WEN

Trusted Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

You have thick, naturally curly, dry and frizzy hair.. your answer could be right there. Its dry. If you try to brush or comb thick, naturally curly and dry hair without moisture it will break and shed.  

I learned several lessons about naturally curly hair:

First, comb from the ends up always. If you attempt to comb or brush your dry hair from the middle your will cause your curls to snag and break.

Second, never comb or style your curls completly dry. I always spray my hair with water (oil mixed in) or RTM before styling.

Third, normal shedding also doesnt happen like normal with us curlies. Why? because the shed hair just sits somewhere in your curls instead of falling out completely. So when you do any grooming, rubbing or cleansing of your hair they become free and it seems you have far more breakage than you should.

Finally, sleeping on satin! A satin pillowcase or scarf helps reduce breakage.

I would work on adding moisture and careful grooming to see if thats the issue. This also includes healthy fats in your diet. A lot of people forget that our diets can and will effect our hair.

If that doesnt resolve the issue, start exploring other factors. Stress, medication, illness and possible allergies.

I hope it gets better for you!

@nikki48 this is great advice! Do you have a brand of satin pillow case you like? I've not found one that seems like real satin that is even remotely affordable. It may be that they are all super pricey! If I had a brand to trust I'd be more comfortable purchasing. TIA!

Trusted Contributor

@yisbuff2 wrote:

@nikki48 wrote:

You have thick, naturally curly, dry and frizzy hair.. your answer could be right there. Its dry. If you try to brush or comb thick, naturally curly and dry hair without moisture it will break and shed.  

First, comb from the ends up always. If you attempt to comb or brush your dry hair from the middle your will cause your curls to snag and break.

Second, never comb or style your curls completly dry. I always spray my hair with water (oil mixed in) or RTM before styling.

Third, normal shedding also doesnt happen like normal with us curlies. Why? because the shed hair just sits somewhere in your curls instead of falling out completely. So when you do any grooming, rubbing or cleansing of your hair they become free and it seems you have far more breakage than you should.

I would work on adding moisture and careful grooming to see if thats the issue. This also includes healthy fats in your diet. A lot of people forget that our diets can and will effect our hair.

If that doesnt resolve the issue, start exploring other factors. Stress, medication, illness and possible allergies.

@nikki48 this is great advice! Do you have a brand of satin pillow case you like? I've not found one that seems like real satin that is even remotely affordable. It may be that they are all super pricey! If I had a brand to trust I'd be more comfortable purchasing. TIA!

@yisbuff2 I dont have a particular brand. I actually love satin sheets in the summer so over the years I have purchased several sets. Over time and washings they all seem to break down (no matter what I paid for them) and I just pick up another set. I do, however run my fingernails over the sheets in the store to see if they snag or give any resistance. The ones that do, I dont buy. Also rubbing the material against itself shouldnt show any resistance... it should be perfectly smooth. I do the same thing with scarfs.

#IAmTeamWen
Super Contributor

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I just want to add one thing.  I love WEN.  But I am having some trouble with an itchy scalp.  Am I panicking?  No.. My hair has NEVER looked better.  My color stays true, it's in beautiful condition and I get lots of compliments.  I am in the process of trying to figure out which formula is not right for me, which ingredient to be more specific.  And I will avoid it.  But will I stop using WEN?  No, I will not.  I was having hair loss issues before I starting using this line and those issues have greatly subsided.  I wish they would talk about which formulas specifically were an issue for people.  Because I just don't believe in my heart that all of them are a problem.  Too many people use this line and love it.  My scalp does very well with the Tea Tree and Honey Lilac. I'll figure it all out.  I've also incorporated a sulfate free shampoo every third wash or so just to break it up.  I feel very badly for people who have suffered hair loss.  Been there, done that and it is devastating.  I truly hope they get to the bottom of this quickly and resolve it.  For everybody's sake....

Respected Contributor

@cac140 If I remember correctly, it's Sweet Almond Mint that's mostly being used by those with problems.

Frequent Contributor
@cac140 Yeah it's only the Guthy Renker sweet almond mint that the lawsuit is actually about but people have blown it out of proportion, you know media and Internet frenzy is easy to start. The formula is different through them than what you get on QVC. I love my WEN, my hair has never been better! I hope you figure out what your allergy is quickly!! Just a thought: have you been in chlorine this summer at all and was it when the itching started? I may be totally off base so don't take my word for it but I know if I get in the pool and don't rinse my hair and skin soon after I get itchy everything. I'm not actually allergic it's just so drying to the skin. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @nikki48. I'll try it!

Esteemed Contributor

You are using soy based products and may be simply sensitive to the soy. Try something wheat based from the classics or rice based Bamboo Green Tea.  There is a right WEN for you. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

This was on CBS tonight 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-issues-safety-alert-for-popular-hair-care-product-over-hair-loss-com...

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Super Contributor

Thanks for the feedback on the Sweet Almond Mint.  I actually love that formula but bought it from QVC, not Guthy-Renker.  What a mess.  Hope it's all straightened out soon so we can stop reading about this and the problem is resolved once and for all.

Trusted Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

@yisbuff2 wrote:

@nikki48 wrote:

@yisbuff2 I dont have a particular brand. I actually love satin sheets in the summer so over the years I have purchased several sets. Over time and washings they all seem to break down (no matter what I paid for them) and I just pick up another set. I do, however run my fingernails over the sheets in the store to see if they snag or give any resistance. The ones that do, I dont buy. Also rubbing the material against itself shouldnt show any resistance... it should be perfectly smooth. I do the same thing with scarfs.

Thank you @nikki48! That really helps. I imagine satin sheets are rather nice. I'm going to BBB for something else today, so I'm going to check them out.