contributor

Help!! First time user of Tea Tree Oil ever- and at Night!

[ Edited ]

Even though I'm trying out new shampoos, I have the most recent Wen TSV in Tea Tree.  I never loved the scent but can handle it to wash my hair This is my first attempt using the oil. OMG.  I feel like a bumbling fool not understanding how to apply it.  Am I supposed to rub into my scalp and then rub the oil through my hair from top to bottom and put it in a pony tail overnight?  More important, after many, many years of marriage I don't think I've ever gotten into bed smelling anything close to this. (and not in a good way.)  I'm sure it's been mentioned on the boards before but I haven't seen comments on this issue. I hope the oil is worth it!!! Thoughts please.  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: Help!! First time user of Tea Tree Oil ever- and at Night!

Another brave soul toughing out an overnight oil treatment first time out!   You can see toutorial videos on You tube.  They reccomend using four droppers full total doing a few passes from forehead to the back of your head with each dropper so you do passes over your whole head.  MASSAGE the oil in,  do not scrub it into your scalp.  It's a treatment not a penance, although with Tea Tree it may seem like it!  You sure can smooth the excess oil down the length of your hair but the oil is primarily a scalp treatment.  If you have any other of the treatment oils I'd put those on the length of your hair to help cut the scent of TT.  I also would WRAP all your hair in a towel overnight to cut down on the scent.  At the very least put your oil in as early as you can so the strong scent can dissipate a little bit before you go to bed.  In the long run if you are not used to the oils I would do your first treatment in the daytime.  the oils can affect your sleep patterns until you are used to them.  The more you use the oils the more your scalp will respond.  

Honored Contributor

I apply 1 dropper to the front right & left side of my scalp & 1 dropper on the right & left side on back of scalp. I massage in & comb with the Wen comb & put in a ponytail. I don't put it on the rest of my hair since it's a scalp treatment. By the time I use 4 dropper fulls my hair is saturated except the ends. I put it on my hair a couple hours before I go to bed. Even though I'm no longer using Wen CC I still like the oils. The smell does not bother me. Apparently it does not bother DH either as he has never said anything about it. We have used Tea Tree Oil on cuts, scrapes, etc for years so I guess we are used to the smell.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, put the oil in a few hours before bed. By the time you go to bed it shouldn't be nearly as strong. That's the way I do it. I've really gotten used to the TT scent. It doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe I've started to associate the great results with the scent in my mind, so I almost welcome it now.

Respected Contributor

@aprimo wrote:

I agree, put the oil in a few hours before bed. By the time you go to bed it shouldn't be nearly as strong. That's the way I do it. I've really gotten used to the TT scent. It doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe I've started to associate the great results with the scent in my mind, so I almost welcome it now.

This is what I do as well. The TT oil is pretty strong but if you put it on a few hours before bedtime that should help. Sometimes I'll add some 613 oil to my ends just to the TT oil isn't that overpowering.

Respected Contributor

I use the TT oil once a week, and honestly don't notice the smell except right at first. Once I've massaged it in and combed it through, I don't smell it. My hair is to short to ponytail, and I can't sleep with anything (towel, etc.) on my head, so after it has "settled" for about 20 minutes, I just go to bed. I've asked DH many times if the smell bothers him, and he said no.

I use 3-4 droppers in my chin-length hair, and once I've massaged my scalp thoroughly I pull the oil thru to the ends...I think it helps. I also spray Tea Tree Replenishing Mist on my hair before applying the oil most times. It seems to help with adding moisture to my hair.

Oh, and I spray my face and with  TT RTM some nights before bed, even if I'm not doing an oil treatment. I don't know what it is about Tea Tree, but it just seems to make everything better!

Honored Contributor

I use tea tree oil anywhere from three to five times a week before I got to bed. Like another poster, my hair is too short to put in a ponytail, so what happens is that all of my hair ends up getting the oil, which does not appear to be a bad thing. Smiley Happy

I do exactly as Chaz demonstrates on QVC: one full dropper in the front left, one full dropper in the front right, one full dropper in the back left, and one full dropper in the back right. I spell that out because many times he says "one full dropper in the front and back" showing four different places. That always threw me because I thought that meant one full dropper is dispersed/spread out in four places; but then one time he said "four full droppers total."

I don't mind the smell because I'm used to using Australian Tea Tree oil and spray for when I travel to jungle areas where there are lots of mosquitoes at night. Tea tree works wonders at keeping those pesky things away from me. 

I learned early on to put the oil on a couple of hours before I go to bed. One time I didn't and my head was quite saturated. I put a towel on my pillow to protect it, but feel that much of the oil ended up being soaked into the towel instead of my scalp that night!

Someone indicated that the oil should not be massaged into the scalp. I'm not sure why that shouldn't be done. I massage it into my scalp for about five minutes. I have thin/fine hair, and was starting to have loss of hair, which was beginning to look really bad. One of the remedies I read about online and heard on talk shows was to massage the scalp for five minutes every evening to stimulate growth. So I started doing that six months ago. I also started using WEN tea tree cleanser and oil in June of this year, and also increased my biotin intake. I'm happy to say that my hair is not thinning like it was and seems to be filling in nicely. Not sure if it is the scalp massage, the WEN, or the extra biotin; however, I continue to do all three because I think they each in their own way contribute to me having healthier hair now.

Trusted Contributor

@vermint wrote:

I use the TT oil once a week, and honestly don't notice the smell except right at first. Once I've massaged it in and combed it through, I don't smell it. My hair is to short to ponytail, and I can't sleep with anything (towel, etc.) on my head, so after it has "settled" for about 20 minutes, I just go to bed. I've asked DH many times if the smell bothers him, and he said no.

I use 3-4 droppers in my chin-length hair, and once I've massaged my scalp thoroughly I pull the oil thru to the ends...I think it helps. I also spray Tea Tree Replenishing Mist on my hair before applying the oil most times. It seems to help with adding moisture to my hair.

Oh, and I spray my face and with  TT RTM some nights before bed, even if I'm not doing an oil treatment. I don't know what it is about Tea Tree, but it just seems to make everything better!

I don't think I could sleep with a ponytail, or anything wrapped around my head either. I lay a towel over my pillow and that works pretty well. It doesn't seem to bother my sleep. A bit of the oil does seep through to the pillowcase sometimes. But I've not had a problem with it washing out. And I have waterproof slipcovers on my pillows, so no problem there either.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those saying to put the oil on hours before bed so that it's not so strong when you do go to sleep.

If you just can't stand the scent of the oils while you sleep, and I have several I can't use at night, there are other ways to use them. I find some of the seasonals too strong to sleep with, so I put them on right before I do a workout. As my body gets warmer, the oils really get to work. I put a headband on just under my hair line so that no oil drips into my eye as I exercise. You can do the same thing when you're cleaning the house or cooking. Then wash the oil out before bed. My hair takes hours to dry and I don't like to use a blowdryer, so this works best for me if I do it in the morning before I shower or in the middle of a weekend afternoon.

Hope that helps!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler she said MASSAGE the oils into your scalp, DON'T scrub them in with your fingernails, if I'm reading the same post. Yes, the oils are to be massaged into your scalp---their main purpose is scalp treatment. Smiley Happy